Shenmue thread: Do you know where I can find some sailors in HD?

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Skynet
Site Admin

Re: Shenmue thread: Do you know where I can find some sailors in HD?

Post by Skynet »

Yeah but if the game is stored in large data chunks, it's not surprising.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

I think the original install for Shenmue II was about 7GB, now it's 11GB.
I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

I jumped back into Shenmue 1 again after not playing it since September. I didn't think I was all that far into the game, I'm just past getting into Old Warehouse 8. I think I'm not all that far from the end, but I'm not sure.

I watched the video about the unreleased remaster. I had never heard about it before, it is interesting but I'm perfectly happy with the original visuals. Honestly I still think they look pretty good. It is crazy to think that Shenmue is now over 19 years old! The fact that the visuals still hold up pretty good today really says how amazing they were back in 1999-2000. When Shenmue came out in 1999 Space Harrier was only 14 years old! It is just wild to think that Shenmue is now 5 years older than Space Harrier was when Shenmue was released. It would be like if a new game came out now and had an arcade where you could play games from 2005.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Has anybody had any trouble with Shenmue using way too much of the CPU? I have an i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz and when I play Shenmue it maxes the CPU out to almost 100 percent. There is no reason for this and it causes the CPU to run way hotter then it should for a game like Shenmue. What I ended up doing was while I'm playing Shenmue I just go into the power setting before and set the Processor Power Management to 75 percent. Then the CPU only runs at 2.5ghz. The game still runs perfectly fine but it isn't constantly maxing out at 4.2ghz causing unnecessary heat. I don't have the latest patch though. I've only updated it to 1.02 but am in the process of getting the 1.06 patch.

The patch notes for 1.02 say "Fixed an issue that caused increased CPU load on some hardware." It has helped some but it is still way higher then it should be for a game like Shenmue. At 4.2ghz it uses about 60 percent vs almost 100 percent without the patch. But when I slow it down to 2.5ghz it still uses 60 percent. It doesn't make any sense!

*edit I've noticed something else weird. I had the CPU set to 3.1ghz, the game runs fine but when I went to the arcade to play Space Harrier it played incredibly slow! I turned the CPU back up to 4.2ghz and it did play faster but still played much slower then it should have. How could they mess up something like running Space Harrier? Apparently you need a 5ghz CPU or faster to play Space Harrier properly! Maybe after I apply the 1.06 patch it will fix this. So far that is really the only main glitch I've come across. I had one glitched cutscene which was right after picking up a main story item from the basement.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

In 1999 Shenmue could run perfectly fine on a 200MHz 32bit CPU, 16MB of RAM and an 8MB GPU and needed 3GB of storage space.

Still plays perfectly after 20 years.

In 2019 it can max out a 5GHz 64bit quad core CPU, 16GB of RAM and an 8GB GPU just because it can. And the updates to fix the game are now larger than the entire original game was.

Had an update before 20 hours, still not working 100%

Time to leave this world behind.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

ian wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:01 am In 1999 Shenmue could run perfectly fine on a 200MHz 32bit CPU, 16MB of RAM and an 8MB GPU and needed 3GB of storage space.

Still plays perfectly after 20 years.

In 2019 it can max out a 5GHz 64bit quad core CPU, 16GB of RAM and an 8GB GPU just because it can. And the updates to fix the game are now larger than the entire original game was.

Had an update before 20 hours, still not working 100%

Time to leave this world behind.
I had to download almost 7GB of updates! :oshocked: but now it seems the game is running correctly. No more 100 percent CPU usage, no more running at 50 percent speed or less when switched to borderless window. Space Harrier now plays correctly. I agree with you though there should not have been this many problems for a game that is almost 20 years old. It already ran fairly decent in NullDC, the main problems if I remember correctly were problems with Ryo's hair and none of the arcade games work. Also I don't understand why the game has to switch back to 4:3 for cutscenes. If you play Shenmue on NullDC with 16:9 extra geometry enabled the cutscenes display in 16:9 just fine. So why can't they on the remastered version?

*update
I just got to the part where that little skinhead guy fights you, apparently his name is Chai. Anyways this is a very hard fight that a lot of people thought was a scripted lose the first time they played it. I happened to save right before this fight came up. I lost to him of course. Then I looked up a video that recommended you use grabbing moves on him. I tried again and lost, so I tried again....and lost. I wanted to beat him but there is an unskippable cutscene right before the fight and I was getting tired of watching it over and over. So I decided to give up, but then I thought well I'll try just one more time. And holy shit I did it! I beat him! To anybody else here that has played Shenmue recently were you able to beat Chai?

I have another question for those of you who have played Shenmue. Did you learn,practice and power up your moves? Or did you kind of completely ignore the fighting aspect in Shenmue? Personally I kind of just ignore the fighting part. I never buy any move scrolls from the antique shop and never go to the Dojo to practice my moves. In fights I use just the basic punch kick and throw moves and usually win with no problem. There aren't really that many fighting sequences to make it worth it to practice and learn all those moves. I haven't completed the remaster yet, but when I finished the DC version all those years ago I don't remember having much of a problem where you fight like 70 people in a row. One thing I remember about that fight is that the VMU showed either how many people you had beaten or how many was left. It was pretty cool, in the remake they should have a little VMU pop up in the corner to show you that number.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

darc
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by darc »

Calavera wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:37 pm I just got to the part where that little skinhead guy fights you, apparently his name is Chai. Anyways this is a very hard fight that a lot of people thought was a scripted lose the first time they played it. I happened to save right before this fight came up. I lost to him of course. Then I looked up a video that recommended you use grabbing moves on him. I tried again and lost, so I tried again....and lost. I wanted to beat him but there is an unskippable cutscene right before the fight and I was getting tired of watching it over and over. So I decided to give up, but then I thought well I'll try just one more time. And holy shit I did it! I beat him! To anybody else here that has played Shenmue recently were you able to beat Chai?

I have another question for those of you who have played Shenmue. Did you learn,practice and power up your moves? Or did you kind of completely ignore the fighting aspect in Shenmue? Personally I kind of just ignore the fighting part. I never buy any move scrolls from the antique shop and never go to the Dojo to practice my moves. In fights I use just the basic punch kick and throw moves and usually win with no problem. There aren't really that many fighting sequences to make it worth it to practice and learn all those moves. I haven't completed the remaster yet, but when I finished the DC version all those years ago I don't remember having much of a problem where you fight like 70 people in a row. One thing I remember about that fight is that the VMU showed either how many people you had beaten or how many was left. It was pretty cool, in the remake they should have a little VMU pop up in the corner to show you that number.

I replayed with my gf last year and no, I didn't beat Chai.

I'm the same way as you, I never got into the fighting part of Shenmue. Never bought scrolls, never practiced. I just did all the mandatory stuff and button mashed a lot during the battles and won no problem. On the 70 people fight I just beat up some, run away until my health comes back and beat up more.

I think this is one of shenmue's flaws, the fighting aspect really should be fleshed out more for a game that's about a martial arts guy

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Stormwatch
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Stormwatch »

They just announced that Shenmue III will be exclusive to Epic Games' store.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

People are pissed about it. It's a slap in the face for people that backed the Steam version on Kickstarter.

PS4/PC special edition from LRG:

Stormwatch
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Stormwatch »

But the game in this "physical" edition is just an Epic Store code.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Yep, the PC physical version will still be for EGS.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

ian wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:23 am I ended up picking the PS4 physical version, figuring that if I ever want it on PC it'll be in a steam sale for $5.99 in a year... but a digital version seems like a waste, and the physical copy on PC doesn't make a lot of sense.

I suppose it makes little difference either way.
Well thank fuck I kept it for PS4, the difference is a lot larger now.

I’m sure they’ll dick me out of my physical version too, but anyone old enough to want to buy shenmue is a grumpy old man/woman who hates change.

We already have 50 fucking game launchers, none of us want epic lol.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

24 minute S3 gameplay video:

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

That’s the most Shenmue gameplay demo they could have ever presented.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

trailer looks boring as fuck... I LOVE IT!!
And Youtube, Reddit and Kickstarter backers are really losing their shit over this epic games thing. Where was this outrage that the game wasn't going to come to dreamcast?

I still have to get around to playing 2. Recently re-re-re-re-finished 1.

Only problem is platform.. I'm tempted to just play it on PS4.. but then I'll have 50TB of fucking updates each time I want to play like every fucking game on modern consoles, if I play on xbox (original) I have to borrow an xbox then smash through it quick to get the xbox back, and if I dig out the dreamcast, let's be honest I'm gonna spend the whole time it's set up on Crazy Taxi and soul calibur. so the save file continue will be useless anyway.

I guess I'll just wait till 3 is here, then decide what to do with 2.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »