Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Hawq
Site Admin

Re: Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

Post by Hawq »

Sony Xperia L1

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Just ordered a Creality CR-10S 3D printer from Amazon Warehouse Deals. It’s supposed to have some cosmetic blemishes, but was $200 off as a result. Hopefully it works out well.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Printer arrived yesterday. Started assembling it and realized there are two bolts and a spring missing from the parts, plus one of the major plastic pieces on a sensor is broken and near unusable. I’m going out today to find similar replacements to the bolts and springs, then once it’s up and running, my first print will be a new sensor holder. After that, everything will hopefully be good on it. Inconvenient, but $2 in missing parts is still worth the $200 discount.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

8"inch HE080IA-01D screen + HDMI/VGA/AV Control Driver Board

It's 4:3, so should be good with the RPi, the mini consoles & the Dreamcast.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

What’s your plans with the screen? Some kind of handheld device?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I'm thinking of putting it in a thin-ish box with a RPi + battery pack and using it with one of these:

I got one last year to use with a tablet and it's pretty good connected to the coffee table to my left, so it's fairly close like a handheld. I've already got a bluetooth keyboard, mouse & control pad so it should be good for retro games as well as old 4:3 TV shows.

Here's where I ordered the screen from:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HDMI-VG ... 20866.html

It was 15% off due to some sale + I used a voucher so it was only A$45.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

That’s very similar to what I did in the bedroom. I mounted a 8” TV on a PVC pipe above my bed so I could lay in bed and play games at night. And when I’m done, I just swing it away. It’s fantastic and has subsequently made all of my handhelds obsolete in the process.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

25 years ago people would have pissed their pants at the thought of laying in bed playing every 8-bit and 16-bit ever made on one system, now we do it on a $35 computer. :olol:

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

3 Way HDMI Switch, though if I cant get it to behave not for long (damn thing had rf style interfernce on it at first then went silent & finally wouldnt change inputs either automatically or by hitting the button) its one of these ones is anyones had one & knows whats up, if not then its goin back on Monday I guess

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I've been using one like that for about a decade, never had a problem with it. I'm sure you had it set up correctly, but I'll ask anyway, did you put the cable that goes to the TV in the output slot?

Been thinking about getting another one of those with 5 ports.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

yup otherwise I wouldnt have even got the flickering mess that I did, unless the freeview recorder aint giving it enough power then I'm stumped but even with the blu-ray on as well it seemed to do nothing, wouldnt even switch so probably not a power issue

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I have bought lots.. Not even going to get started.

I'm now thinking of getting some HP spectre X2's. I'm not a fan of the tablet side, because tablets are still both oversized fucking phones and under powered fucking computers.

But these top end 2 in 1 detachable spectres have the grunt of real computers, but are still light enough to be used in bed... They're like the bare minimum of a real computer, at less than 2KG which really appeals to me.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

iPhone SE $99. ($102 because I had to buy a $2 optus prepaid sim, then port it's number to telstra)
JBL GO portable speaker $25 (Cause the guy at JBhifi was a legend)

Got the phone for $99 because I signed up for a 12 month telstra plan. $49 a month. 25GB data + unlimited calls and texts each month.
Was impressed at my recent telstra prepaid 4GX pocket modem, but not impressed by the price of recharges, or the price of mobile data plans.(which are a fucking rip off: $45 a month for 10GB and you can't use the data plan sim in a phone, they shut the sim down) I can use my plans data on my pocket modem if I want (Or just use the iphone as a hotspot)

There was a similar deal to get an s9 for $699.. but 2 year contract at $49.. and the S9 IS TOO FUCKING BIG.

Remember when the race was on to make phones smaller and smaller? and now the race is for bigger and bigger.. It peaked with the Galaxy s3 and samsung have fucked up so bad in the past 6 years I have gone to an apple to own a phone I can hold and use comfortably with 1 hand.

The guy at JB hifi who signed me up was really nice. And after I bought the phone he said if I wanted any accessories for it, preowned games, or portable storage, grab him and he'd cut the prices for me. Since I got a new phone, and new plan so cheap, and he was so nice (called me the exact customer you want on a Friday night) I bought some other stuff too.

Tonight I'm looking more seriously at a new laptop, and will still probably be a spectre X2.
I dropped my Acer ultrabook today picking it up from dining room table right onto the floor. Fucked the sound (No audio device is registered) and worse, Keyboard backlight is dead..
Using it for 2 minutes without a backlight was so infuriating I just threw it on the floor, as the single best thing about that laptop was the backlight. Now it's worthless..

So new phone, soon to be new computer. Might buy a macbook and just give up.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Bought a 65" Samsung TV https://www.jbhifi.com.au/samsung/samsu ... tv/636859/

I got it considerably cheaper than listed above. It's a whole new world of viewing for me, it's the first time I've experienced 4K inside the home. :olol:

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

That's a nice looking TV. And big!

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

So it's bigger than I anticipated I can tell you that much. When I saw the box the first thing I thought was "shit, this might be too big." After I put it where my old one was it looks ridiculous. When I have a spare minute I'll upload a couple pics of the screen I took to show my boss. The quality comes across very nice even in a photo.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

This won't do it any justice, but I took these pictures watching Planet Earth 2 in 4K.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It looks good.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Looks really good. Usually on the bigger TVs there's some "noise" but those images look super detailed. How does normal TV look out of curiosity?

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Not the best lol. So we have cable TV as well but even though we have a HD set top box we dropped the HD packages years back because it's too fucking expensive. So that looks OK at best in SD. The free to air channels delivered in HD look fine. Streaming services are by far the best on the TV though. Plus I'm sitting about 2.5 - 3m from the TV as well so the distance and size works really well.