Every retro console seems to have a USB version of its controller except for Dreamcast

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Every retro console seems to have a USB version of its controller except for Dreamcast

Post by Calavera » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:09 pm

Over the years I've seen NES,SNES,Genesis,Saturn and Playstation controllers that are made for PC with a USB cable. Even the Turbografx 16 has a USB controller. About a year ago or so I bought an N64 USB controller just for fun since it had been so long since I've actually used an N64 controller.

Long ago somewhere around 2002 or so I bought a device called the PC Magicbox. It is a USB device that has inputs for Sega Saturn,Playstation and Sega Dreamcast controllers. I originally bought it so I could use a Dreamcast controller on the PC. Unfortunately it has some kind of weird issue with the analog on the DC controller. I actually still use it to this day to use an official Saturn controller with various emulators.

So recently I thought I'd look up how much a USB Dreamcast controller was. I thought I'd get one if they were cheap enough just for fun to use with a Dreamcast emulator. I searched around and to my surprise there are no USB Dreamcast controllers. They do have a DC to USB converter by Mayflash that I assume doesn't have the analog problem the old PC Magicbox does but still I wanted a brand new DC controller with USB.

I just found it surprising that they have USB controllers for so many systems but the Dreamcast isn't one of them. The only reason I can think of why they never made one is because it is so similar to the Xbox controller.

While I was searching for a USB Dreamcast controller I did come across this.

Apparently they made a "modern" Dreamcast controller. It looks OK but I'd prefer the original DC controller.

Anyways I just find it odd that there are no USB DC controllers. I guess I'll stick to using my Xbox controller for DC emulators.

ian
Null Dream Team

Re: Every retro console seems to have a USB version of its controller except for Dreamcast

Post by ian » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:54 pm

Use a genuine DC controller on a genuine DC?
SOLVED.

DC's are still cheap, and so are GDEMU clone devices.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Every retro console seems to have a USB version of its controller except for Dreamcast

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:53 pm

A Xbox One pad or an 8bitdo one is good enough.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:57 am

ian wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:54 pm
SOLVED.

Psssh! Can a genuine DC upscale the games to 1080p making them look great on a modern TV?

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:21 am

Calavera wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:57 am
ian wrote:
SOLVED.

Psssh! Can a genuine DC upscale the games to 1080p making them look great on a modern TV?
use an old TV then. Or better yet, get a VGA box and a computer monitor.
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:42 am

ian wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:21 am
Calavera wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:57 am
ian wrote:
SOLVED.

use an old TV then. Or better yet, get a VGA box and a computer monitor.
They still won't look as good as they do on an emulator even with the VGA box. I used a VGA box and a Gateway VX1120 CRT on the Dreamcast for years back in the early 00s. Shenmue II looked AMAZING on it. That was awesome then but nowadays I'd rather have an emulator and all the games ready to go in 1080p at the click of a mouse.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:53 pm

If you want better looking games, why not play newer games that look better?
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:31 pm

ian wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:53 pm
If you want better looking games, why not play newer games that look better?
Why can't you just let me play Crazy Taxi 2 in 1080p on an emulator in peace? :olol: