Things you have forgotten about

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: Things you have forgotten about

Post by Bandit »

They replaced Tyson with Mr. Dream when a money dispute caused Tyson to pull his licensing rights in 1990. Which was a blessing in disguise for Nintendo given what happened a year later with him.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

OK thanks, thought the UK release of Punch Out came out later which is why Mike is absent from the game.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

There was only a two month delay between when America and Europe had the original release in 1987.

He signed a deal to license his name for 3 years for $50,000 before he won the title. After he won it and the game was so successful he was angry about it because he thought he should get a raise since now he was the biggest star in sports besides the NBA superstars. So when he asked for too much money in 1990 (since the game had stopped selling so much because everyone had it that wanted it) they just took him out.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

OK cool thanks. Yea it must have been an reissued one I played then.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Blockbuster! I preferred the smaller video rental stores, although blockbuster had more wrestling tapes and videogames. Reminds me and I might not be totally accurate but I think one guy with a van who sold like groceries on it used to rent out VHS tapes too. In hindsight thats :rofl2:

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I grew up with an awesome independent video store that Blockbuster put out of business in 1997, so I had to go there afterwards. The last time I went to Blockbuster was to rent Apocalypse Now Redux at the end of 2001 and then just bought stuff since collecting DVD was what everybody did. You just rented VHS tapes when you wanted them, but DVDs you just wanted to buy.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

I liked Hollywood Video better than Blockbuster. They had a better selection of Xbox games. I'd rent them and copy them if I liked them. That's pretty much how I built up my library. I don't think I ever downloaded an Xbox game. :olol:

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit wrote:I grew up with an awesome independent video store that Blockbuster put out of business in 1997, so I had to go there afterwards. The last time I went to Blockbuster was to rent Apocalypse Now Redux at the end of 2001 and then just bought stuff since collecting DVD was what everybody did. You just rented VHS tapes when you wanted them, but DVDs you just wanted to buy.
Last time I went was when they closing up shop. Don't think I picked anything up though as most stuff was still cheaper to buy on Amazon. Also when they were phasing tapes out I must have missed out on majority of the wrestling ones. Think they had the WCW profile ones but I had those already.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

A friend reminded me about Slice soda. I forgot about it but used to drink the orange soda non-stop as a kid. And girls only wanted Strawberry. Too bad they went out of business 10 years ago.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Oh damn, Slice. I forgot all about that soda and yet the moment you mentioned it, I remembered exactly what it tasted like. Weird.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The worst thing is they got rid of it for Sierra Mist and somehow that's still around. Who is buying that?

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

Bandit wrote:The worst thing is they got rid of it for Sierra Mist and somehow that's still around. Who is buying that?
people who eat at Taco Bell.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bum Fights

We used to get it on one of the satellite channels here, Bravo I think. The old guy with the beard and long hair was like their Stonecold. :rofl2:

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

There was this moment where one of the creators went on Dr. Phil for a weird appearance.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

His hair is weird too, looks like he's cosplaying Jesse Ventura :lol: in hindsight it was really, really messed up what they did, exploiting the homeless. That was a weird time. You had Jackass, Tough man contests etc too.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

He was dressed like Dr. Phil because he was planning to make the point that they both exploit people who are troubled and vulnerable, so he's no better than the Bumfights creators.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Ah OK. He looks like the guy who plays Jesse in the Jesse Ventura TV movie. He has a good point too. But seriously that Bumfights was in poor taste & wouldn't fly today, but the old guy cracked me up. How & why Bravo (I think) picked it up for TV I don't know.