Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
ian
Null Dream Team

Re: Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

Post by ian »

Those are some fucking nice specs, and that is quite a decent price too. Plenty of Solitaire and word processing for Roofus!
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

ian wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:57 pm Those are some fucking nice specs, and that is quite a decent price too. Plenty of Solitaire and word processing for Roofus!
The price was even better. I got an open box one!

And screw solitaire! I'm finally trying Minesweeper!

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

ian wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:57 pm Those are some fucking nice specs, and that is quite a decent price too. Plenty of Solitaire and word processing for Roofus!
The price was even better. I got an open box one!

And screw solitaire! I'm finally trying Minesweeper!

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

2 copies of Minesweeper at the same time?

you're crazy, but the computer SHOULD be able to handle it.
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I like my new phone enough to give it a name:
Tommy Mottorola.

I also picked up a HDMI to component adapter which worked well for all of 3 hours before it shat itself.
-Two Interactive.

2dr
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by 2dr »

Was it made in China?

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

2dr wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:51 am Was it made in China?
What are you talking about doc? All the best stuff is made in... China.
-Two Interactive.

2dr
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by 2dr »

ian wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:45 am
2dr wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:51 am Was it made in China?
What are you talking about doc? All the best stuff is made in... China.
Great Scott!

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Preemptive post! New monitor.
A single Dead pixel in the far top right corner is enough for me to ditch a 14 month old $3000 4K TV...
I tolerate no imperfections on my displays. Even when a bug lands on my screen in the middle of the night and I squash it, I have to clean the screen perfect before I keep using it.

My current Asus PB278Q has been a simply fantastic monitor. At 1440P it doesn't need $96,000 of video cards to run it like 4K does. And has edged out monitors costing multitudes more than it did and many years newer on refresh, colour accuracy, viewing angle, inputs, and displaying lower resolutions.

But today, for the first time I've noticed some ghosting. If I leave a white background displayed for about 5 minutes, it burns in, and stays there for a long while.
NOPE!

So the long hunt for a replacement Monitor for daily use begins. Makes it really hard that all the shops are closed at the moment so I can't go in and check out other models. A monitor is LITERALLY the only technology I will never buy online.
Never have, and never will. Happy to spend 3 grand, but not taking manufacturers claims, reviewers, salespeople or any of that shit as gospel.

I liked this monitor, only 8 years old, but I doubt there's any single thing under $650 that will come close to what it could do before the ghosting.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

So I got a
Creality Ender 3 V2
3D printer with 1KG of filament for AU$351 w/ free shipping. Not too shabby when you consider on their site they have it for US$262 (~AUD$365) and that doesn't come with the additional 1KG of filament.

I also got an upgraded extruder and some upgraded springs for the heat bed.

All total for the printer, 1KG of filament, upgraded extruder and springs it was under AU$390 (~US$280), so I can't complain.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

What are you going to make with it?

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Probably just random shit lol. I needed some plastic replacement covers for a few things and they're so much of a hassle to find, it's easier to just print some. I also saw how to make a DIY Guitar Hero guitar, which is cool. I have heaps but I don't have any that work well and I love playing Clone Hero on PC.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

$1299 - ASUS TUF RX 6900 XT Top Edition

Cheapest this card has been in AU for god knows how long. My GTX 1070 hasn't been cutting it for a long time and I was sick of waiting.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Noice!

My 1070 doesn't cut it for AAA games anymore, it's nearing end of life and even the very plain looking and slow paced house flipper now at medium settings at 1440P screen tears like a mother fucker, and it used to be fine.

However, the card is still a champion on media duties, old shit and being quiet.
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

My 1070 has been downgraded to my TV computer in my lounge. That's mostly couch coop stuff anyway with a few other things. I can still play stuff like Forza pretty well on that card, so it's not all bad. Dying Light 2 was pretty rough to play on it, though.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I have purchased a Corsair HS35 gaming headset for $60. I don't know what makes it gaming since it doesn't have RGB lights? Been testing it for a few hours. It's alright, although WAY too much bass for music I could see chatting on this thing or maybe some movie watching.

I haven't had a headset in a good few years since my Razer Carcharias died. And the Carcharias was Razers only ever good product... Actually, that's a bit harsh... Razer have made some excellent soft mouse pads over the years. Too bad they've never made even a half decent mouse, and their only half decent keyboard was ruined by dogshit software. But the Carcharias? Holy fucking shitballs that was a good product, it was so comfortable you could have your eyes closed and someone could place it on your head and you wouldn't even notice.

I am someone who typically hates headphones, ear buds, etc etc (and it doesn't matter if they're $3 or $3000) I hate sound directly pumped into my ears and being deprived of environmental sounds makes me feel. I guess claustrophobic is the word.

I could wear this new HS35 all night because they're light weight (unlike all of logitechs offers which are either so crap you can't wear them for more than 5 minutes. or good, but weigh as much as 2 cinderblocks pinched into the side of your head). They're not terribly loud, but for how light they are, I'll forgive this.

I don't know if the mic is any good, but I guess I'll find out when someone talks me into playing online with them again. But plugging them into actual audio equipment with proper equalizers yielded some good enough results. Daft Punk is always the first test of audio stuff, and then I really threw the headset in the deep end with Deep Purples Child in Time on Vinyl.
They didn't explode playing Child in Time, and I couldn't have them maxed listening to that song anyway, which means they've passed.

All Audio products should be subjected to Child in Time before they get sold.
-Two Interactive.

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

Roofus wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:28 pm ASUS ROG Zephyrus GA503QR-211.ZG15
Nice I got a ROG Strix G512LV a couple of years ago.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Bitcoin crashing means I finally got a new video card. PNY RTX 3070. Should be a modest upgrade from my 2070 (non-super), which is going in my son’s computer to replace his 1070.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I've re-purchased a used Logitech G19 for $40. It's the best keyboard they ever made. I originally had a G19 when Dick Smith Electronics cleared them out for $40 and used it daily untill I fell for the mechanical RGB fad, I fell for the G810 which had a piece of shit space bar, and software so dogshit it was practically unusable.

Over the years I have owned the following Logitech keyboards at some stage... G11, G13, G15, G15 (v2), G19, G105, G110, G510, G710+, G910, G410, G810, G610, G213, G413, G613, and a G513

The G19 is hands down the best, followed by the original G15, and then the G15 V2 in a distant 3rd. The G19 came out in 2009, and for one reason or another (mostly shit build quality like switches breaking off when cleaning keycaps and double letters from a single press, or fucked loud and/or wonky space bars or progressively worse software) nothing Logitech has ever put out touches it.

I'm nominating it for a LEGENDARY status.
It's the best membrane keyboard ever made hands down, and frankly embarrasses most mechanical keyboards, and humiliates every single Logitech keyboard since. It even humiliates the G19s which had WASD and up down left and right keys highlit grey... FUCKING GAMERS KNOW WHERE THE FUCK WASD ARE YOU FUCKHEADS!

With this legendary status it joins the other legends:
IBM's Model M (buckling spring mechanical before the switch to membrane)
Razers Blackwidow (When they used real cherry switches before they switched to their own shit switches)
Microsoft's X4 and X6 Sidewinder (Microsoft's peak of membrane after nailing it 99.5% of the time since the 90's)

If I could only ever own a G19, Model M, Blackwidow, and sidewinder ever again I would be happy. My current 8 million dollar SteelSeries Apex M800 will make a good riser for the G19.
-Two Interactive.