The Dragon Quest Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

The Dragon Quest Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

A thread for all the different DQ games. And Dragon Warrior games!

Dragon Quest Builders is out in a few days. I tried the demo last week and it's pretty good. Take DQ, make it Zelda-ish and then mash it up with Minecraft. It's something that appeals to me because while I like MC I do get bored of it quickly. Judging from the demo, the MC parts of the game don't have the same level of depth overall (you can't dig down much, so no netherworld) although there is still lots to do, but having tasks and quests makes it more fun and interesting.

It does have a sandbox mode as well.

Eurogamer: Dragon Quest Builders review

Destructoid Review: Dragon Quest Builders

Digitally Downloaded Review: Dragon Quest Builders

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... t-builders

melancholy
Global Mod

Re: The Dragon Quest Thread

Post by melancholy »

I've been thinking about picking this up all day, but after just buying Paper Mario, I would end up playing either one or the other.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy wrote:I've been thinking about picking this up all day, but after just buying Paper Mario, I would end up playing either one or the other.
Yeah you might as well get through Paper Mario first.

DQB is very addictive. I've played 15+ hours already and I'm not really that far into it.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King on 3DS Coming to North America in January

Fans of the beloved Dragon Quest series got plentiful helpings of the RPG franchise in 2016 with the release of titles such as Dragon Quest Builders on PlayStation consoles and the 3DS version of Dragon Quest VIII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past. Luckily, we won’t have to wait too long for more Dragon Quest into the new year.

Nintendo has announced that the 3DS version of Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King will be releasing in North America on January 20th, 2017, after the title was previously delayed from its intended late 2016 release.

Along with the 3DS version bringing over the beloved JRPG, the new port will also introduce other features to the game such as a quick save ability, the ability to Speed Up in-game battles, and additional quests, dungeons, and other content that were not in the original title on PS2.

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King is currently available on 3DS in Japan, with the title to release in North America on January 20th, 2017 – in the meantime, you can also check out a new trailer from Nintendo below:

Source: Dualshockers

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

While I have no doubt I will be buying this, I am disappointed that it won't have the PS2 orchestrated music or 3D support. Plus I'm not too keen on the idea of playing an 80 hour RPG on the 3DS.

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

melancholy wrote:While I have no doubt I will be buying this, I am disappointed that it won't have the PS2 orchestrated music or 3D support. Plus I'm not too keen on the idea of playing an 80 hour RPG on the 3DS.
I think it won't take that long because of the lack of Random encounters.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

OrangeRibbon wrote:
melancholy wrote:While I have no doubt I will be buying this, I am disappointed that it won't have the PS2 orchestrated music or 3D support. Plus I'm not too keen on the idea of playing an 80 hour RPG on the 3DS.
My PS2 play through was 81 hours. You're right that it probably will be a bit shorter, but any game over 40 hours on a handheld is just too long for me. Handheld games end up being short 30-60 minute bursts every day or two, which means a 40 hour RPG ends up taking months to complete.

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

melancholy wrote:
OrangeRibbon wrote:
My PS2 play through was 81 hours. You're right that it probably will be a bit shorter, but any game over 40 hours on a handheld is just too long for me. Handheld games end up being short 30-60 minute bursts every day or two, which means a 40 hour RPG ends up taking months to complete.
I know what you mean, now I can barely play a game unless I know it is under 15 hours to beat.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I finished DQBuilders last week. Good game. Must have played it for at least 100 hours, although I did spend a lot of time doing random shit.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Are both of those versions single player? Because they look amazing as long as they don't go into the multiplayer realm the last two did.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

They are both single player games. And they do look cool.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The first video is the Japanese DQXI TV ad. It's really good.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I wish I knew if these were going to be two entirely separate stories or not. It seems silly to pick up the 3DS version if it has the same story as the PS4 version.

On a related note, I started playing Builders last night for Vita. It's pretty fun so far, but I'm barely an hour in, so we will see if I make it to the end.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I think they do have the same story.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »