The Boxing Thread

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: Boxing Thread (Mayweather vs McGregor)

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea 4.9m seems rather OTT. However I think there's quite a lot of UK interest in the fight, especially in Ireland, so maybe the 4.9m is a worldwide PPV buys estimate.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Found a working stream at the right time.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Conor looking alright. Nice uppercut.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Mayweather wins. McGregor did OK, his punches were a bit weak but he still lasted 10 rounds. He barely threw a punch in the last couple of rounds though.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:Mayweather wins. McGregor did OK, his punches were a bit weak but he still lasted 10 rounds. He barely threw a punch in the last couple of rounds though.
Yea talk was Conor was gassed out. Going ten rounds with an elite calibre fighter like Floyd is a huge achievement. I have a feeling we will see Paulie/Conor next, unless he has a deal with Dana to go straight back to the UFC. Regardless if he won or lost, Mc has made himself incredibly rich from just one fight.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Yeah, Conor burned himself out in the first 4 rounds and Floyd took over after that. He's still got to get used to the pace of boxing if he ever does it again. You could tell in round 8 which is the equivalent of round 5 in MMA versus rounds 9 and 10 that he underestimated the extra time as Floyd looked fresh.

I thought the highlight of the show was wondering if Mayweather wore the ski mask as a reference to the IRA balaclava or if he's a huge Breakfast Club show fan and loved that infamous Kodak Black interview.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Please tell me the cable company kept the recording of Dick Vitale yelling at the operator. That would easily be the best thing involving the fight.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man wrote:
Yea 4.9m seems rather OTT. However I think there's quite a lot of UK interest in the fight, especially in Ireland, so maybe the 4.9m is a worldwide PPV buys estimate.
I'm starting to think I was wrong. I've been seeing people say the bars and movie theater turnouts were massive. I just didn't see people saying they were excited like they were for Pacquiao. But I guess people viewed it as a pop culture event rather than an important fight.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit wrote:
Big Boss Man wrote:
I'm starting to think I was wrong. I've been seeing people say the bars and movie theater turnouts were massive. I just didn't see people saying they were excited like they were for Pacquiao. But I guess people viewed it as a pop culture event rather than an important fight.
Could have been there was a late surge in interest. It's one of those must-see type fights for casual fans once they know about them. I imagine it's you go to a sports bar to watch it it's included as part of the night out and with a theatre viewing I'm guessing the ticket price would be way under a $100 a ticket. How they calculate what the PPV price for a venue/bar etc will be relative to the number of people going Im not sure.

In other news
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest- ... book-movie

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man wrote:
Bandit wrote:
Big Boss Man wrote:
Could have been there was a late surge in interest. It's one of those must-see type fights for casual fans once they know about them. I imagine it's you go to a sports bar to watch it it's included as part of the night out and with a theatre viewing I'm guessing the ticket price would be way under a $100 a ticket. How they calculate what the PPV price for a venue/bar etc will be relative to the number of people going Im not sure.

In other news
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest- ... book-movie
I don't think they count bars in PPV buyrates because they have to buy a business license version of the show which costs more, kind of like how video rental stores had to buy VHS tapes that cost $100 instead of the $15 retail stores sold them for.

Bars usually just put a drink or food minimum purchase amount instead of charge for entry and movie theaters were charging $50 a ticket. Which is only cheaper if you go alone. Otherwise if you go with friends, instead of paying $100 flat fee 4 people would pay $200. But you get a huge screen and good sound system to hear Mauro scream and Floyd Sr. say fuck.

Also I heard with the amount theaters made on Saturday night that it averaged over $5,000 per screening, which was a better average than any movie this weekend.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea they used to put £100+ price tags on rental VHS in the rental stores. I imagine if you broke the tape or lost it etc you'd have to pay that price to replace it. PPV is still quite a new type format here. The big boxing fights used to be on Sky Movies, then Sky Sports then they went to PPV in the late 90s IIRC. They tried to do PPV football games but they didn't really work out.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Not sure how long it will last on there but the full fight is up on YouTube here

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Dana has said McGregor/Mayweather did a PPV record breaking 6.5m PPV buys

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/boxing ... -UFC-video

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Jeepers, that's big.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Holy shit I couldn't have been more wrong friday. :olol:

That means at 30% Conor's cut is $97 million after splitting with cable companies. Plus his purse guarantee (which I think was $30 million), merchandise and the live gate cut. But I think he has to give UFC money out of his cut.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I don't know if this plays in all countries, but here's the ESPN 30 for 30 on Tommy Morrison that just came out. It's pretty good.