Windows 11 thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Hawq
Site Admin

Re: Has anybody here tried Windows 11 yet?

Post by Hawq »

Ran the 'is my pc ready' thing last night, not a single needed thing was there

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hawq
Site Admin

Windows 10 vs 11 | Features & Changes

Post by Hawq »

I was sure there was a thread for Win 11 bits in it but forgot it, if I'm remembering right just wang this into the right one

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Windows 11 thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hawq wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:21 am I was sure there was a thread for Win 11 bits in it but forgot it, if I'm remembering right just wang this into the right one
I just renamed this Cal W11 topic so we can have one thread on it.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Calavera wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:44 am Maybe when Forza Horizon 5 comes out I might update to 11. I still play FH4 here and there and I've heard it has problems running on 11.
Well I've been playing a lot of Forza Horizon 5......on Windows 10! When I made that post I think I was under the impression that FH5 would require Windows 11. I just finally updated my Windows 10 installation to 20H2! The only issue I ran into was after 20H2 was installed my desktop gadgets were no longer working. It was easily fixed by uninstalling the gadgets and downloading and reinstalling it from gadgetsrevived.com. Gadgets are a must have for me. The reason for that is because for many many years I have had my second monitor loaded with system monitoring gadgets.

The main ones I need are the GPU and CPU ones. The others are mainly there just to fill out the rest of the screen although the network monitor and even the clock come in handy sometimes. So I guess it is just the drives meter that I really never use.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

But…why? Why dedicate a monitor to that information? Do you really look at your CPU load so much you have to dedicate an entire screen to it?

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

melancholy wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:40 am But…why? Why dedicate a monitor to that information? Do you really look at your CPU load so much you have to dedicate an entire screen to it?
It isn't strictly only used for system monitoring. I use it as a normal second monitor. I like to be able to see the CPU/GPU temps and ram usage while gaming. It was almost essential when I had my old 290X. I always had to keep an eye on it's temp. It is also nice to have incase some rogue program starts maxing CPU usage. I do know that I could use the overlay feature in Afterburner while gaming but eh I just like having all that information available. If I bought a second monitor specifically to only have those gadgets running that would be a bit much but I've got the second monitor anyways so why not have it display some useful information when I'm not running anything else on it.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Calavera wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:21 pm It was almost essential when I had my old 290X. I always had to keep an eye on it's temp.
Ugh, I remember those days. That card was one of the worst I owned.
Calavera wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:21 pm If I bought a second monitor specifically to only have those gadgets running that would be a bit much but I've got the second monitor anyways so why not have it display some useful information when I'm not running anything else on it.
Okay, that makes more sense. When I read your post, I thought you just had a monitor dedicated to…well, monitoring, and I thought that was pretty useless.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

melancholy wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:58 pm
Calavera wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:21 pm It was almost essential when I had my old 290X. I always had to keep an eye on it's temp.
Ugh, I remember those days. That card was one of the worst I owned.
I just checked Ebay to see how much the old 290X is going for. They are selling on average for about $180 with some with the original box going for $220+! I realize it is hard to get a good GPU at this time but still it is very surprising to me that people are willing to pay so much for a video card that is nearly 9 years old!

Apparently it is still usable in some new games. It can average around 60fps in Forza Horizon 5 on medium settings.

Looking back at video cards for each year it seems 2013 and the R9 290X is about as old as you can go and still be able to run new games at a playable level in 1080p.

The GTX 1660 Super cards are still going for around $500. Parts only 1660 Super video cards are selling for around $220! 6GB GTX 1060s from 2016 are going for $250. This shit is insane!