The Raspberry Pi/SBC/Mini PC Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Post Reply
Hawq
Site Admin
Posts: 1979
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:45 am

Re: The Raspberry Pi/SBC/Mini PC Thread (Raspberry Pi 4 released)

Post by Hawq » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:24 am



Hawq
Site Admin
Posts: 1979
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:45 am

Re: The Raspberry Pi/SBC/Mini PC Thread (Raspberry Pi 4 released)

Post by Hawq » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:27 am


User avatar
Skynet
Site Admin
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:54 am

Re: The Raspberry Pi/SBC/Mini PC Thread (Raspberry Pi 4 released)

Post by Skynet » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:10 pm

I want to know if something like an Odroid running windows would be good enough for Virtual Pinball, but I suspect maybe not

User avatar
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin
Posts: 14457
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:33 am

Re: The Raspberry Pi/SBC/Mini PC Thread (Raspberry Pi 4 released)

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:32 pm

It should be able to run it well at 720p. Maybe 1080p as well.

ETA tested VP out an older board, the CPU in the Odriod is a fair bit better.



Another SBC that uses the same SOC as the Odroid is the LarkBox. Overall it's bit cheaper due to it having 6GB RAM built in, so you don't need to buy extra memory.





https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/chuw ... d52f400b#/

User avatar
Skynet
Site Admin
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:54 am

Re: The Raspberry Pi/SBC/Mini PC Thread (Raspberry Pi 4 released)

Post by Skynet » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:41 pm

Well first I still need to actually build my Virtual Pinball machine. :olol:

User avatar
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin
Posts: 14457
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:33 am

Re: The Raspberry Pi/SBC/Mini PC Thread (Raspberry Pi 4 released)

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:14 am


User avatar
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin
Posts: 14457
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:33 am

Re: The Raspberry Pi/SBC/Mini PC Thread (Raspberry Pi 4 released)

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:16 pm


User avatar
pixel
Fighting Mongooses
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:09 am

Re: The Raspberry Pi/SBC/Mini PC Thread (Raspberry Pi 4 released)

Post by pixel » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:16 am

Skynet wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:41 pm
Well first I still need to actually build my Virtual Pinball machine. :olol:
That's the hardest part :olol: I've wanted to build a MAME cabinet for 13 years.

User avatar
Skynet
Site Admin
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:54 am

Re: The Raspberry Pi/SBC/Mini PC Thread (Raspberry Pi 4 released)

Post by Skynet » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:15 am

pixel wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:16 am
Skynet wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:41 pm
Well first I still need to actually build my Virtual Pinball machine. :olol:
That's the hardest part :olol: I've wanted to build a MAME cabinet for 13 years.
I started mine in 2010. Last year I actually finished painting the whole thing. I swapped out all the buttons, replaced them with LED ones. Rigged up a dodgy USB > molex adapter for the LED buttons. I got a replacement monitor the other week and replaced the PC with a Pi4, which I then switched to a 3B+ as I'm not planning on playing anything too full on anyway. It's all together and working, I'm just tweaking it now.

I also have no room for this and a pinball, but that won't stop me. :olol:

User avatar
pixel
Fighting Mongooses
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:09 am

Re: The Raspberry Pi/SBC/Mini PC Thread (Raspberry Pi 4 released)

Post by pixel » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:30 am

Skynet wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:15 am
pixel wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:16 am
Skynet wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:41 pm
Well first I still need to actually build my Virtual Pinball machine. :olol:
That's the hardest part :olol: I've wanted to build a MAME cabinet for 13 years.
I also have no room for this and a pinball, but that won't stop me. :olol:
That's good to hear :) I'm in the same boat (no room), but the upright cabinet has been a dream since high school.

First and foremost, there's always been something else to spend my money on. Then, for me, the number of tweaks, upgrades and cool features are endless and paralyze me. :olol: Stuff like whether or not to use an arcade CRT monitor, then it was deciding what type of PC to build. And don't get me started on Hyperspin :uhoh: That shit looked like a nightmare. I always wanted this arcade cabinet to be the greatest machine ever built, but I never took the first step.

Now I got a PC built, Launchbox set up, and found a set of plans I liked. So now it's just building the damn thing, luckily I've got an experience woodworker to help. Here's a rough mockup with the sideart.

If I get this done, I'll move on to dreaming about that pinball machine. :rofl:

User avatar
Skynet
Site Admin
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:54 am

Re: The Raspberry Pi/SBC/Mini PC Thread (Raspberry Pi 4 released)

Post by Skynet » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:57 am

pixel wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:30 am
Skynet wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:15 am
pixel wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:16 am
Skynet wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:41 pm
Well first I still need to actually build my Virtual Pinball machine. :olol:
That's the hardest part :olol: I've wanted to build a MAME cabinet for 13 years.
I also have no room for this and a pinball, but that won't stop me. :olol:
That's good to hear :) I'm in the same boat (no room), but the upright cabinet has been a dream since high school.

First and foremost, there's always been something else to spend my money on. Then, for me, the number of tweaks, upgrades and cool features are endless and paralyze me. :olol: Stuff like whether or not to use an arcade CRT monitor, then it was deciding what type of PC to build. And don't get me started on Hyperspin :uhoh: That shit looked like a nightmare. I always wanted this arcade cabinet to be the greatest machine ever built, but I never took the first step.

Now I got a PC built, Launchbox set up, and found a set of plans I liked. So now it's just building the damn thing, luckily I've got an experience woodworker to help. Here's a rough mockup with the sideart.

If I get this done, I'll move on to dreaming about that pinball machine. :rofl:
Mockup looks good. Yeah Hyperspin was all sorts of annoying for me. I was using Maximus Arcade (I think) on the old PC. Honestly, if you can run it via Raspberry Pi that might be a good idea, as you can just download a pre-made image with pre-scraped artwork/videos. So once the image is flashed to the SD, you just boot it. One that I'm mucking around with now can be found here. I also have a different one as well. For my cabinet I'll likely remove anything from PS1/Saturn/N64 onward and just leave console prior to that, as well as arcade due to the controller layout.

User avatar
pixel
Fighting Mongooses
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:09 am

Re: The Raspberry Pi/SBC/Mini PC Thread (Raspberry Pi 4 released)

Post by pixel » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:52 am

I used that exact same image when I made a RPi4 build earlier this year :olol: I was blown away by the UI and performance, the Pi has come a long ways since 2012. I'd like to build another one for the bedroom TV.

As for PC vs. RPi, I'm a Launchbox convert now. The licensing works on as many machines that I'd like, but it takes some configuring but I like that it has a backend manager and frontend.

User avatar
Skynet
Site Admin
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:54 am

Re: The Raspberry Pi/SBC/Mini PC Thread (Raspberry Pi 4 released)

Post by Skynet » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:48 pm

pixel wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:52 am
I used that exact same image when I made a RPi4 build earlier this year :olol: I was blown away by the UI and performance, the Pi has come a long ways since 2012. I'd like to build another one for the bedroom TV.

As for PC vs. RPi, I'm a Launchbox convert now. The licensing works on as many machines that I'd like, but it takes some configuring but I like that it has a backend manager and frontend.
I may come back to Launchbox at some point, I tried it briefly and just found it easier doing the Pi image :olol:

User avatar
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin
Posts: 14457
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:33 am

Re: The Raspberry Pi/SBC/Mini PC Thread (Raspberry Pi 4 released)

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:56 pm

Earlier in the week I was looking at getting a RPi4 8gb and they were back ordered until next month. Look again today and they are now back ordered until mid-October. Doh!

User avatar
Skynet
Site Admin
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:54 am

Re: The Raspberry Pi/SBC/Mini PC Thread (Raspberry Pi 4 released)

Post by Skynet » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:31 pm

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:56 pm
Earlier in the week I was looking at getting a RPi4 8gb and they were back ordered until next month. Look again today and they are now back ordered until mid-October. Doh!
Ah damn :frown:

User avatar
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin
Posts: 14457
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:33 am

Re: The Raspberry Pi/SBC/Mini PC Thread (Raspberry Pi 4 released)

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:47 pm

That was at element14 and Core Electronics.

User avatar
pixel
Fighting Mongooses
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:09 am

Re: The Raspberry Pi/SBC/Mini PC Thread (Raspberry Pi 4 released)

Post by pixel » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:52 pm

Canakit has a few in-stock for us Yanks: https://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-4- ... aspberrypi

I can order and reship it to you if you'd like. Edit: It'd be $57AUD to ship one of our standard flat-rate box.

User avatar
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin
Posts: 14457
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:33 am

Re: The Raspberry Pi/SBC/Mini PC Thread (Raspberry Pi 4 released)

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:24 am

Nah it's cool. Thanks for the offer though, pixel.

User avatar
pixel
Fighting Mongooses
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:09 am

Re: The Raspberry Pi/SBC/Mini PC Thread (Raspberry Pi 4 released)

Post by pixel » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:30 am




User avatar
Skynet
Site Admin
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:54 am

Re: The Raspberry Pi/SBC/Mini PC Thread (Raspberry Pi 4 released)

Post by Skynet » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:25 pm

I haven't watched the teardown video yet, just the first one, but if they could come in at sub AU$200 I'd get one. Unfortunately it's about $250AU from memory

Post Reply