Calavera's Goodwill/Flea Market Finds 2: Resurrection

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Calavera's Goodwill/Flea Market Finds 2: Resurrection

Post by Calavera »

To all of you doubting if I am the real Calavera this should be all the proof you need!

Recent pickups:

Soundesign 5994B from the late 80s, Features a dual-cassette + 8-track and even a record player! The record player is separate from the main unit. The record player has red and white RCAs and a Sega Genesis style adapter plug which plugs into the main unit to get power. So it can really only be used with the 5994B unless you rigged up your own power cable. I think these are pretty rare to find, especially with the record player. Cassettes, 8-track and record player all work! $5 for the main unit + $5 for the record player. $10 total

Sony Boombox with MEGA BASS!!!! I've got many boomboxes but for $6 with everything working I couldn't pass it up.

Optimus Stereo Reciever, always nice to have an extra one hand for testing out things like cassette decks and record players which need to be hooked into some kind of amplifier $2

Nintendo madness at Goodwill! They just happened to have a Nintendo Wii and a Nintendo NES at the same time so I bought them both! The Wii came with the power and AC cables + sensor bar + a pro controller for $15. The NES was just the console, but I just happened to have a controller, AC adapter and of course RCA cables to make it complete. I tested it out, expected the 72-pin connector to be wore out but it fires up the games right away! Price for the NES $10.

An old JCPenney Record+ Cassette from Salvation Army $10. Record and AM/FM works great but I think the cassette needs a new belt. $10

Now just for fun a few things I don't think I posted in the other thread

Fisher AM/FM Record player + original speakers (speakers not pictured)

Cassette Transformer!

Portable VHS plugs right into your cigarette lighter! The best way to watch video on the go! :olol:

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Re: Calavera's Goodwill/Flea Market Finds 2: Electric Boogaloo

Post by Roofus »

Yeah right. Fake Calaveras can go to Goodwill and flea markets too.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I'm betting Cal is really Roofus and vice versa.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

$10 for an NES, nice.

And that first stereo looks cool.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Damnit, I wish we could have found a $15 Wii at Goodwill. My mom's died and they had to buy one off someone for $50.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

melancholy wrote:Damnit, I wish we could have found a $15 Wii at Goodwill. My mom's died and they had to buy one off someone for $50.
I was pretty surprised to find one complete with all the cables for $15. When I tested it out it had a few Virtual Console games installed on it and even had 007 Goldeneye in the drive!

Also forgot to add I also found another Canon Pixma printer, an iP4600 for $3!

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: Calavera's Goodwill/Flea Market Finds 2: Resurrection

Post by Big Boss Man »

Some cool finds, especially the NES and Wii. The stereo which lights up is cool too. Have you ever come across any real rare stuff whilst looking for other things?.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Big Boss Man wrote:Some cool finds, especially the NES and Wii. The stereo which lights up is cool too. Have you ever come across any real rare stuff whilst looking for other things?.
Nothing extremely rare that I can think of. You might remember this from my old thread but I did find this Saturn display thing a few years back for $3.

Only 750 made so pretty rare but not extremely valuable. I ended up selling it for $100.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Calavera wrote:
Big Boss Man wrote:Some cool finds, especially the NES and Wii. The stereo which lights up is cool too. Have you ever come across any real rare stuff whilst looking for other things?.
Nothing extremely rare that I can think of. You might remember this from my old thread but I did find this Saturn display thing a few years back for $3.

Only 750 made so pretty rare but not extremely valuable. I ended up selling it for $100.
Yea I remember the Saturn display plaque. I'm guessing anything super rare would be priced accordingly. You might strike gold if you search thru vinyls or old vintage action figures (like Star Wars for example), rare video games or anything which there's a big collectors market for.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Picked up an N64 a couple days ago. It came with the power and AV cables but no controller. The sticker on it said "Sold for parts only, powers on but no video $7" I thought well there really isn't much that goes wrong with N64s, maybe the guy didn't know much about it and the video cable is bad or the game he tested it with was bad. For $7 I figured it was worth a shot. Brought it home hooked it up and popped 007 The World is not enough and it fired right up! I have no controller so the only thing it does it load the screen that says "No Controller" but still $7 for a working N64 console, can't beat it.

Also picked up a Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR for only $3!

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Cal needs his own YouTube series similar to Game Chasers.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

That would be pretty cool.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Cal needs his own YouTube series similar to Game Chasers.
Yep, he should be the Thrift Hunter~! and good find for the 64.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Seriously, though, a Hauppauge 1212 for only $3? That's madness. Hey, Cal, I'll double your money on it. I'll pay you $9 for it right now.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Rather than creating a new topic, thought I might ask here. Cal, if you ever pick up VHS in your hunts do you ever find them to have mold or spots of mold in them. Like this:

Also have you found a successful way of cleaning the mold. I've googled and apart from disassembling a VHS and cleaning it manually it's kinda difficult to fix. One fix mentioned if its not too bad is to fast forward and rewinding which sometimes helps. It also recommends not putting too badly damaged VHS in a player since it'll damage the tape itself and the VHS heads.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Big Boss Man wrote:Rather than creating a new topic, thought I might ask here. Cal, if you ever pick up VHS in your hunts do you ever find them to have mold or spots of mold in them. Like this:

Also have you found a successful way of cleaning the mold. I've googled and apart from disassembling a VHS and cleaning it manually it's kinda difficult to fix. One fix mentioned if its not too bad is to fast forward and rewinding which sometimes helps. It also recommends not putting too badly damaged VHS in a player since it'll damage the tape itself and the VHS heads.
I've never come across any VHS tapes like that but I once buy a lot of about 25 Beta tapes and one or two of them had a some mold, not quite as bad as that picture but still they had some. I just threw them out because I've heard if you keep them with your other tapes it can spread to them. I imagine it would be quite hard to clean off.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

OK thanks. I had a VHS which just a tiny bit of mold in and it snapped in the VCR. Luckily I managed to get the loose tape out so I think in future if I come across tapes with any mold in or white specks in I'll avoid those. I also think the mold only spreads if you play them in a VCR. But I'd imagine if you stored them together without a case then yea the mold would definitely spread then.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Haven't been buying much lately. Did pick up Wargames on CED

Don't have a player but I really like the movie and I figured for $3 why not pick it up on CED!

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

I usually post my sales on here too. I've sold a few things here lately nothing big money or nothing but here it is.

Aura Interactor Virtual Reality Game Vest- Bought $10 Sold $42.95

Dino Crisis for Sega Dreamcast- Bought ? Sold $22.99 I've had that game for probably 10-15 years and never played it. Probably only paid like $4.99 for back when DC stuff was dirt cheap.

Nintendo Power Banjo Tooie Nintendo 64 Player's Official Strategy Guide- Bought $0.50 Sold $14.95

Schoolhouse Rock Box-Set- Bought $3 Sold $50

Broken Sega Game Gear- Bought $3 Sold $15 (only got around $7-$8 after fees and shipping but hey that is more than I would have got just throwing it away :) )

Knight Rider PC- Bought for I think $20 when it was brand new in 2001 Sold $30

Croc for Sega Saturn: Bought like 10+ years ago for idk like $7 probably Sold $16

2 Hot Wheels Bought $0 Sold $15

Nothing too awful exciting in the sales department. Probably the biggest two profit wise would be School House Rock and the Banjo-Tooie guide.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Picked up an IBM Model M keyboard for $1