The Zelda Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Matisfaction
Global Mod

Re: The Zelda Thread

Post by Matisfaction »

I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Zelda: Breath Of The NES Fan Project Shut Down

The Zelda Fan project, Zelda: Breath Of The NES which was based on Breath of the Wild’s 2D Prototype has been been shut down by Nintendo. The developer of the game doesn’t plan to abandon their work however.

The fan behind the project, WinterDrake, has tweeted a DMCA takedown notice from Nintendo of America. The notices states that the game makes use of various Nintendo copyrights and as a result needs to be taken down. The demo has been taken down from itch.io. This is not the first time this has happened, as Nintendo have issued takedown notices for various games in the past including the popular fan made Pokemon game, Pokemon Uranium.

WinterDrake has confirmed that the game will move forward even though it has suffered this setback. What has been described as a “spin-off project” by the developer, WinterDrake has promised that this project will be bigger and better than the original version, and will feature higher-resolution art work. WinterDrake have also stated that “all of the gameplay and design” from Breath of the NES will make it into the new game.

There hasn’t been any specific information shared about the new game yet. But you can check out the latest trailer for Zelda” Breath of the NES below.

source

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

LOL that's great! "thumbsup
I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Modded characters make their way to Breath of the Wild

Cemu developers have worked tirelessly to make Breath of the Wild as optimised as it can be on the platform and it looks to have created a ‘Buzz’ in the modding community. Recently we’ve seen a bunch of characters from other franchises make their way over, and while some fit better than others, Toy Story’s Woody is a surprising fit.

While the character isn’t known to wield a sword in any traditional sense, it’s Pixar’s timeless artstyle that just so happens to gel flawlessly with the latest Zelda’s vibrant world. If anything, the sheer size of the world in Breath of the Wild is enough to feel like you’re but a small toy in the first place.

Mods such as this seemed to be popping up all over the place, starting last week with CJ following the wrong damn train in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and ending up in Hyrule. Wandering into the wrong neighbourhood, CJ is forced to swap an armoury of guns for swords and bows to teach these fools a lesson.

This was followed shortly after with Minecraft’s Steve, Mario’s Waluigi and loose inspiration taken from The Witcher series in making Link look a lot like Geralt. While not heroic, Breath of the Wah starring Waluigi did crack me up a bit.

Unfortunately these mods can’t be found for the vanilla version on the Nintendo Switch, but hopefully there’s more to come from the modding community as Breath of the Wild’s potential is limited only to the imagine of the creator.

KitGuru Says: Now, if Tom Hanks or even Jim Hanks could just come out and voice Woody for a Breath of the Wild/Toy Story crossover, that would be fantastic. What crazy mods and characters would you like to see make their way to the game?
source

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I just finished Breath of the Wild and I think it'll be interesting how history treats it.

The gameplay is amazing, but the story was paper thin.

You find some NPCs, solve their problems and keep on riding. The four major quests are almost identical and has little emotional impact or consequence. When I saw the ending, I looked to see if I had missed something. Nope, I had gotten a full ending that left me shrugging. The overall plot pulled no punches abd didn't have any surprises.

But what the characters face after the credits roll seems a lot more interesting. I hope Nintendo does something similar as Majora's Mask with a sequel that's a little different.

BotW reminds me a lot of OoT in how big of shift it represents and how fundamentally sound the core mechanics are.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Wow, that intro was amazing only to be followed by that hot garbage of actual game footage. What the hell are they doing to the Zelda franchise? The last 3 Zelda games have all been busts and now this.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It looks like A Link Between Worlds, but with more of a shiny plastic look.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

melancholy wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:24 pm Wow, that intro was amazing only to be followed by that hot garbage of actual game footage.
Here's the thing, I think the in-game art style looks really good. But it was a massive tease to have a FMV anime intro like that :olol:
melancholy wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:24 pmWhat the hell are they doing to the Zelda franchise? The last 3 Zelda games have all been busts and now this.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Literally everyone I've seen comment on this new one, as well as the last few, have all been sucking its dick. Mel is the only one I've seen criticism from

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

pixel wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:39 am
melancholy wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:24 pmWhat the hell are they doing to the Zelda franchise? The last 3 Zelda games have all been busts and now this.
To be clear, I’m referring to Triforce Heroes, Link Between Worlds and Breath of the Wild. And for complete fairness, I will say my main issue with LBW was that it was a sequel to a game I have never beaten so it ended up being weaker entry as a result, and that I have never played Breath of the Wild and base my opinion solely on previews leading up to its launch.
Skynet wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:01 am Literally everyone I've seen comment on this new one, as well as the last few, have all been sucking its dick. Mel is the only one I've seen criticism from
I don’t see how that’s possible. This game’s graphics literally looks like Nintendo is making a game based on indie games based on the Zelda series. Also, it looks incredibly slow. And I realize that’s probably not fair since the original didn’t have the fastest walking speed either, but the widescreen zoomed out look certainly doesn’t help it.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

No. Just no.
Links awakening is the best Zelda game ever, it didn’t need to be remade. Ported in all its glory, sure, but making it look like that... ugh.

It looks like arse, and considering it was a gameboy game, looking like ass 25 years later isn’t something charming.

I’ll still buy it anyway lmao. As one of only 2 enjoyable Zelda games in my entire life I’m sure I’ll love it again despite changes. As long as they haven’t changed the fishing mechanics or my ability to shoplift...

But it does look fucking stupid and amateurish.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

melancholy wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:32 am
To be clear, I’m referring to Triforce Heroes, Link Between Worlds and Breath of the Wild. And for complete fairness, I will say my main issue with LBW was that it was a sequel to a game I have never beaten so it ended up being weaker entry as a result, and that I have never played Breath of the Wild and base my opinion solely on previews leading up to its launch.
Skynet wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:01 am Literally everyone I've seen comment on this new one, as well as the last few, have all been sucking its dick. Mel is the only one I've seen criticism from
I don’t see how that’s possible. This game’s graphics literally looks like Nintendo is making a game based on indie games based on the Zelda series. Also, it looks incredibly slow. And I realize that’s probably not fair since the original didn’t have the fastest walking speed either, but the widescreen zoomed out look certainly doesn’t help it.
I personally never got into the Zelda series, but so many people are talking it up

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I've hated them all aside from Links awakening.
I don't know why so many people say Ocarina of time is the best game of all time... FUCK OFF, it's bland boring and dull.
No one has hated the series more than me, never understood ANY of the hype around it. But breath of the wild is very good. Sure the way the story comes together and ends and some of the grind quests are a little lacking.. But a nice world I just keep coming back to and you can smash through the game in an hour, or sink so much time it's insane.

I'm on my third playthrough of it now, and thought I was close to seeing everything it had to offer after the second time.. NOPE.
I'm no where NEAR 100% (just the korok seeds alone will take a billion hours) but I've done almost the lot (main quests, side quests, shrines, and exploring are all done, just the final fight and It's done) and only looked up what to do three times. Which for a game of this size is pretty good considering usually I'd just give up out of boredom.

I can see why fans of older Zelda games might not like BOTW's direction though.. it's actaully a good game lol.
and I can see why RPG fans wouldn't like it as well.
I'm not sucking the games dick, there are some problems with it. But it's enjoyable enough for what it is.

I am saddened they're potentially fucking up links awakening though. It was a portable benchmark.. you forgot you were playing on a 3 inch screen in black and green, and had a really good time with a nice story attached, exploring and fighting shit!

If links awakening and BOTW were home console games, they'd be shit, but the fact both are portable makes them great.
(Never even used my switch on the TV lol)
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

melancholy wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:32 am
To be clear, I’m referring to Triforce Heroes, Link Between Worlds and Breath of the Wild.
The portable Zelda games have been crap since the Minish Cap, aside from A Link Between Worlds. That was a great update to the classic Zelda setup, especially with the new item system. The only downside is if you have played Link to the Past, because LBW borrows so much from that game.

In Breath of the Wild, Link's walking speed is irrelevant once you unlock the glider, horses and fast travel within the first few hours.

We're going to have a Zelda bitching session without mentioning the most egregious game of the series?