The Zelda Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: The Zelda Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The Zelda 64: Dawn & Dusk intro cinematic that plays at the start of a new game. This is an expansion to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time that is compatible with both the 64DD and flashcarts.

ROM version release (v1.0)

Zelda 64 - Dawn & Dusk ROM Patch release.

See README.md for more information on the expansion and its development.

This should be playable on flashcarts.

EDIT: Emulators might have issues with this ROM. A fix is being worked on, please wait a little bit.

This release contains the following in Assets:

Japanese NTSC 1.0 ROM BPS patch (DawnDusk_J_1.0.bps)
Japanese NTSC 1.1 ROM BPS patch (DawnDusk_J_1.1.bps)
Japanese NTSC 1.2 ROM BPS patch (DawnDusk_J_1.2.bps)
USA NTSC 1.0 ROM BPS patch (DawnDusk_U_1.0.bps)
USA NTSC 1.1 ROM BPS patch (DawnDusk_U_1.1.bps)
USA NTSC 1.2 ROM BPS patch (DawnDusk_U_1.2.bps)

Download the appropriate file you want to use depending on the retail NTSC release you own.
Use software like FLoating IPS (https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1040/) to patch your ROM.

See PLAYING.md for more information on how to play.

https://github.com/LuigiBlood/zelda_daw ... ag/v1.0rom

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:24 pm
Definitely disappointing that they pushed the hardware so far with something like Link's Awakening. At this point, I wonder if they can patch the water effects out of Gopongo Swamp.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The Link's Awakening Game Boy steelbook is awesome. Inside of the case has screenshots of the GB version of LA in it.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:59 am There are framerate issues in the game. The game is still supposed to be very good.

ian might not have noticed but the game looks a little different than the Game Boy version, which is why it doesn't run exactly the same..

Zoidberg might not have noticed that the switch is about 4000 times more powerful than a gameboy.

There is not a single excuse for slowdown in the game.

I forgave slowdowns in breath of the wild (because it’s still fantastic and there’s parts where mobs and the world just get a bit too much for a handheld) but when you take a game I loved from I REPEAT, a quarter of a century ago, fuck it up and charge full price... ahaha no.

The best part of the game is the steelbook... at least it works properly.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

No Manhandla fuck this sheeeeuuuuuuut.

The day a Zelda game can top the feeling of Ocelot as a little cub (no I don't mean that in a gay way you pervs) playing the original NES game, of finding Level 9, playing my ass off in that goddamn dungeon for WEEKS, and of finally hearing the sounds of Ganon one room away, I'll fucking implode. Has yet to happen with any of these games.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Zelda: Ocarina of Time PC port looks likely as fan decompilation ‘clears 60%’

A similar reverse-engineered Super Mario 64 project resulted in a PC port last year

A Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time PC port is looking more and more likely, as a fan decompilation project clears 60% completion.

The community-driven Zelda Reverse Engineering Team (ZRET) has been working for more than a year to reverse engineer the N64 classic into parsable C code, similar to how fans were able to fully convert Super Mario 64 after a two-year effort.

This kind of reverse engineering is made legal because the fans involved do not use leaked source code for their work and instead painstakingly recreate the N64 game from scratch using modern coding languages.

The decompilation project also does not use any of Nintendo’s original copyrighted assets such as graphics or sound.

In Mario 64’s case, the decompilation efforts eventually resulted in a fully functioning PC port of the N64 game, which is able to scale to any screen resolution and be easily modded by the community with new graphics and modern effects such as ray-tracing.

The N64 game was also ported by fans to work on Nintendo 3DS and run at 60fps. Any potential Ocarina of Time port would presumably allow similar mods, including improved visuals like those seen in the Unreal Engine 4 fan project.

The Ocarina decompilation project looks on course to be finished later this year, based on the pace of progress displayed on its website. The community-based team is focusing on the GameCube Master Quest version of the game, since it features some debug commands to help with their work.

However, any potential PC port is not the focus of the ZRET’s work and would require many months of extra porting by an outside team.

Asked about a potential Zelda: Ocarina of Time PC port last year, project member ‘Rozlette’ told Ars Technica that any such version was “not as easy as just [saying] ‘compile it for Windows’.

“There is a lot of code that deals with talking to N64 hardware. The N64 render pipeline is very different than modern OpenGL, for example,” the person said, adding that the entire process would be “close but not quite” as complex as writing a full N64 emulator.

“It remains quite difficult, especially when considering changes that are considered implicit with a PC target, like being able to change the resolution or framerate,” another member added.

Outside of potential PC ports, the Zelda: Ocarina of Time decompilation project could have huge implications for hacks, as well as historical preservation and the discovery of new bugs which could be utilised by the speedrunning community.

Source: VGC

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I have no doubt I will buy this because it is my favorite Zelda game, but I don’t know if it will feel the same without the Wiimote for a controller. Just the size and bulk of the Wiimote felt like a sword when you swung it around, and I feel like something will be lost with a tiny Joycon. I am interested in trying it with the analog stick for sword movement, though.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I'll be buying it just for the analog stick controls, so I hope they work okay. I only play in handheld mode and neither of my docks are hooked up.

I was pretty stinky on Skyward Sword when it came out, but I've always wanted to replay it especially for the Lanayru Desert. I think my opinions have really softened since Breath of the Wild provided an open-world experience. I am lot less critical of Skyward Sword's more linear design, especially with the story and locales.

But I think there are two portions of the game that I'm not looking forward to:

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Imprisoned is easily the worst part of Skyward Sword. The concept of it was fine for a single fight, but by the third fight they added so much extra shit you had to do on a boss you were already sick of seeing, the entire concept was ruined.

As for the backtracking at the end of the game, I was totally fine with it. In fact, I think the desert’s strongest section was towards the end when you are trying to revive the dragon. And I loved the part where you got to swim around Faron Woods. The only backtracking part I hated was the tear collecting trials. I dreaded those trials so much, because you could waste enormous amounts of time if you screwed up.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Ah yes, I forgot about those damned tear trials. Those definitely take the cake compared to the Tadtones. :olol:

I think the Flooded Faron Woods section felt so abrupt on my first playthrough. The story was progressing towards the final crescendo, the fate of Hyrule was hanging in the balance, and then all of a sudden I'm playing a swimming mini-game to catch music notes. A pretty small issue compared to the belly aching I did during those tear trials, I forgot all about those (or mentally lumped them in with Twilight Princess).

The desert is just so unique for a Zelda game. The setting was cool, and the time-travel puzzles were great. I loved the dragon quest as well as the ship dungeon. I also like the implications of this ancient advanced race of robots in the Zelda timeline.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

melancholy wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:56 pm I have no doubt I will buy this because it is my favorite Zelda game
I prey from the bottom of my heart that they don’t fuck up your favourite Zelda game like they fucked up my favourite Zelda game.

It’s a shitty feeling, and no one should have to suffer that fate.
-Two Interactive.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

ian wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:06 pm
melancholy wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:56 pm I have no doubt I will buy this because it is my favorite Zelda game
I prey from the bottom of my heart that they don’t fuck up your favourite Zelda game like they fucked up my favourite Zelda game.

It’s a shitty feeling, and no one should have to suffer that fate.
Sooo...about that...

Nintendo heard a common complaint about Skyward Sword’s excessive backtracking and added a quality-of-life fast travel feature to address that complaint. Then, they took that quality-of-life feature and locked it behind this Amiibo. An Amiibo, mind you, that must be scanned each and every time you use this incredibly useful feature. And then they looked at what they created, realized that two characters were on the Amiibo, and proceed to give this single Amiibo the price point of two Amiibos ($25).

Okay, so devil’s advocate here. Let’s pretend you like the figure (hell, I like the figure). And let’s pretend that you don’t see a problem with the fast travel feature being essentially DLC. And we’ll pretend it doesn’t bother you to stop the game every 10 minutes to grab a plastic brick and place it on your controller (we won’t even discuss the logistical nightmare of portable mode). And hell, we will even go as far as to say you think $25 is a reasonable price for this figure (spoiler, it’s not). You are the ideal person to buy this, right?

Well too fucking bad, it’s sold out already. Preorders went up this morning, most retailers sold out in less than 1 minute. This doesn’t have a microchip that’s in short demand, this isn’t filled with some rare earth material that’s hard to come by, it’s a chunk of plastic. Nintendo has clearly shown in the past that they can pump out millions of these at HALF THE COST of this figure. But they won’t. We know they won’t. We have seen time and time again, Nintendo choosing to not make easy money for the purpose of making something artificially rare.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Ouch. But at least you can hope the game will still play well and look right...

DLC as toys was an amazing way for Nintendo to rake in even more cash, you think they’d know people will go batshit for any Zelda game (like they have for 30 years for some reason) and pump out as many figures as copies of the game.
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

ian wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:22 am You think they’d know people will go batshit for any Zelda game (like they have for 30 years for some reason) and pump out as many figures as copies of the game.
But then the amiibos would lose all value and Nintendo products wouldn't have a manic, frenzied fan base that helps maintain their predatory sales practices.

In realistic terms, amiibo just 8kb NFC tags and aren't functionally necessary in any case they're used in. Even in Smash Bros., where they might serve their best-used purpose in my opinion, the amiibo is just a rudimentary save card. The technology isn't innovative, and it isn't an inherent added value for the customer.

I bought a pack of blank NFC 215 cards for Breath of the Wild, and still have plenty saved just for a situation like what Nintendo did with Skyward Sword: Hiding a simple quality-of-life feature behind an amiibo.

Would Nintendo make more immediate money by manufacturing an abundance of amiibo? Sure, especially in limited cases such as the Zelda & Loftwing amiibo because it's an objectively cool-looking collectable. But it's impossible to create the need for 180+ different types of amiibo, other than for collectors who want a complete set. So instead, Nintendo sells its amiibo at bare-bones quantities in order to fill a secondary need: Keeping their fans hyped for the next limited edition piece of plastic. There are tons of people that will delude themselves to think that this whole rat race is not only necessary, but an essential part of being a True Nintendo Fan™.

On a tangent here, but you should see the younger folks over at /r/miniSNES/ that live under the delusion that owning an SNES Mini is some sort of litmus test to prove you're a true fan. People believe that a used SNES Mini selling for 2x or 3x its original price is the only way that you can accurately play SNES games in 2021, despite the fact that the damn thing is just another dime-a-dozen SoC wrapped in fancy packaging and decent controllers. And don't get me started about the legal and "moral" issues that people take up about emulation and ROMs, and how it's a sin to dare download your 30-year-old ROMs off of the Internet because that makes Miyamoto cry. :olol:

When it comes to making money, rarely does any company do it better. Even at their lowest points, Nintendo has the same cult of personality that can keep their fans waiting in bated breath for their next masterpiece.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »