WOW coming to AXS

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

WOW coming to AXS

Post by Big Boss Man »

JUNE 18, 2018
9:00am PT by Jackie Strause
'WOW — Women Of Wrestling' Series Sells to AXS TV (Exclusive)
The all-women's professional wrestling league matches will begin airing in 2019.
Courtesy of WOW
A WOW match between wrestlers Khloe Hurtz and Jungle Grrrl

The all-women's professional wrestling league matches will begin airing in 2019.
The Women Of Wrestling are coming to the little screen on AXS TV.

The live-event and music-themed network has secured the rights for events and programming featuring the all-women's professional wrestling league, including digital series WOW — Women Of Wrestling, the company announced on Monday.

The cable, satellite and telco distribution deal with MGM Television will see AXS TV start recording WOW league events in Los Angeles later this year for broadcast beginning early 2019. Date, venue and ticket sales information is forthcoming.

“I knew of [WOW owner] Jeanie [Buss'] passion for elevating women’s wrestling for several years, so when Mark Burnett told me what MGM Studios has planned for WOW, I decided to get involved,” AXS TV CEO Mark Cuban said in a statement. “AXS TV’s long-term success inside the squared circle and broadcasting New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW) makes airing WOW a natural fit.”

WOW is the leading women’s professional wrestling organization and content provider owned by Buss in partnership with MGM and founder David McLane. McLane, who founded WOW in 2000, is also the founder of the 1980s hit TV series GLOW (Gorgeous Ladies Of Wrestling), which is currently the inspiration for the fictional Netflix series of the same name starring Alison Brie.

The reception of Netflix's GLOW, which is gearing up to launch its second season later this month, and the success of female-fronted films like Wonder Woman at the box office inspired the deal, according to Buss.

“Fortunately, I grew up knowing that the key to building a winner starts with teamwork,” the WOW owner said in a statement. “I’m so thankful that Mark Burnett and his MGM Studios, and now Mark Cuban’s AXS TV, are all part of our WOW team. AXS TV will provide a valuable platform to boost audience awareness of our WOW Superheroes, help grow our digital ecosystem and provide the best in women’s wrestling to the millions of fans who want to see powerful, confident women do battle in the ring.”

The action-packed and theatrical matches feature the skilled WOW Superheroes — over-the-top characters that include heroes and villains. The WOW series launched across digital formats, available through "WOW World," and is currently in production on its fifth season.

AXS TV is a partnership between Cuban, AEG, Ryan Seacrest Media, CAA and CBS.

Source
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... tv-1120859

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: WOW coming to AXS

Post by Bandit »

They're going to have to be good workers. That women's promotion Jimmy Hart ran with Lacey Von Erich on top went out of business fast because nobody cares about just hot women wrestling, they want a good match too. The Divas era with Candice Michelle and Torrie Wilson having awful matches but getting over with T&A is over. People want Sasha who is very attractive but cares about having a good match (maybe she cares too much because she gets so reckless sometimes out there on big shows.)

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The old broads rasslin' league.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

This is going to be hot garbage.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I'm surprised Jeannie Buss, who was a long time part of the Lakers organisation, is part of this. Wouldn't it be smarter for them to bring back GLOW and do cross promotional stuff with the TV show.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit wrote:They're going to have to be good workers. That women's promotion Jimmy Hart ran with Lacey Von Erich on top went out of business fast because nobody cares about just hot women wrestling, they want a good match too. The Divas era with Candice Michelle and Torrie Wilson having awful matches but getting over with T&A is over. People want Sasha who is very attractive but cares about having a good match (maybe she cares too much because she gets so reckless sometimes out there on big shows.)
Wrestlicious? Yea maybe the funding ran out and there was no real "wrestlers" there. I agree that WWE are out of the T&A fad and if they tried to bring back the pillow fights etc the fans would complain. Back then you only had Trish, Lita, Molly, Jazz, Victoria, Ivory and slightly before that Chyna who could wrestle. The rest were eye candy and really Torrie et al should have been valets. In hindsight building a women's division around those I mentioned minus the silly gimmick matches would have been watchable.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man wrote:I'm surprised Jeannie Buss, who was a long time part of the Lakers organisation, is part of this. Wouldn't it be smarter for them to bring back GLOW and do cross promotional stuff with the TV show.
Yeah, but Netflix may have bought the rights to it. I'm sure they'd be cheap enough since nobody cared about the brand until the show debuted that they could have just bought it instead of leased it.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea that's true, since they could use that as a build up to say a big rebuild, kinda like what WCW wanted to do.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I don't think Netflix wants to relaunch it. They just wanted the library for the documentary and they wanted a star vehicle for Alison Brie since they worked with her and knew she'd be a star, that she just needed the right show.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Well that makes sense. Years ago TV networks wanted wrestling as it was cheap and cheerful programming. But nowadays that might not be so. Although say Netflix did a Lucha Underground style format etc and maybe use matches as part of the series then it might be worth a shot. Plus if they own the library they could put that on Netflix too. Because I see no sense in having footage and not monetising it.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Lucha Underground looks fantastic, but it's the most expensive wrestling promotion to shoot (not counting high WWE salaries, just the production.) Netflix could get a GLOW like LU profitable because they're a bigger platform than the El Rey network that few watch. But I think they're just happy with the TV show. They'd have to get in the wrestling business which means guys like Russo and Bischoff would be trying to get hired to run GLOW. And since they don't know any better since they don't know wrestling one of them could get hired and it would ruin everything before it even began.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea that's true. Maybe it's for the best then they stay out. You can imagine the wackiness Russo would cook up. Ideally they need an advisor who's interests are in favour of Netflix so they don't get burned. Bischoff would go on a spending spree and hire like Kelly Kelly for big money.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

If they do nudity like the GLOW TV show they should definitely hire Kelly Kelly.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

:lol: Didn't they do that Nude wrestling fed quite a few years back too with Carmen Electra involved?

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Yeah but it flopped so they only did one show I think. The company behind Urban Wrestling produced it IIRC.