The Zelda Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Re: The Zelda Thread

Post by pixel »

Matisfaction wrote:I'm about 27hrs in and it's pretty incredible, so much to do and the attention to detail is insane for such a huge game, even horse riding across the landscape is an absolute joy...
I'm currently playing as a scrub with no armor running away from moblins. Can't wait until I can actually survive without getting absolutely trounced around every corner. Just got the hang glider, so I don't think I'm very far.

I usually play without sound on, but I decided to turn it on during the last plateau cutscene and freaked out because the Old Man was actually talking!

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

If you've just got out of the great plateau then your journey starts here, lol.

It's a good idea to stop off at the stable while on your way to the first village (wild horses are nearby), talk to the two guys in there (it's worth well it).
I can't get no...

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Matisfaction wrote:If you've just got out of the great plateau then your journey starts here, lol.

It's a good idea to stop off at the stable while on your way to the first village (wild horses are nearby), talk to the two guys in there (it's worth well it).
Yeah, things really started to pick up after getting a horse. Those Yiga Clan douchebags scare the shit out of me :-?

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

I've got to the point now as where I see anyone in trouble outside of a town, it's a Yiga-Git. So I just ignore them and carry on riding, lol

I'm about 40hrs in now and still haven't tackled the first boss, there's so much to do and explore in this game, it's insane!
I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

People are crying because Jim Sterling gave BOTW 7/10 and said it was good.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Weird, it's almost like he knew that a suspiciously lower score would engineer such a predictable reaction.

Or maybe the Zelda fanboys are going by the "ian scale" when it comes to ratings, where 7/10 equals a bad game..
I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Matisfaction wrote:Weird, it's almost like he knew that a suspiciously lower score would engineer such a predictable reaction.
It's not even the lowest score the game got today, another place gave it 6/10.
Matisfaction wrote:Or maybe the Zelda fanboys are going by the "ian scale" when it comes to ratings, where 7/10 equals a bad game..
Saw this at Neogaf:
Sorry, he can call 7/10 "PERFECT" or what not, but in the real world, a 7/10 game is a mediocre to bad game.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

As silly as it sounds that's probably about right in the current climate. The media throw so many 9s around that anything below has become a disappointment by default.

...that and most people on NeoGaf seem to suffer from some kind of mental disposition anyway.

To add a bit of contrast to this "outrage", Stirling's game of 2014 was Hyrule Warriors.
I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Matisfaction wrote:...that and most people on NeoGaf seem to suffer from some kind of mental disposition anyway.
People do get worked up about things over there.

There's someone called Dr. Zoidberg on Neogaf with the exact same avatar, it always makes do a double take because I don't remember posting whatever he posted but then remember that I'm not a member there.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Occasionally I'll have a look on there, if something interesting gets posted. I've seen that Zoidberg post on there, I did think it was you as the avatar was exactly the same, weird.. lol.
I can't get no...

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Back to BoTW, 80hrs in now and only just took on my first Devine Beast.

Every time I start the game, I set myself an objective and just keep getting distracted. I'll see something in the distance, check that out, then see something else... you can spend hours just exploring, this game is absolutely mental.
I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

I can't get no...

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I finally finished Skyward Sword, so now my family is bugging me to play the new Zelda. But I'm just not convinced that it's something I'll like. A wilderness survival game does not sound like fun at all, nor does all the material collecting and crafting.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

melancholy wrote:I finally finished Skyward Sword, so now my family is bugging me to play the new Zelda. But I'm just not convinced that it's something I'll like. A wilderness survival game does not sound like fun at all, nor does all the material collecting and crafting.
I was really scared after seeing the item crafting gameplay in teaser and preview videos. But Breath of the Wild does a great job building a good system around this Skyrim-type, open-world game style. The hardest thing for me to get used to was how disposable most of the normal weapons like swords and bows are.

The stuff like the UI are built pretty well around crafting and such, they make it very easy. The menus are nicely designed and have quick options to make weapon/armor switching fast while in combat. I've beaten two of the dungeons and only a few of the optional quests have had any item fetching or collecting.

As long as you keep battling the bad guys, you'll have an amble selection of weapons and crafting material. I only ran into inventory problems when skipping a large portion of Death Mountain by paragliding over it. Basically, the game does a great job feeding you items, materials and such if you stick to the main paths. The only time that item gathering might interrupt the game is if you run low on meat, but creatures to hunt are found in every part of the game.

Skyward Sword felt like a traditional adventure game with its set pieces and traditional puzzle solving. Breath of the Wild feels like an action game that provides role-playing-type gameplay through its items and rune system. Basically, it all comes down to how many "rules" each game has. One is extremely buttoned down and straight forward where the other is much more open and provides a loose framework in which the gamer can solve puzzles/battle enemies.

Whereas Skyward Sword was linear, BotW won't lead you through the game. After about 1-3 hours, you're given the vague version of a prologue and four waypoints to the major dungeons. After that, the game provides distractions and a large number of side quests along the way, of which you're free to ignore or complete in any order. But with all the new spangly open-world mechanics, you can still play it as a traditional Zelda game.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

pixel wrote:I was really scared after seeing the item crafting gameplay in teaser and preview videos. But Breath of the Wild does a great job building a good system around this Skyrim-type, open-world game style. The hardest thing for me to get used to was how disposable most of the normal weapons like swords and bows are.
That's probably the biggest complaint i've heard about the game, but for me I like how you're forced to use what's at hand and hold back on using some weapons until you really need them, even when you pick up the Master Sword you cant power though the rest of the game with it.
I can't get no...

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I can't make comment on the newest Zelda games.. (haven't touched a single one after wind waker) but they were all average at best.. Aside from Links awakening.. Best zelda game hands down no question!!
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

ian wrote:Haven't played any of the games since 2002
None of them are as good as the one that came out in 1993

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

New update for BoTW has been rolled out, apparently fixes frame rate issues in docked mode, there's also an update for the Wii U version, frame rates are more stable while visiting stables..

I can't get no...

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

forgot about this thread, whoulda stuck the full speed zelda info in here rather than the general nintendo one, though if not a paytrion type it'll be a week or so for CEMU 1.7.4