General Gaming Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: General Gaming Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

Hawq wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:19 am China (or wherever) has outdone itself with this one
@Hawq where do I find one?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

So I tried playing the order 1866.
I got about an hour into the game and hated it.

Cover based shooters are not my cup of tea at all, but if a studio can do a game right (COUGH gears of war COUGH) I’ll have a good time, and enjoy what’s happening.

But this game not being fantastic at that aspect, has lead me to a really sore point...
I have come to accept cutscenes in games, it’s a necessary evil for modern games.
Yes they belong in movies and if I wanted to watch a movie I’d be in a cinema enjoying a movie.

But just as I start to think that cutscenes in games CAN work. They go and make them interactive.... either let me watch the fucking cutscene, or let me play the fucking game, don’t make a cutscene then make me tap X or triangle while I’m in the cutscene!

Seriously... make it a fucking game and let me control the character, or make it a fucking scene and make me watch.

In a real cutscene, I can go get a drink or something to eat, or roll a smoke, or jack off while your fucking game bores me to tears at your failure to make a game (where the objective is that I control something and it interacts with things for enjoyment)
But this new type of watch a cutscene and then tap x in it or you fail and have to watch the whole thing again IS FUCKING RETARDED!

Interactive cutscenes are a bastardised version of gaming and a bastardised version of film.
Being forced to tap or hold a fucking button over something I have no control over the output of is not fun.

It’s not just lazy, it’s poor game design disguised as story.
This is a trend I’m now seeing more often in newer games I play.
And the order has highlighted how much I fucking despise the practice.

Put a 30 minute god damn cutscene at the start of your fucking game if you have to.
After each mission, put a 5 minute cutscene EVERY SINGLE TIME.
After the last mission, give me an hour long cutscene and then 2 hours of unskippable credits...

BUT FOR THE LOVE OF FUCKING GOD, STOP WITH THE TAP OR HOLD RANDOM BUTTON WHILE YOUR HACKY POOR GAME DESIGN MAKES ME FUCKING WATCH.

Ready at dawn made one of my most favourite games in the entire world (Daxter on PSP) so to see them sink this low is equal parts sad and maddening.

I found little enjoyment in this game at all, and then it pissed me off before any fun could be found
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

That looks pretty awesome.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:22 pm That looks pretty awesome.
And Faith No More's Matt Patton sang the theme song :whoa:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

So I've given 'Century: Age of Ashes' a go. it's a Free to play game in early access on steam.
My friend described it as an online battle game where you Ride dragons and shoot other players... I didn't need more convincing. I normally don't bother with free to play games, I'd rather pay $80 for something GOOD that I actually want to play than play any old shit just because it's free. (never claimed a single of the 40 million games Epic have given away either) But Dragons, and online combat? I'd probably pay money for that in concept alone.

When I was told about it, my first thought was: so it's like Panzer Dragoon online? and now I've played it, I'm giving the game a new Title: 'Panzer Dragoon Online'

My computer HATES it, (1440P on ultra settings is screen tearing city) and I hope it doesn't suffer from the usual free to play fate, but this game has been quite fun so far.

Try it! or don't, but I had a LOT of fun playing it.. This is the most fun I've had in an online game since 'Kabounce' (multiplayer pinball, that would have survived a lot better if it WAS free to play) Panzer Dragoon online is needlessly complex in mechanics, and there's a lot more than I've seen or played.. But I had some fun with it, and I will come back to it again soon.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:54 am
This'd be an instant buy if I didn't have a SN30 Pro+, but I really like that physical switch for controller modes. I use mine on a bunch of different systems and it gets confusing to remember the button combos.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

The cursed mind of Yuji Naka has created a new abomination

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I cannot wait for this release. The first one left off on a cliffhanger, and I was afraid the fan translation of the second game would never be completed.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »