Looking at getting new PC

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Hawq
Site Admin

Looking at getting new PC

Post by Hawq »

Current one is still working but its about 7 years old & as the psu is dying (horrid grindy noise, friends giving me one next week to tide me over) I figure its about time to look at something new. My thought is a Z170 with eaither an i5 or i7 posibly of the 'k' type to leave overclocking open as an option, at least 8gb ram (possibky 16 if its affordable) & a geforce card maybe, been using a radeon but the phsyz thing may be handy.

Thoughts on decent ones folks? and or nvidia gfx best bang for buck etc.. hoping to max spend about 500.ish preferably less posibly savings could be made with graphics card as they are easy to replace

Skynet
Site Admin

Re: Looking at getting new PC

Post by Skynet »

If you don't want to spend too much and want a nvidia card, you could look into the GTX 970. It's a pretty popular card and it performs pretty well. If I didn't have a 770 I'd get it but there's no point in upgrading for me.

ian
Null Dream Team

Re: Looking at getting new PC

Post by ian »

When you say "affordable" Hawq.. That's relative.

Few pointers to make it more affordable:
for gaming.. i7's are pointless an i5 will be more than enough (Gen 1 i7's are still competent gamers with a good enough video card)
In fact, if you're concerned about outright budget.. avoid intel altogether.. (that'll save you between 100 and 200 pounds right away)

Skynet wrote:If you don't want to spend too much and want a nvidia card, you could look into the GTX 970.
This.
Probably the best "Non insanely priced" video card on the market.. and if you want a higher RES just plonk in another one later on!

The only people who buy i7's are people with too much money to waste on computers and want bragging rights (ie: ME)
And the only people who buy i5's are too cheap to get an i7, but still want to pretend they have a good enough computer to brag, and are willing to pay that little extra to pretend like they have a better computer than anyone with an AMD.

You're probably better off buying used right now.. A lot of people are getting rid of haswell stuff in the switch to skylake, so you could pick up a whole computer for the price of a new 6700K i7 ;) (which is $140 overpriced downunder)
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.