Anyone Playing No Man's Sky?

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Skynet
Site Admin

Anyone Playing No Man's Sky?

Post by Skynet »

I took 3 days off in June to play it at launch, only for it to be delayed. I took 3 days off this week to play it, only for it to be delayed until Saturday my time for the PC release.

Anyone got it on PS4 and been playing it? I almost bought it on PS4 just to play it for 3 days prior to it coming out on Saturday but decided against it. :olol:

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Anyone Playing No Man's Sky?

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Not yet. Might wait for a bit, the reviews seem a bit mixed.

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

I am waiting till I have less games on the stack.

Also I seem to have Dave Syndrome now.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I am highly tempted, but I just don't know if I would get $60 of enjoyment out of it. There's a chance I might pick it up this week, but I can't decide.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

melancholy wrote:I am highly tempted, but I just don't know if I would get $60 of enjoyment out of it. There's a chance I might pick it up this week, but I can't decide.
I'm fairly certain you do more console gaming than PC, but if you do decide to go the PC route I think you can get it for roughly $40-$45US or so.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Skynet wrote:
melancholy wrote:I am highly tempted, but I just don't know if I would get $60 of enjoyment out of it. There's a chance I might pick it up this week, but I can't decide.
I'm fairly certain you do more console gaming than PC, but if you do decide to go the PC route I think you can get it for roughly $40-$45US or so.
I do both console and PC pretty evenly, it's just that my PC is set up like a console which means I can only play games with controller support as I don't have a traditional keyboard/mouse setup.

Anyway, I think I am going to buy it. The more I hear about it, the more I want it. I just hope I can find some ocean planets.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

So despite my efforts to put off buying it, I gave into the launch hype and bought it. I've spent about 2 hours with it tonight, and while I can't say I haven't enjoyed my brief time with it, there are two immediate standout things that are diminishing my enjoyment:

1. I knew there was going to be some resource mining in the game, but I didn't realize that resource mining IS the game. I was so excited for the ability to just wander a planet and explore, but even the simple act of walking around requires mining for resources. My life support, radiation suit, and weapon all deplete with time and require constant minerals to keep me from dying. Add to the fact that there is no fast travel to the ship, nor can you call your ship for pickup, and you have a game that begs you to explore only to put a shackle around your foot to keep you from wandering too far from the ship.

2. The worlds are gorgeous, and watching the trailers, I was excited for all the encounters with wildlife figuring I would get into some crazy battles with wild beasts. But after two planets, I have yet to find hostile anything. All the animals, even the massive ones that tower over you, run away at first sight of you. Plus for all the aliens flying the skies, you never see a single one on land that isn't inside a comm station. You find parts and wreckage everywhere, so why not have some of these NPC's out in the fields hunting, fighting, or just exploring like me? The space stations are even worse in that there is almost nobody there. Massive moon-sized ships and you are sometimes the only person inside it. Surely they could have thrown in some background NPC's that don't talk to you to at least give the effect of a busy space port.

Thing about my complaints, though, is that these could easily be patched in. We are talking small touches that would turn this game from a lonely monotonous experience into a lively exciting one. Considering the amount of people saying the same thing, I imagine we will see some big changes in the coming days. I just wish I would have waited a while and saved my money until then.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

No Man's Sky patch coming soon for the 'most critical issues,' says Hello Games

Here are some workarounds in the meantime

No Man's Sky hasn't lifted off into space without some problems here and there, and developer Hello Games said today that it is making an effort on a few different fronts to address the issues quickly.

"We’re tracking a number of issues, bugs and crashes that players are reporting, and working to resolve [them] as soon as possible," said studio head Sean Murray in a post on the No Man's Sky website this morning. Hello Games has been overwhelmed by an unexpectedly high number of players and length of play sessions, and is "working quickly to adapt" to the situation, according to Murray.

A patch in the "near future" will address the "most critical issues," said Murray, although he did not provide any details on the problems in question except to say that they include crashes. It's also unclear if this, the game's first post-release patch, will bring in the previously promised base building and freighter owning features.

"We can’t give you an ETA [on the PlayStation 4 patch] as frustrating as that is, because we’re also still working to get the PC release live," reads a note on the game’s support page, where players can email Hello Games about issues they're having. (No Man's Sky is set to launch at 1 p.m. ET today on Windows PC.) "We sincerely apologise to anyone affected in the meantime," said Murray.

To handle all the problems that No Man's Sky players have been reporting, Hello Games will switch to a ticketed support system next week. The company has also hired its own quality assurance team — a group larger than the studio itself — to complement Sony Interactive Entertainment's QA operation.

For now, Murray offered a few workarounds for known issues, along with notes on a couple of difficulties with No Man's Sky's pre-order bonuses. He pointed out that if you're stuck somewhere, you can use your jetpack forever as long as you're pushing against a surface. (For instance, fly forward along the ground, not upward.) If your ship is stuck somewhere that you can't reach, head to one of the larger outposts — they'll have a beacon with which you can summon your ship (and maybe even a landing pad where you can do the same). And if you've messed up at any point, you can revert back to your two most recent saves in the Options menu.

The pre-order bonus for No Man's Sky has caused a seemingly game-breaking issue for dozens of players. It's a special spaceship known as the Domanish S84 that comes with a hyperdrive installed. Since much of the early game is focused on obtaining the blueprint for how to construct that engine, players who warp ahead with the S84 are unlikely to possess that blueprint, which leaves them stranded if they later switch to a ship that doesn't already have a hyperdrive.

Murray said that of the 135 players who have reported this issue to Hello Games so far, 107 — four out of every five — were actually able to continue on: The game figures out that they don't have the hyperdrive blueprint, and directs them to a character who will supply it. Still, 80 percent is not an ideal success rate for something that's supposed to be a bonus.

Source: Polygon

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

It runs pretty bad on my PC :(

I bought it on PS4 until I can get a new PC built.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Console Master Race!

Apparently the GOG version is running pretty well, it's the Steam version that has the big problems.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:Console Master Race!

Apparently the GOG version is running pretty well, it's the Steam version that has the big problems.
That's not what I'm seeing. I hear the GOG version is even worse because unlike Steam, it doesn't auto-install the Visual C++ run times needed like the Steam version does (an annoying feature of Steam that's actually useful for once).

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

On NeoGAF people have been saying the GOG version is running well for them.
I'm not sure if the GOG is actually causing a difference performance but apart from a few hitches here and there, it seems to never drop below 100 fps on 1440p maxed out (Using a controller seems to help a bit too). It was stuttering like help at the default setting though. Which is weird when its set to 30fps. With that being said...it's not much of a looker. It's very blurry and the textures are awful.
Just spent a couple of hours in the GOG version and it's been pretty much 60fps uninterrupted. Got it at max settings and 4xSSAA.
I just played over 2 hours of the GoG standalone version.
No GoG Galaxy.

It runs so much better than the Steam version,it might as well be a different game.
Non of the crazy "entire PC comes to a halt" stutters and perfectly playable.
All settings max, 1080p on a 970.
WHAT
THE
FUCK

The GoG standalone version runs way WAY better for me than the Steam one.
There are still some tiny little loading hitches when a new sound wants to play or when you enter a new chunk that gets loaded, but it's at a minimum compared to the Steam version.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

After spending a few hours on PS4 and a bit of time on PC, here's some of my thoughts:

- Definitely grindy, as expected.

- I spend waaaaaaaay too much time just walking around planets checking shit out. On a point Mel made earlier, you are somewhat tethered to your ship but I think certain areas on planets allow you to call your ship in so long as you have it unlocked. I'll find one of the few that I've accessed already to confirm that.

- I prefer flying with a controller over mouse and keyboard. The ground stuff feels better with a mouse.

- I have the GOG version so I'll need to investigate because my specs are way better than what minimum suggests but it's barely playable.

- I said this prior to me playing the game and I still stand by it, the UI makes me think Destiny.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

OK so I managed to get it working properly on PC. Here are the things I did in order that I've found online. I'll note it down in the order I tried everything and found the information in case others are having issues.

Code: Select all

Go to "No Man's Sky\Binaries\SETTINGS" and edit "TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.MXML". Go to the GSync line and change value "true" to "false.
This didn't help me but people online report this works

Run the game in borderless window.
I do this anyway and this didn't help me

Some people say set the frame rate to MAX as the game doesn't really run at the rate you select. Some people say 60fps is quite lower than this. Some run at 90 and get 60. The best advice is run it faster than what you think your hardware can handle.
I think this works but only when combined with the step below.

Apparently the game needs a particular version of OpenGL and I guess my drivers didn't support the required level. I grabbed nvidia driver 369.00 from https://developer.nvidia.com/opengl-driver.
I believe this one actually worked for me

Until I got to the last step nothing was really working. Once I installed those drivers I was able to get a better frame rate. I was playing at 720p with low settings. Once updating driver I have v-sync on and I was still getting a bit of an issue with frame drop and stutter, with v-sync off it's fairly smooth but with some screen tearing so I'll see if I can tweak it running as it should.

Basically I bought the PS4 version until I can build a new PC just so I could play the game, I should have looked online prior to buying it because now the PS4 version is not necessary. The plus side is I can play it on my TV quite easily and my gf can play now too if she wants.

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

Skynet wrote:OK so I managed to get it working properly on PC. Here are the things I did in order that I've found online. I'll note it down in the order I tried everything and found the information in case others are having issues.

Go to "No Man's Sky\Binaries\SETTINGS" and edit "TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.MXML". Go to the GSync line and change value "true" to "false.

Some people say set the frame rate to MAX as the game doesn't really run at the rate you select. Some people say 60fps is quite lower than this. Some run at 90 and get 60. The best advice is run it faster than what you think your hardware can handle.

Apparently the game needs a particular version of OpenGL and I guess my drivers didn't support the required level. I grabbed nvidia driver 369.00 from https://developer.nvidia.com/opengl-driver.

Until I got to the last step nothing was really working. Once I installed those drivers I was able to get a better frame rate. I was playing at 720p with low settings. Once updating driver I have v-sync on and I was still getting a bit of an issue with frame drop and stutter, with v-sync off it's fairly smooth but with some screen tearing so I'll see if I can tweak it running as it should.

Basically I bought the PS4 version until I can build a new PC just so I could play the game, I should have looked online prior to buying it because now the PS4 version is not necessary. The plus side is I can play it on my TV quite easily and my gf can play now too if she wants.
This is why I am a console gamer. Imagine if a dealership sold you a car with faulty electrical (aka British).

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

OrangeRibbon wrote:
Skynet wrote:OK so I managed to get it working properly on PC. Here are the things I did in order that I've found online. I'll note it down in the order I tried everything and found the information in case others are having issues.

This is why I am a console gamer. Imagine if a dealership sold you a car with faulty electrical (aka British).
To be fair, I rarely update my GPU drivers. If I'd gone straight for the GPU update straight away, that would have solved my problem. I've got a GPU that's a bit old now so I just needed the right updated, beta drivers. It runs at double the frame rate of PS4, so the PC one is much better.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I always love that rendition of the JP theme, combined with that clip is amazing.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »