The Video Card Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
ian
Null Dream Team

Re: The Video Card Thread

Post by ian »

So Nvidia's keynote at computex was pretty good "This Asus ROG laptop has 60% more power than a ps4 pro" :rofl: :rofl: STOP THE FUCKING PRESSES!!!! :rofl:

A ROG laptop with a 1080 in it, which cost AT LEAST FOUR FUCKING GRAND has more power than a $500 Console!?!!?!?!?!!? NO FUCKING WAY NVIVDIA.. HOW DID YOU ACHIEVE SUCH EPIC PERFORMANCE????

AMD can win if they just don't make retarded statements like Nvidia did. Even if Vega sucks balls, as long as they don't turn around and say our flagship product can beat a nintendo switch... :olol:
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

60% more power at 6 times the price, nice.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Too bad it won't mean anything for prices in Australia for about 12 months after it's all hit rock bottom.

before the craze, RX 580's were $320-350ish for any given card. Now $500-650 (wherever there's stock) and the spill has gone to used older cards where people are paying 2-4 times the amount for 290's, 380's, 470's and 480's, as well as Nvidia cards. The 1070 was $500-600 before this, now they're going for $700-800, the 1060 was going for about $350-400 for 6GB cards. Now the 3GB ones are going for $400 and the 6GB ones are all around $500..

It's just insane.. before the mining boom took off, you could get your pick of 1080's for $650-750, even they are up, you're not finding one for less than $850 ATM..

So after prices drop everywhere else worldwide, retailers here will keep the prices up for around 6-9 months before we see any cards close to what they're actually worth. :olol:
I'm a little pissed though, I sold my 290's a little too early (about $75 each too early) and was too late moving on clearance 1080's where there were lots of deals with them at $600ish

And that's your update on the Australian GPU market.
Do not buy any GPU for the next 6 months, either used or new. :olol:
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

I bought my 290x in 2014 I think. I check the prices recently on Ebay and they are the same or in many cases higher than I paid 3 years ago! Many of them had something about mining in the auction title.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

yep. same across the board.

290x's were going for about $130-150 locally before all this, then they exploded to $225-250 (Actual selling prices, not some goober listing them for $350 and not selling)
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

ian wrote:yep. same across the board.

290x's were going for about $130-150 locally before all this, then they exploded to $225-250 (Actual selling prices, not some goober listing them for $350 and not selling)
Almost makes me want to sell mine off, then buy one back in a few months when the prices fall back down. A good idea but I can't really be without a decent video card for that long!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

NVIDIA Graphics Cards To See Price Increases Starting This Month Due To Memory Shortages

Whilst AMD’s newly launched RX Vega family of enthusiast graphics cards continue to see increasingly high pressure on the supply side, NVIDIA’s GeForce GTX 10 series graphics cards will reportedly undergo shortages of their own starting this month due to an industry wide shortage of GDDR5 memory supply, reports Digitimes.

The report indicates that we will start seeing price increases on NVIDIA’s entire lineup, top to bottom. Including the GTX 1080 Ti, GTX 1080, GTX 1070, GTX 1060 and and going all the way down to the GTX 1050. The price increase is expected to amount to approximately 10% and take effect starting in early September. The report claims that GDDR5 memory suppliers, Samsung and SK Hynix, have already taken action to cut their GDDR5 chip supply for the discrete graphics card market. They have also taken pricing action amounting to a 30.8% increase on GDDR5 memory effective immediately.

These decisions the report claims stem from memory makers allocating a larger portion of their manufacturing for standard RAM technology to address increasing demand from the enterprise and mobile markets.

With cryptocurrency miners continuing to exert pressure on graphics card supply, in combination with these recent price increases it seems the poor availability pains will continue for PC gamers looking to upgrade for months to come. If you’ve held off that upgrade hoping for better prices it might be a good time to reconsider, as things stand today it appears that we’ve only seen the beginning of the shortages.

Source: wccftech

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Can't get used to the new naming of Nvidia cards..

RTX? NO!!! NO IT'S GTX...

RTX sounds like Radeon Technology... xtreme
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

A modern day 3DFX!
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

If they’re as good as reports claim, the prices will be astronomical!
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

NVIDIA officially announces its Ampere GPUs, RTX3080 priced at $699, first gaming benchmarks

NVIDIA has just officially announced its new Ampere GPUs. According to the green team, the RTX 3080, RTX 3070 and RTX 3090 will be available for purchase in September 2020. Moreover, NVIDIA revealed the first gaming benchmarks.

The NVIDIA RTX3090 will feature 36 Shader-TFLOPS, 69 RT-TFLOPS and 285 Tensor-TFLOPS. This GPU will come with 24GB of GDDRX6, and will be priced at $1499. According to Jensen Huang, this will be the new Titan GPU for the Ampere series. The NVIDIA RTX3090 will be available on September 24th from both NVIDIA and AIBs.

The NVIDIA RTX3080 will have 30 Shader-TFLOPS, 58 RT-TFLOPS and 238 Tensor-TFLOPS. As the leaks suggested, this GPU will have 10GB of GDDRX6 and will be priced at $699. The NVIDIA RTX3080 will be available on September 14th.

Lastly, the NVIDIA RTX3070 will have 20 Shader-TFLOPS, 40 RT-TFLOPS and 163 Tensor-TFLOPS. This GPU will be available in October 2020, will have 8GB of GDDRX6, and will have an MSRP of $499.

Below you can also find the first gaming benchmarks between the Turing and the Ampere architectures. This is a glimpse at what PC gamers can expect, though we suggest waiting for more third-party gaming benchmarks.

Source: DSOG

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

What the hell is with all the rubber scrapers, man?? There are like 16 over there, left of his totally normal stove hood.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

He must collect them.