Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin
Posts: 16126
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:33 am

Re: Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:40 pm

Hawq wrote:Ah, does doing it that way effectivley kill that 7 if I choose to go back at some point though?
I don't know but you probably won't want to go back. W10 is pretty good.

User avatar
ian
Null Dream Team
Posts: 2331
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:36 am

Re: Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

Post by ian » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:01 pm

You can use your windows 7 key to upgrade (last week to do it) and if you still have the 7 key and installation media, you can still use the key for 7 ;) even on another machine if you'd like..

What I did was upgrade to 10, then installed my old seven ultimate on another computer I sold where the buyer NEVER WANTED windows 10
So they don't have the option, because it's tied to my machine.. Still shows legit 7 for them, and they don't get the annoying upgrade shit and still legit 10 for me..

But don't listen to people who say it saves the licence to the cmos.. that's total crap.. it saves to the primary hard drive.

(you may run into problems if you ever do a clean install of 10 on a fresh drive without the original key you used to upgrade.. but if you have the upgrade tied to your microsoft account, they are very helpful at fixing activation up)
Hank Azaria not playing Apu on the Simpsons will make the role as irrelevant as the Simpsons has been as a series since 1999!

Hawq
Site Admin
Posts: 2435
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:45 am

Re: Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

Post by Hawq » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:07 pm

ah so even with a fresh 10 on my new machine (currently a blank slate) the 7 key should work, good to know

User avatar
ian
Null Dream Team
Posts: 2331
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:36 am

Re: Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

Post by ian » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:15 am

Hawq wrote:ah so even with a fresh 10 on my new machine (currently a blank slate) the 7 key should work, good to know
yeah, after you upgrade from 7 to 10 on the new machine, you can use the 7 key for something else. 10 counts as a different licence.. different key etc. :D
Hank Azaria not playing Apu on the Simpsons will make the role as irrelevant as the Simpsons has been as a series since 1999!

User avatar
melancholy
Global Mod
Posts: 1684
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:32 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

Post by melancholy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:17 am

Hawq wrote:Ah, does doing it that way effectivley kill that 7 if I choose to go back at some point though?
Short answer is no. Long answer is that it depends on what you mean by 'kill'.

-If you install 7 and then upgrade to 10, you have 30 days to revert back to 7. After 30 days, 10 automatically deletes the Windows.old folder where your 7 installation is being stored. But you can always fresh install 7 again.

-If you fresh install 10 and want to use a 7 key, you have to skip all prompts when it asks for a key. Then once you are actually in Windows, click the Settings button and there will be a bar at the bottom of the window asking you to activate. Click the bar, punch in your 7 key, and sit back while it activates.

Both of these methods do not invalidate the Windows 7 key. How the actual 10 activation works is that it verifies you have a legit key, then scans your motherboard and CPU for serials and creates a digital key that is stored on Windows servers. The nice thing about this is that if you ever wipe your computer, you don't need any keys to reactivate 10. As long as you keep the same motherboard and CPU, Windows will activate immediate once you get online, no keys needed.

But none of this affects the 7 key. If you install 10 and then decide you want to install 7 half a year later, you can totally do it.

Oh, and you better do it soon. The free offer for 10 ends this week.

User avatar
ian
Null Dream Team
Posts: 2331
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:36 am

Re: Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

Post by ian » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:20 am

Also Hawq.. your PC is way, way, WAY, WAYYYYYY over-spec'd for a 960.. get rid of it immediately and get at least a 980 or 2 in there!!

Within a week, I expect you to have a decent video card in there! ;)
Hank Azaria not playing Apu on the Simpsons will make the role as irrelevant as the Simpsons has been as a series since 1999!

User avatar
ian
Null Dream Team
Posts: 2331
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:36 am

Re: Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

Post by ian » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:24 am

melancholy wrote:Short answer is no. Long answer is that it depends on what you mean by 'kill'.

-If you install 7 and then upgrade to 10, you have 30 days to revert back to 7. After 30 days, 10 automatically deletes the Windows.old folder where your 7 installation is being stored. But you can always fresh install 7 again.

-If you fresh install 10 and want to use a 7 key, you have to skip all prompts when it asks for a key. Then once you are actually in Windows, click the Settings button and there will be a bar at the bottom of the window asking you to activate. Click the bar, punch in your 7 key, and sit back while it activates.

Thanks for putting what I was trying to say more eloquently.
Hank Azaria not playing Apu on the Simpsons will make the role as irrelevant as the Simpsons has been as a series since 1999!

User avatar
melancholy
Global Mod
Posts: 1684
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:32 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

Post by melancholy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:28 am

ian wrote:
melancholy wrote:Short answer is no. Long answer is that it depends on what you mean by 'kill'.

-If you install 7 and then upgrade to 10, you have 30 days to revert back to 7. After 30 days, 10 automatically deletes the Windows.old folder where your 7 installation is being stored. But you can always fresh install 7 again.

-If you fresh install 10 and want to use a 7 key, you have to skip all prompts when it asks for a key. Then once you are actually in Windows, click the Settings button and there will be a bar at the bottom of the window asking you to activate. Click the bar, punch in your 7 key, and sit back while it activates.

Thanks for putting what I was trying to say more eloquently.
I just didn't realize there was a page 3 to this thread. :olol:

User avatar
ian
Null Dream Team
Posts: 2331
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:36 am

Re: Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

Post by ian » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:36 am

melancholy wrote:
ian wrote:
melancholy wrote:Short answer is no. Long answer is that it depends on what you mean by 'kill'.

-If you install 7 and then upgrade to 10, you have 30 days to revert back to 7. After 30 days, 10 automatically deletes the Windows.old folder where your 7 installation is being stored. But you can always fresh install 7 again.

-If you fresh install 10 and want to use a 7 key, you have to skip all prompts when it asks for a key. Then once you are actually in Windows, click the Settings button and there will be a bar at the bottom of the window asking you to activate. Click the bar, punch in your 7 key, and sit back while it activates.

Thanks for putting what I was trying to say more eloquently.
I just didn't realize there was a page 3 to this thread. :olol:

Your explanation was clearer than mine.. although one thing came up:
"As long as you keep the same motherboard and CPU, Windows will activate immediate once you get online"

I'm putting an asterisk on that one.. In theory, it should do that.. IN THEORY, COMMUNISM WORKS.. IN THEORY!
I did a fresh install on my new M.2 SSD.. All exact same hardware.. (and even other hard drives) but it simply didn't register. I had a working/activated/legit windows on my sata SSD, yanked it out, new drive in. clean install. YOU ARE A PIRATE, BUY A KEY YOU SCUMBAG!!!
Online chat with ms, fixed in about 30 minutes.
Hank Azaria not playing Apu on the Simpsons will make the role as irrelevant as the Simpsons has been as a series since 1999!

Hawq
Site Admin
Posts: 2435
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:45 am

Re: Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

Post by Hawq » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:48 am

ian wrote:Also Hawq.. your PC is way, way, WAY, WAYYYYYY over-spec'd for a 960..
Yeah I know but it was a 980 or the higher end CPU & a gfx card is way easier to change later on (after the systems paid off) thanks for all the info chaps now I just need to wrestle it out of the box, damn things packed so securley it wont budge :olol:

User avatar
ian
Null Dream Team
Posts: 2331
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:36 am

Re: Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

Post by ian » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:04 am

Probably a good call, and now the enthusiasts are getting 1080's and new titan x's prepare for a swamp of used 980's at rock bottom prices.

in a few months even my video cards will be rendered worthless, and I'll offload them for like $300 each for the NEW best.. and I'll be happy for at least 6 months again :olol:
Hank Azaria not playing Apu on the Simpsons will make the role as irrelevant as the Simpsons has been as a series since 1999!

User avatar
melancholy
Global Mod
Posts: 1684
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:32 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

Post by melancholy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:10 am

ian wrote:
melancholy wrote:
ian wrote:
melancholy wrote:Short answer is no. Long answer is that it depends on what you mean by 'kill'.

-If you install 7 and then upgrade to 10, you have 30 days to revert back to 7. After 30 days, 10 automatically deletes the Windows.old folder where your 7 installation is being stored. But you can always fresh install 7 again.

-If you fresh install 10 and want to use a 7 key, you have to skip all prompts when it asks for a key. Then once you are actually in Windows, click the Settings button and there will be a bar at the bottom of the window asking you to activate. Click the bar, punch in your 7 key, and sit back while it activates.

Thanks for putting what I was trying to say more eloquently.
I just didn't realize there was a page 3 to this thread. :olol:

Your explanation was clearer than mine.. although one thing came up:
"As long as you keep the same motherboard and CPU, Windows will activate immediate once you get online"

I'm putting an asterisk on that one.. In theory, it should do that.. IN THEORY, COMMUNISM WORKS.. IN THEORY!
I did a fresh install on my new M.2 SSD.. All exact same hardware.. (and even other hard drives) but it simply didn't register. I had a working/activated/legit windows on my sata SSD, yanked it out, new drive in. clean install. YOU ARE A PIRATE, BUY A KEY YOU SCUMBAG!!!
Online chat with ms, fixed in about 30 minutes.
Yeah, but I think that's just because you're Ian, the guy with the Windows issues that no other person ever has. It's kinda your superpower to break Windows in unexpected ways.

User avatar
Skynet
Site Admin
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:54 am

Re: Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

Post by Skynet » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:12 am

melancholy wrote:Yeah, but I think that's just because you're Ian, the guy with the Windows issues that no other person ever has. It's kinda your superpower to break Windows in unexpected ways.
This is probably the best way to sum up ian in all the years we've known each other on DCEmu and BG. :olol:

User avatar
ian
Null Dream Team
Posts: 2331
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:36 am

Re: Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

Post by ian » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:16 pm

I could avoid the problems if I was happy just to install and leave it.

I never stick to factory settings because I'm not a lame ass n00b.
Hank Azaria not playing Apu on the Simpsons will make the role as irrelevant as the Simpsons has been as a series since 1999!

User avatar
ian
Null Dream Team
Posts: 2331
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:36 am

Re: Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

Post by ian » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:54 pm

Back on topic. I have purchased a 42" panasonic plasma TV for $130
Hank Azaria not playing Apu on the Simpsons will make the role as irrelevant as the Simpsons has been as a series since 1999!

User avatar
ian
Null Dream Team
Posts: 2331
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:36 am

Re: Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

Post by ian » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:41 pm

Asus 6970 with massive arctic cooler (Hoping this fits in my media PC, it's 320MM long)
Antec 9002 V3 Case no sides
$40

And in some good news, that panasonic TV I bought was listed incorrectly.. what I thought I was buying was a 1024 x 1080 panel from 2007.
Picked it up, it's a 1920X1080 panel from 2009... Really clean, good looking TV

I need a bigger desk to fit it, I'm keeping it.
Hank Azaria not playing Apu on the Simpsons will make the role as irrelevant as the Simpsons has been as a series since 1999!

User avatar
ian
Null Dream Team
Posts: 2331
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:36 am

Re: Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

Post by ian » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:06 pm

2 gimmicks in one device!

logitech g810.

not only the mechanical gimmick but the rgb gimmick too! :olol:

why not, ebay has been very kind to me in the past 2 months :obiggrin:
Hank Azaria not playing Apu on the Simpsons will make the role as irrelevant as the Simpsons has been as a series since 1999!

User avatar
ian
Null Dream Team
Posts: 2331
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:36 am

Re: Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

Post by ian » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:25 pm

Razer goliathus Extended mousemat.
Belkin universal notebook charger.

Typing on this keyboard is going to take a lot of getting used to, I'm missing keys like a bitch and the colour wave is giving me a seizure!

I've been playing around with the backlighting for about an hour now. This is a very good keyboard, Solid and quiet. My only complaint (about the board that is) is I like to bash the space bar and it makes just a bit too much noise compared to all the other keys.

Learning how to type again would be my only other complaint. :olol: This thing feels different to any keyboard I've ever used, be it mechanical, membrane or any brand.
Hank Azaria not playing Apu on the Simpsons will make the role as irrelevant as the Simpsons has been as a series since 1999!

User avatar
ian
Null Dream Team
Posts: 2331
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:36 am

Re: Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

Post by ian » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:59 pm

Sold my old beat up g700 mouse for $40
Sold my old hyper sensitive spare g700 for $40

Bought a new g700s mouse to go with my shiny new keyboard, and shiny new mouse/desk pad. $86

Will be buying a new desk soon for $200 (this one can hardly fit 2 27" monitors)

and a new chair for a similar amount.. (the backrest on this just falls flat, and it's missing a wheel) :olol:
Hank Azaria not playing Apu on the Simpsons will make the role as irrelevant as the Simpsons has been as a series since 1999!

ET's Gay Lover
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:14 pm

Re: Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

Post by ET's Gay Lover » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:13 pm

I borrowed for a colleague a 36" monitor and several multi TB hard-drives in June; given that his interstate relocation was early in August and I have heard not a word regarding their return, I would assume that they belong to me now. :winner:
I do not know what to write as my signature. :dontknow"

Post Reply