Selling my old Genesis and games. How much do you think is a fair price?

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Selling my old Genesis and games. How much do you think is a fair price?

Post by Calavera »

It is a Genesis Model 1 with original AC and RF adapter. Comes with two original controllers (one red writing,one white writing) and a Quick-shot arcade stick. The only "issue" is the plastic cover for the Sega CD hookup is missing. The games included are

Sonic
Sonic 2
Sonic and Knuckles
Ecco The Dolphin
Tom & Jerry Frantic Antics
Lemmings
Ms. Pack-Man
Buster's Hidden Treasure
Cool Spot
Jurassic Park
Simpsons Bart's Nightmare
Frogger

Quad Challenge
Menacer Lightgun cartridge
Super Street Fighter II
6-Pak

I'll look everything up individually and see what it is selling for, but I still wanted to post it here to get your opinion. Without looking anything up I'd think it'd be worth at least $100-$125.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Selling my old Genesis and games. How much do you think is a fair price?

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

More like $250-$300.

Sonic and Knuckles, Buster's Hidden Treasure & Bart's Nightmare you should be able to get $30 each for those.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

You have the High Definition Graphics version of the Model 1, which sells for twice as much as a Model 1 without that writing. It’s because that version of Genesis uses a discrete Yamaha chip for audio processing, whereas the other models use a ASIC Yamaha chip that runs multiple functions beyond just audio, causing it to sound less pure and more like an emulator.

If you happen to have a Model 1 that doesn’t show a ‘Produced by or licensed by Sega’ screen when booting a cartridge, you have the least common Genesis of all and could get even more money for it. It’s the only one without a filter for the Yamaha chip and is the most sought after by purists.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

melancholy wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:54 pm If you happen to have a Model 1 that doesn’t show a ‘Produced by or licensed by Sega’ screen when booting a cartridge, you have the least common Genesis of all and could get even more money for it. It’s the only one without a filter for the Yamaha chip and is the most sought after by purists.
I've heard about that before and was almost certain that mine didn't display the Produced by screen. But alas it does have that screen. I haven't sold anything yet. At first I was going to sell it in one big lot but I would probably do better to piece it out.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Sad. I would have inquired about buying it off you if it didn’t have the license screen.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

melancholy wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:22 am Sad. I would have inquired about buying it off you if it didn’t have the license screen.
That IS sad, I would have much rather sold it to you then mess around with selling it on Ebay. The only other "retro" video game stuff I'm trying to sell is several Dreamcast VMUs, a rumble pak and a couple of controllers. I've had them on the FB marketplace and have gotten the typical thing of people saying they are interested then dissapearing.