PC Games General Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Hawq
Site Admin

Re: PC Games General Thread

Post by Hawq »

or just the gameplay bit on its own

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

TimeSplitters remake project shows off new gameplay

imeSplitters Rewind, a fan-made recreation of the original TimeSplitters trilogy, has been in development since as far back as 2014. In 2017, the team began running into a few issues with CryEngine and since then, the team has been pretty quiet. That changed this week, with a surprise 30-minute gameplay demo dropping on YouTube.

As part of a September 2020 development update, the team behind TimeSplitters Rewind showed off a bunch of gameplay:

As explained in the video, the game’s story, multiplayer and arcade modes are all being worked on. According to the team, which has now ballooned to 57 volunteers, the game is “looking and feeling really close”.

While great progress has been made since we last saw this project, there is no release window just yet. Hopefully we’ll get some details on that in the months to come.

KitGuru Says: Have many of you been keeping up with TimeSplitters Rewind during development? Are you looking forward to eventually playing this remake?
source

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Bought it :) Such a good game from the sixth generation

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Valve reveal Steam's best-selling games of 2020

We’ve told you what we think are the best PC games of 2020 (well, as many as we could fit), but what about cold, hard business? For folks who want metrics and money, Valve have revealed the best-selling games on Steam of 2020. They’re a bit vague about it, mind.

Valve avoid giving numbers or even a definitive ranking for anything. They sort games into ‘bands’, largely not explaining the metrics defining these, and randomly shuffle the order in which they’re presented. So you can broadly see which are successful, but not which is the most successful nor how any compare to others within their band. And they are missing the end of December (and therefore Steam Winter Sale), obvs.

For your convenience, I’ve re-sorted all Valve’s lists into alphabetical order. I’ve also only included the top bands. The full lists of games (many, many more games) are up on Steam right now (switch between categories with the tabs), along with a few extra words from Valve.
Top Sellers by 2020 Revenue

This covers the cost of the game itself plus DLC and in-game purchases. The list’s mostly what you’d expect, though it is impressive that Cyberpunk 2077 crept in despite launching in December. And it’s neat that Among Us made the revenue list despite only costing £4. Whole lot of folks suspicious of their pals this year.

Among Us
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Cyberpunk 2077
Destiny 2
Doom Eternal
Dota 2
Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
Grand Theft Auto V
Monster Hunter: World
Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds
Red Dead Redemption 2
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege

New Releases

Valve say this list goes by revenue in the two weeks following release. Again, lots of things you’d expect, though I am surprised that several former Epic Games Store exclusives had such big Steam debuts despite being ‘out’ for months. And several of these are covered by Xbox Game Pass subscriptions, yet evidently many folks preferred to outright buy them.

Baldur’s Gate 3
Borderlands 3
Command & Conquer Remastered Collection
Cyberpunk 2077
Crusader Kings III
Death Stranding
Doom Eternal
Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
Fifa 21
Football Manager 2021
Grounded
Half-Life: Alyx
Horizon Zero Dawn
Mafia: Definitive Edition
Marvel’s Avengers
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
Persona 4 Golden
Resident Evil 3
Sea Of Thieves
Star Wars: Squadrons
Temtem
The Outer Worlds
Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem

Top VR games

Another category defined by revenue from the game, DLC, and in-game purchases. These are mostly familiar games I’d expect to see on the list, but I hadn’t heard of VR Kanojo so I looked it up and oh jesus it’s about hanging out with a virtual schoolgirl.

“Better yet, VR controllers simulate your hands in-game, letting you interact with her more directly,” the devs say. “Just imagine all the possibilities!” Never be curious, Alice.

Arizona Sunshine
Beat Saber
Blade & Sorcery
Boneworks
Half-Life: Alyx
Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades
Pavlov VR
Pistol Whip
Superhot VR
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR
The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners
VR Kanojo

Top Sellers graduating from early access in 2020

Defined by revenue in 2020 from the game, DLC, and in-game purchases. Some good and long-awaited launches this year.

Conqueror’s Blade
Deep Rock Galactic
Golf With Your Friends
DJMax Respect V
Factorio
Hades
Noita
Risk Of Rain 2
Skater XL
Squad
Torchlight III
Wolcen: Lords Of Mayhem

Most Played

Not based on sales, this. The Most Played category goes by peak concurrent players in 2020, with the top tier being games which broke 200,000. It’s largely the big multiplayer games you’d expect, plus Cyberpunk obvs, then the surprise appearance of Life Is Strange 2. Nice one, LIS!

Among Us
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Cyberpunk 2077
Destiny 2
Dota 2
Grand Theft Auto V
Life Is Strange 2
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds
Terraria

Top Controller Games Based on Highest Daily Players Using a Controller

Also nothing to do with sales. Even as a Destiny player whose raid group includes someone on controller, I am surprised to see it here. That’s probably because the MMOFPS has enough players to brute-force it into the top tier but damn.

Cyberpunk 2077
Dark Souls III
Destiny 2
Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
Fifa 21
Grand Theft Auto V
Hades
NBA 2K20
Persona 4 Golden
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Source: RPS

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Starcraft remade in Starcraft 2 with this mod

Starcraft: Mass Recall

Starcraft: Mass Recall is a project that recreates the classic Starcraft and Brood War gameplay as well as the entire single-player campaigns within the Starcraft 2 engine. Mass Recall contains 68 maps, 59 from the original Brood War game, 3 that were hidden or deleted on various Starcraft supports, and 6 from the 1998 demo campaign.

This mod can be used with any Starcraft 2 version, including the free Starter edition.

Do not hesitate to leave feedback or suggestions in the comments below.
Also check out:

our project thread at TeamLiquid
a commentated playthrough by Jayborino (v6.x, hard difficulty)
a playthrough by professional Starcraft 2 player Crank (HotS version, hard difficulty)

FRIENDLY DISCLAIMER: This mod and all campaign files are FREE. This means, all who work on Mass Recall are putting their free time into an incredibly comprehensive remaster of all of Starcraft and Brood War, including entirely new custom campaigns such as the Stukov Series and Enslavers Redux. Thus, there should be absolutely no expectations that bug fixes or new features will be released in any sort of timely manner. This is a "we'll get to it when we get to it" situation. Please be aware the modders here have work lives, family lives, and simply do not have the energy to maintain a lively work cycle to keep the mod 100% up to date. We do promise we will release updates when we feel they are ready to be released. We hope that you understand our position on this.
source

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Okay, that thing is kinda amazing.

Stormwatch
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Stormwatch »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:53 pm >best soundtrack
>doom eternal
Are everyone's ears wired backwards or what? It's a horrible soundtrack for a horrible game. :vomit:

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

NVIDIA Expands GeForce NOW Game Streaming Service to Turkey, Saudi Arabia, and Australia

NVIDIA has today announced the expansion of its GeForce NOW game streaming service to Turkey, Saudi Arabia, and Australia. The company has worked closely with telecommunication providers to ensure that the streaming service is working well and now they can deliver even more gamers a chance to play their favorite games in the cloud. NVIDIA stated that: "It also offers an opportunity for the world's leading telecommunications firms to deliver high-quality, low-latency PC gaming to nearly any device from the cloud. These partners form the GeForce NOW Alliance, a partnership of operators using RTX Servers and NVIDIA cloud-gaming software to expand and improve cloud gaming globally."

As a reminder, the GeForce NOW is a game streaming service that "brings real-time raytracing to today's biggest blockbusters to underpowered PCs, Macs, Chromebooks, Android and iOS devices." You can access a wide range of games from almost any device and play as much as you like.

https://www.techpowerup.com/277667/nvid ... -australia

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hellish Quart
A longsword duel in Hellish Quart.
It's a game about sword dueling, in which the blades really clash using physics, and the characters use motion captured fencing techniques. Play as one of many 17th century warriors and use sabers, rapiers, broadswords and many other blades in single player campaign, arcade, or local multiplayer with friends.
Play the DEMO (Steam Early Access):
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1000360
Play the DEMO (gog.com):
https://www.gog.com/game/hellish_quart_demo
--------------------------
https://www.hellishquart.com

just tried the demo & got that nice warm Busido Blade feeling, says its gonna be on consoles as well but demo's just PC

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Wednesday is here, I may be slightly late by a week or so with that

changelog
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app ... 5379731950

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Postal 4 from Monday to Wednesday, though it seems only the Tuesday one plays from here you have to go to youtube to see the others for some reason
Pro Postal 4 Early Access Janky Alpha

Pro Postal 4 - Tuesday

Pro Postal 4 - Wednesday

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

tempted to try some Minecraft again but its been so long that now theres a need for an account to play it it seems? can it still be done the old fashiond no account way?

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Hawq wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:30 am tempted to try some Minecraft again but its been so long that now theres a need for an account to play it it seems? can it still be done the old fashiond no account way?
Not that I can find :frown: Any links to the old-fashioned Java edition goes to the Microsoft Store, and a quick Google search for old versions didn't find much.

It's possible if there are still old launchers available for download somewhere? :dontknow" But I think there was a Mojang login for many years before Microsoft bought them out, it's hard to know when a login requirement started.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Guess I gotta find a cheap one if I wanna play then, annoyingly there is a really cheap one listed in some places but its for bloody argentina only, why should those Falkland steaing sods get it for less, OK it looks like its the Won 10 version so no mods & I would like to use mods to get those nice fancy shader effects that made it look like it does with modern RTX cards, the mods were doing it over a decade ago of course & I did quite like the look. If I get bored enough &/or see a good deal then guess I'll go for it but no rush really

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

guess this means I gotta start making plenty of space on my drive again. Dude Kart! looks like fun