General Tech News/Discussion Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
ian
Null Dream Team

Re: General Tech News/Discussion Thread

Post by ian »

Update to the above post.
NBN people were in the street last week. I talked to one of them and he told me it was basically all done in my area and we would be good to go, Also mentioned something about having 6 months before I had to swap.

Here's my issue though.. All the good plans have up to ONE HUNDRED MbPS!!!11!!!!!1*

*Maximum possible speed.. May vary on your location, network, national and international web traffic, times of day, lunar fucking cycles aligning, the luck of the irish, what you ate for breakfast, how long you can hold your breath, and how your hair is styled.
:rolleyes:

Even ISP's that do actually state what the minimum standard is for the UPTO 100 (like IInet, internode, TPG)
12 Mbps.. Twelve. TWELVE.. FUCKING TWELVE!!
WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCKING SHIT CUNT IS THAT?!?!?! :whatthe:

When I signed up for ADSL2 a FUCKING DECADE AGO I got a MINIMUM of 18, and it was usually at 24.
WHERE THE FUCK IS 12 coming from.

What my plan is, I am going to be keeping my ADSL (which has been really decent since I complained up untill about 3 weeks ago), and sign up for NBN. If it fails me even a single time (slower than ADSL even for a nanosecond) before the first bill, I simply won't pay it and sign up for next ISP.

If I haven't found an ISP by the time the cutoff happens, I will be going off the internet entirely for the foreseeable future.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I've got 100Mbps NBN. Usually connect at between 30Mbps and 35Mbps because we're a fair way from the dslam. It's still better than the 10Mbps ADSL2 we used to have.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:I've got 100Mbps NBN. Usually connect at between 30Mbps and 35Mbps because we're a fair way from the dslam. It's still better than the 10Mbps ADSL2 we used to have.
Are you with MyRepublic or something just paying for 100Mbps and getting what you can get? I'm 1km from the Node so I can only really attain about 33Mbps but sync at 28Mbps, so I don't bother paying for 100Mbps I just pay for 25Mbps.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

ian wrote:Update to the above post.
NBN people were in the street last week. I talked to one of them and he told me it was basically all done in my area and we would be good to go, Also mentioned something about having 6 months before I had to swap.

Here's my issue though.. All the good plans have up to ONE HUNDRED MbPS!!!11!!!!!1*

*Maximum possible speed.. May vary on your location, network, national and international web traffic, times of day, lunar fucking cycles aligning, the luck of the irish, what you ate for breakfast, how long you can hold your breath, and how your hair is styled.
:rolleyes:

Even ISP's that do actually state what the minimum standard is for the UPTO 100 (like IInet, internode, TPG)

When I signed up for ADSL2 a FUCKING DECADE AGO I got a MINIMUM of 18, and it was usually at 24.

What my plan is, I am going to be keeping my ADSL (which has been really decent since I complained up untill about 3 weeks ago), and sign up for NBN. If it fails me even a single time (slower than ADSL even for a nanosecond) before the first bill, I simply won't pay it and sign up for next ISP.

If I haven't found an ISP by the time the cutoff happens, I will be going off the internet entirely for the foreseeable future.
Good luck with that.

You realise Internet is not a guaranteed service, right? The minimums are laughably slow. If you signed up with TPG, iiNet, Node and didn't pay your bill they WILL send you to a collection agency and then you're banned from the whole group. If you're getting FTTC, the speeds should be alright. If you're getting HFC it should be pretty close to FTTP speeds. If you get FTTN, well at least an ISP can give you a speed estimate prior to signing up,

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

ian wrote:Even ISP's that do actually state what the minimum standard is for the UPTO 100 (like IInet, internode, TPG)

Sounds like US internet. 12 is pretty middle ground where I live. A lot of people I know only have 6. The absolute highest available in the area is 50, but you have to live in town and have a full cable TV package to get it.

It's even worse when you get about 10 miles out of town. Most people in rural areas only have access to mobile hotspots, which have absurdly low data caps (some people only pay for 5GB/month).

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Skynet wrote:You realise Internet is not a guaranteed service, right? The minimums are laughably slow. If you signed up with TPG, iiNet, Node and didn't pay your bill they WILL send you to a collection agency and then you're banned from the whole group. If you're getting FTTC, the speeds should be alright. If you're getting HFC it should be pretty close to FTTP speeds. If you get FTTN, well at least an ISP can give you a speed estimate prior to signing up,
It is though. if a service is not delivered to a degree of acceptable level, payment is not enforceable. If I am paying for a service that is not delivered, the ACCC rains shitballs down upon said business (remember when I was on vodafone wireless and it wouldn't connect fucking anywhere, I stopped paying, they threatened bullshit and wouldn't let me end the contract early, so I proved the service was not fit for which it was sold and didn't pay a cent after 3 months)

So a Single drop under the minimum stated speed is a breach of contract, that simple, And the ACCC has greater powers than any collection agency or local law enforcement could ever wish for. :owink:
melancholy wrote:
ian wrote:Even ISP's that do actually state what the minimum standard is for the UPTO 100 (like IInet, internode, TPG)

Sounds like US internet. 12 is pretty middle ground where I live. A lot of people I know only have 6. The absolute highest available in the area is 50, but you have to live in town and have a full cable TV package to get it.

It's even worse when you get about 10 miles out of town. Most people in rural areas only have access to mobile hotspots, which have absurdly low data caps (some people only pay for 5GB/month).
So everything is shit everywhere. :olol: and having to have a cable tv package for better speed is bullshit.
But I suppose each provider runs proprietary tech/cables to the house right?
Here it wasn't so stupid because you had pretty much everyone running off one set of cables (AKA Telstra) Then everyone piggybacked off their infrastructure and optus came along and made their own set of cable lines.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Skynet wrote:Are you with MyRepublic or something just paying for 100Mbps and getting what you can get? I'm 1km from the Node so I can only really attain about 33Mbps but sync at 28Mbps, so I don't bother paying for 100Mbps I just pay for 25Mbps.
TPG

They did send an email saying we can drop down but they don't have a 50Mbps plan, 25Mbps is their second best one, so we are paying another $20 for an extra 5 to 10Mbps. The extra speed is getting used though, with all the Netflix, Foxtel Now, Youtube etc. streaming happening all at once.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

ian wrote:
Skynet wrote:You realise Internet is not a guaranteed service, right? The minimums are laughably slow. If you signed up with TPG, iiNet, Node and didn't pay your bill they WILL send you to a collection agency and then you're banned from the whole group. If you're getting FTTC, the speeds should be alright. If you're getting HFC it should be pretty close to FTTP speeds. If you get FTTN, well at least an ISP can give you a speed estimate prior to signing up,
It is though.
I work for an ISP. I have worked for an ISP for 6 years. Internet in Australia is NOT a guaranteed service. Unlike telephone services or electricity, it's not guaranteed. If it were a guaranteed service there wouldn't be locations around Australia that simply cannot receive Internet. Broadband in itself does have some minimums in terms of a serviceable level. Fun fact, Naked ADSL has no such minimum guarantees.

Also, please never sign up with my company.
Dr. Zoidberg wrote:
Skynet wrote:Are you with MyRepublic or something just paying for 100Mbps and getting what you can get? I'm 1km from the Node so I can only really attain about 33Mbps but sync at 28Mbps, so I don't bother paying for 100Mbps I just pay for 25Mbps.
TPG

They did send an email saying we can drop down but they don't have a 50Mbps plan, 25Mbps is their second best one, so we are paying another $20 for an extra 5 to 10Mbps. The extra speed is getting used though, with all the Netflix, Foxtel Now, Youtube etc. streaming happening all at once.
I'm guessing you're FTTN?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Skynet wrote:I'm guessing you're FTTN?
Yep. About 1.2k from the dslam.

I would have liked to get 50 or 60Mbps but I'm not a huge downloader of stuff anymore, and for the most part everything has worked smoothly.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Skynet wrote:I work for an ISP. I have worked for an ISP for 6 years. Internet in Australia is NOT a guaranteed service. Unlike telephone services or electricity, it's not guaranteed. If it were a guaranteed service there wouldn't be locations around Australia that simply cannot receive Internet. Broadband in itself does have some minimums in terms of a serviceable level. Fun fact, Naked ADSL has no such minimum guarantees.
I know you work for an ISP. In fact, if you remember, I proof read your application when you were sick of the bullshit at the supermarket.
But, it's still a Guaranteed service... If you can't provide that service, you won't let someone sign up. but once they have, there is obligation to provide a service paid for :owink: There are places without power and phone lines/network coverage, as such, you can't sign up for those services either in those places, there is still a guarantee on service delivery once something has been signed up for though.

Skynet wrote: Also, please never sign up with my company.
The likelyhood that would happen was reduced when one of Australia's best independent ISP's (arguably THE best) became iinet, And then further reduced when they became TPG, who are second only to telstra and optus in the shitty ISP field.
Even with you (not a fuckwit) working there, I'll still try to find an an independent ISP who offers better service / better price to compete before I go to any big telco. :olol:

On the plus side, if I ever did sign up with your company, I could spam you with how shit my net is. "thumbsup Not that I would, things have to be really shit before I whinge, which is why I'll be trying a few options before I settle into my ISP for the next 10 years.
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

ian wrote:
Skynet wrote:I work for an ISP. I have worked for an ISP for 6 years. Internet in Australia is NOT a guaranteed service. Unlike telephone services or electricity, it's not guaranteed. If it were a guaranteed service there wouldn't be locations around Australia that simply cannot receive Internet. Broadband in itself does have some minimums in terms of a serviceable level. Fun fact, Naked ADSL has no such minimum guarantees.
I know you work for an ISP. In fact, if you remember, I proof read your application when you were sick of the bullshit at the supermarket.
But, it's still a Guaranteed service... If you can't provide that service, you won't let someone sign up. but once they have, there is obligation to provide a service paid for :owink: There are places without power and phone lines/network coverage, as such, you can't sign up for those services either in those places, there is still a guarantee on service delivery once something has been signed up for though.

Skynet wrote: Also, please never sign up with my company.
The likelyhood that would happen was reduced when one of Australia's best independent ISP's (arguably THE best) became iinet, And then further reduced when they became TPG, who are second only to telstra and optus in the shitty ISP field.
Even with you (not a fuckwit) working there, I'll still try to find an an independent ISP who offers better service / better price to compete before I go to any big telco. :olol:

On the plus side, if I ever did sign up with your company, I could spam you with how shit my net is. "thumbsup Not that I would, things have to be really shit before I whinge, which is why I'll be trying a few options before I settle into my ISP for the next 10 years.
Australia, you know that country you live in, does not see Internet as a guaranteed service no matter what any customer says.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:
Skynet wrote:I'm guessing you're FTTN?
Yep. About 1.2k from the dslam.

I would have liked to get 50 or 60Mbps but I'm not a huge downloader of stuff anymore, and for the most part everything has worked smoothly.
How long ago did your area become live? It's worth noting the Nodes aren't running to full potential while the co-existance period is in effect - the period where both phone/DSL services and NBN are both delivered in the neighbourhood. When this period is up, it's possible both you and I might be able to achieve closer to 50Mbps.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Only moved here 2 months ago but I think they got NBN in this area in February or March.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Hopefully by about this time next year you might see an improvement. I talked to a customer on FTTN who said he was getting 85Mbps but after co-existence ended he was getting 106Mbps.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Alright, that's pretty cool. Hopefully there's a nice speed boost in the future.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

That's pretty much an extreme version of Jubeat.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

When it drops in price it could be worth getting one to use with the 360/PS3/WiiU.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »