Anyone Playing No Man's Sky?

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
melancholy
Global Mod

Re: Anyone Playing No Man's Sky?

Post by melancholy »

So two weeks in, are you still enjoying it, Skynet? I've probably put in at least 30 hours and I'm only on my second galaxy with my same ship. I can never afford a better ship because I keep upgrading my Exosuit slots. I'm up to 32 slots on my suit now.

My complaints with the game still stand, especially the no ship calling option. Yes, there are space ports that have a tower you can use the call the ship, but those are as random as the planets and I once spent 40 minutes trying to find one because I got my ship stuck in a tree and the ship's collision avoidance wouldn't let me get out. And if you are on a water planet, forget about it, because finding a tower is near impossible.

Still, I'm completely hooked on the exploration. I spend an average of 5 hours on each planet just because I keep getting in that 'one more waypoint' loop that keeps me exploring endlessly on each planet.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

OK so I've only had the game just over a week. It came out on PC on August 13 and I happened to buy it on PS4 the same day. I don't spend any time playing it during the week because I'll lose my night. So far I've spent more time on PS4 but I'm trying to get the hours up on PC now that it's running better.

Here are my thoughts/progress right now:

- I knew it'd be grindy, but I don't find it to be a big chore.

- There are still elements I've yet to come across so I still have a lot of exploring to do.

- I enjoy learning about the lore of the game and following the Atlas path and going to ruins/monoliths, etc.

- On PC I got the pre-order ship and have now moved to another, my PS4 game I'm on the initial ship you get. Without realising it I think the PS4 version is for learning mechanics of the game and figuring shit out, then I go to PC and progress further quickly because of what I've learned on PS4.

- I definitely get what you mean about calling your ship, unless you do find those stations to call it in, getting to your ship can be a hassle.

- My final thought on the game is that yes it's repetitive. Yes it has problems but it also has huge potential. I'm honestly finding this to be super relaxing cruising around space looking at the different planets. I've actually suggested some people I know not buy this game because I know it's definitely not for everyone. For those that are interested in exploring and chilling out, I can't recommend it enough. I really like the music too.

- PS. Fuck the space pirates.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I saw this, and was immediately put off..

If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

When I saw that I lost it.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I'm on my third galaxy now, and I still find myself loading this game up in anticipation every night. I've reached the point where everyone I know has moved on out of frustration or boredom and I can't help but to wonder if I'm just weird for loving the hell out of this game. I don't disagree with the points made in most of the angry YouTube videos about it, but I also can't understand why they don't see the potential enjoyment in the game. Right now this game is right up there as the most addictive game I've played this year, and while I know I will hit the point where I'm done with the game long before I ever actually hit the center, I won't regret my time spent in this amazing universe.

As a side note, all the people exploring planets with grass piss me off. I've been to 12 planets now and have yet to find one that has any grass, or for that matter, animals that are aggressive and don't just want to run away when I get 10 feet from them. I want to fight my way through a planet filled with hostile animals.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

melancholy wrote:I'm on my third galaxy now, and I still find myself loading this game up in anticipation every night. I've reached the point where everyone I know has moved on out of frustration or boredom and I can't help but to wonder if I'm just weird for loving the hell out of this game. I don't disagree with the points made in most of the angry YouTube videos about it, but I also can't understand why they don't see the potential enjoyment in the game. Right now this game is right up there as the most addictive game I've played this year, and while I know I will hit the point where I'm done with the game long before I ever actually hit the center, I won't regret my time spent in this amazing universe.

As a side note, all the people exploring planets with grass piss me off. I've been to 12 planets now and have yet to find one that has any grass, or for that matter, animals that are aggressive and don't just want to run away when I get 10 feet from them. I want to fight my way through a planet filled with hostile animals.
I've found a couple with grass, not many. I found one that was fairly similar looking to the one they showed in that gameplay demo that was then combined with the bad Jurassic Park song.

I've been to a few systems now. I've found 1 black hole and I'm going to find some more. I've got 2 games going, my PC and my PS4 one. I think my PS4 one I'm following the Atlas path and PC I'm just doing whatever. I still enjoy the game. I don't play it every day but when I play it, I play hours at a time.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Is the draw distance much better on the PC? I'm hearing conflicting reports, some saying that it's vastly improved, and some saying there's barely a difference.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

melancholy wrote:Is the draw distance much better on the PC? I'm hearing conflicting reports, some saying that it's vastly improved, and some saying there's barely a difference.
I want to say it has the slight edge, maybe? Having said that I'm not really running the game at max settings, I'm running on an older GPU so it's not maxing everything out.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

30 hours of new story content. FOV can now be adjusted on Playstation 4.

I might get this soon, looks like they've fixed it up a fair bit.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I would like to go back to it again sometime. I stopped playing shortly before the first content patch released because another game came out (don't remember what) that took my attention away from NMS and I never went back. I loved the shit out of that game though.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

No Man’s Sky may finally get co-op exploration and story overhaul in next update

One of the biggest issues many had with No Man’s Sky on release was the lack of multiplayer/co-op, particularly since we were told before release that players would be able to encounter each other in-game. That didn’t turn out to be true at the time but it seems that Hello Games might be making good on its promise now, as new details about the upcoming Atlas Rises update have come to light.

Earlier this week, we heard that No Man’s Sky would be getting a big free expansion this week called ‘Atlas Rises’. At the time, we knew that this update would add a Stargate style fast travel system and make changes to the story. However, some new details have come to light after a list of upcoming changes accidentally went live on the No Man’s Sky website before being promptly pulled.

From what we saw, Update 1.3, otherwise known as Atlas Rises, will feature an “overhauled central story line, portals, a new procedural mission system, trade improvements, system economies, joint exploration and more”. If that last little note is true then multiplayer will finally be in the game like originally promised.

Multiplayer is only a fraction of the story here though. Judging from the description, the entire game is getting an overhaul, with new trading systems and a new story. Hopefully the central story will be a little more satisfying this time around.

KitGuru Says: This update for No Man’s Sky sounds huge but obviously, this studio has over promised and under delivered in the past so many will remain sceptical until the proof is shown. I’ll be looking forward to seeing what people think once the update goes live.
source

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

The updates are good. What I'm looking forward to is trying this out with my Oculus Rift

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I obviously skipped to the 45 minute mark and at first wondered why he didn’t want anyone to watch him getting all that praise. But then I got to the 49 minute mark and everything made sense.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I only watched from the 45 minute mark because of mel's comment. What the fuck? :olol: