The Video Card Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Re: The Video Card Thread

Post by pixel »

Can't wait to watch that in 4K on my work monitor, looks like YouTube is taking its time in getting that version encoded.

My first thought is that I hope the 3080 is cheap when the 4080 or 5080 comes out :olol: There's going to be a glut of 2080s on the market soon.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

BIG NAVI!! Delayed a touch owing to the next-gen console deluge, here's the Digital Foundry verdict on the RX 6800 XT and the RX 6800. Priced below 3080 and above 3070 respectively, AMD's pricing pretty much falls into line with rasterisation performance. There's some innovative engineering here, and full support for next-gen features including VRS and ray tracing... but just how well do the new AMD cards straddle the generational divide?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

So after 4 years, I think my 1070 is on the way out.

It's mined, it's gamed, it's been stuffed in cases with no cooling and it's provided me with countless hours of entertainment. But it's giving me a lot of blank screens, weird greens on cold boots and I think I saw an artifact tonight...

I think at this point the desktop is dead.
Even if I wanted to replace it, and even if I could get stock of anything I'm certainly not going to be paying literally double what all the cards on the market are actually worth (Both NVIDIA and AMD'S entire lineups are at least twice the cost they should realistically be) so I'm either going without a GPU for boring stuff, and gaming on console. Or gaming entirely retro and portable.

I never thought I'd see the day where I'd refuse to buy PC parts... remember the storage and RAM hikes back in the day? Or when a mid level office machine cost 3 grand? That never put me off. But this has.

I'm just angry because my $500 thing half a decade ago can't be replaced for half the price.
I'm not being priced out the hobby, I'm just finding ways to better use the money.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Today we're testing the AMD Radeon RX 6400 and seeing how it performs with PCIe 4.0, PCIe 3.0 and PCIe 2.0 systems. What can this new entry level card do?

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

So are video cards finally able to be had at a decent price? I see the 1660 Super is finally selling on Ebay for around $250 and that Newegg actually has cards in stock for their MSRP.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

The "Shortage" is over.

I was in 2 bricks and mortar computer stores yesterday and there was loads of cards behind glass and counters.
Looking on all the shelves, finding networking gear and cables seems to be harder than finding a GPU.

I'm guessing there is so many because they are still priced stupidly.

It's so easy to forget what things actually look like when you do all your shopping online, but if you actually see what's happening, the shortage is fucking made up to justify the prices...
When you use your own eyes however, there's no shortage!
I don't know how long the shelves have been full for, but it looks like the shortage ended a while back.

The only problem is now that there's a card for every budget, as long as your budget is paying over $500 for a product that should be $250-300.

It's like in Futurama where Fry rushes to get a new eye phone. (The same episode as the shut up and take my money meme)
ARE THERE ANY LEFT? Then the staff member tells him there may be one and then we see a stockpile of billions of the things.
And at the end Mom, (Jensen/Su) calls people dumbases when they line up for the next one.

It's exactly like that. Shortage my fucking ass. Give me my god damn mid level AMD cards for $300-$350 again already!
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It's weird that they aren't going to make AMD or Intel cards.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

They'll be fine. They're changing their name to just E. Eventually, I can see them switch to AMD cards AKA XFX.

They already make AMD motherboards. I have no idea if they are good as I've not worked with, purchased or used an EVGA motherboard in like 6 years, but they used to be good during X58 and X99. World class in fact.

Can they survive with PSU's, peripherals and a few motherboards here and there? if they can then no need for a new partner.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

So 3090tis are about $2500 odd currently. The new at least $3000 4090 looks like a bargain (with its claimed 2X Raster and 4X ray tracing performance)
But then you remember it's 3 grand.
That's a lot of games and consoles.

Outside of winning a new computer, or finding one off the back of a truck, I'm not going to bother.

I saw a Steam deck on Facebook marketplace for $1400 the other day... I'm seriously tempted by it even with no warranty and no local support, parts or anything else.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin