PC Games General Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Re: PC Games General Thread

Post by pixel »

I wonder if they'll announce a new headset with a highly competitive price to pair with the new Half Life game. Also, could modders convert a VR game into a non-VR game?

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

pixel wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:55 am I wonder if they'll announce a new headset with a highly competitive price to pair with the new Half Life game. Also, could modders convert a VR game into a non-VR game?
I've heard of it going the other way, where people take non-VR games and make them VR. No idea on that way around though

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Skynet wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:25 pm
pixel wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:55 am I wonder if they'll announce a new headset with a highly competitive price to pair with the new Half Life game. Also, could modders convert a VR game into a non-VR game?
I've heard of it going the other way, where people take non-VR games and make them VR. No idea on that way around though
That's all I found with a few Google searches :dontknow" But if it's based on some version of Source Engine, anything should be possible :olol: Maybe modders will make Team Fortress 3?

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Don't worry, Half Life: Alyx isn't Half Life 3:

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Kotaku wrote:Half-Life: Alyx, you might be dismayed to learn, is definitely not Half-Life 3. But it is a new “full-length” Half-Life game, Valve said today, and it’ll be out in March.

In a press release, Valve said the game—first announced earlier this week to surprise, confusion, and memes from fans—has been “designed from the ground up for virtual reality,” but is still very much a Half-Life game in that it features “world exploration, puzzle solving, visceral combat, and an intricately woven story that connects it all with the characters iconic to the Half-Life universe.”

It’s set between the events of Half-Life 1 and 2 and stars Alyx, as the title suggests.

“Alyx Vance and her father Eli secretly mount the resistance to the brutal occupation of Earth by a mysterious alien race known as The Combine,” reads the game’s description. “As Alyx, players take the fight to the Combine to save the future of humanity.”

Despite ostensibly being a killer app for Valve’s own VR headset, the Valve Index, Half-Life: Alyx will be compatible with “all PC-based VR headsets” when it releases in March 2020. Screenshots thus far depict Alyx having hands, which is something that was technically already canon, but now her hands are your hands, and you get to use items like the enticingly named “gravity gloves.” If they are not somehow involved in a game of fetch with Dog, I’ll eat a Vortigaunt.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Sounds like March will be a good time for me to finally get my PSVR working on my PC.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Good to hear this game works well with the Oculus Quest. I’m going to take the day off work when this launches.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Apple Mac for gaming rumored in development, to be unveiled at WWDC 2020
Patently Apple reported on a new rumor from Taiwan that Apple is looking to launch “an esports-centric PC” next year, with a price tag of up to $5,000. The gaming Mac will either be a large-screen all-in-one or a large-screen gaming laptop.
Pay US$5k to play Fortnite and DOTA 2.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

This fan game was called Mother 4 but it now has a new name.

About

Oddity is a surreal urban fantasy role-playing game set in the Seventies. Play as Travis Fields, an ordinary boy who leaves home in a bid to save the world Travis takes to the field armed with a baseball bat and pellet gun… Along with powers he’s only now discovering. It might have something to do with that “Gate” thing that blew up on an impromptu camping trip…

…Whatever the case, the world’s in danger! People are crabby, demons run amok, the moon’s covered in creepy ooze, a bear did something… And to top it all off, there’s even a secret society called the “Modern Men” popping up lately. They might be behind all the recent kidnappings… But don’t worry! You’ll make plenty of friends as you fight your way through this weird and groovy world!

If you’re looking for a surreal quest full of oddball characters and serious challenge with lots of heart… then Oddity is for you!

Characters

- Travis – Age: 13. Hometown: Belring. Favorite Thing: Daydreams. He’s got his head in the clouds, and maybe that’s why it’s so easy for him to accept his telepathy and healing powers, but Travis is still just an ordinary kid who loves baseball.

- Meryl – Age: 14. Hometown: Citrus Hills. Favorite Thing: Pond Skaters. Chipper and gentle at heart, Meryl’s future sight and extreme psychic attacks make her confident that she can take anything that’s thrown at her, but it also makes her a bit reckless. Just bear with it; she means well.

- Floyd – Age: 14. Hometown: Pennyburg. Favorite Thing: Race cars. Quick witted and street smart, this blue collar school boy doesn’t seem to need psychic powers to be an asset. Floyd’s charm and confidence make him dependable even if he’s a bit slow to adapt.

- Leo – Age: Buzz off. Hometown: What are you, a cop? Favorite Thing: Dishwashers. Dangerous, quiet, wild… This leader of a motorcycle gang is probably wanted all over the world. It’s no wonder – on top of swinging around everything from cinder blocks to stop signs, Leo’s a potent psychic!

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

As there will likely never be any more games in the Mother series, I’m fine with this. I wonder if they intend to charge for it now that it’s no longer a fan game. If it ends up good, I’d like to see them turn this into a series of games.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It will be free.

Here's the website:

http://www.mother4game.com/

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The demo is out.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Correction: "the company very much isn’t working on any new game at this time."

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Valve have so much money, they should be cranking new games out.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:39 pm Valve have so much money, they should be cranking new games out.
You don't make money from games, you make money from hats!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

:olol:

They should at least invest in a few smaller dev teams to make some new exclusive IPs for Steam. Just don't make another card game.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I more say that they should license out their franchises for other companies to make new games. They don’t want to spend time making HL3, why not just have another team do it? What risk would they have if someone else spent all the time and money making it, and all they had to do is sign off on the finished product and throw it up as a Steam exclusive?