Calavera's Goodwill/Flea Market Finds 2: Resurrection

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: Calavera's Goodwill/Flea Market Finds 2: Resurrection

Post by Bandit »

I'm serious you need to be hunting down VHS tapes and VCRs and selling them online. But don't wait because the trend won't last forever. Like cassettes were cool a few years ago (god knows why) and now nobody talks about them anymore. So soon those people will probably move on to thinking old DVD players are cool. Or maybe ironically watch DVDs on PS2s like it's 2001 again. Who knows with hipsters.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:18 pm It's amazing the batteries haven't leaked and corroded the calculator.
Very amazing, usually after just a few years you see that happen. I guess Duracell in the early 90s were high quality batteries :orazz:
Bandit wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:28 pm I'm serious you need to be hunting down VHS tapes and VCRs and selling them online. But don't wait because the trend won't last forever. Like cassettes were cool a few years ago (god knows why) and now nobody talks about them anymore. So soon those people will probably move on to thinking old DVD players are cool. Or maybe ironically watch DVDs on PS2s like it's 2001 again. Who knows with hipsters.
I've got several VCRs, I've actually got a few of them listed on Ebay right now. As far as the tapes though, I've got a ton of them as I used to have a setup out in the pole barn and would watch VHS movies out there. I don't see them ever being worth very much except for the rare ones. Just think how many copies of each movie there is out there. A popular movie from the time like Speed probably had millions of copies. Thrift stores are still packed full of VHS tapes that they can't get rid of. There are still a lot of people who have all their VHS movies from back in the day, they just put them in a box in the closet or something. The magnetic tape will become blank long before the tapes become rare. But if that happens you could simply record the movie back onto the tape from a DVD or other source. I've thought about that with cassettes before. Say I have a rare tape but the audio has degraded severely from the tape being so old. What if I was to just re-record the same music back onto the original tape from a PC? Most people would never know the difference but it wouldn't be original.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Any pre certificate VHS is usually worth a little, same with certain Horror movies. A lot didn't make it onto DVD and/or were edited due to the content. As for VCRs, any high end ones like S-VHS are most sought after. Usually the 90s manufactured VCRs. The latter produced ones aren't as high quality. But yea, any VHS not available on DVD is worth something I think. If you come across any old wrestling VHS in the clamshell cases there was a market for them. Although some are available on the WWE Network so their value might have decreased abit.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

You should tweet that to Duracell, maybe you could get some free promotional merch for proving just how long their batteries last.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

melancholy wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:47 pm You should tweet that to Duracell, maybe you could get some free promotional merch for proving just how long their batteries last.
Ha ha maybe I'll do that just to see if they reply. :olol:

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Got back from Goodwill. They had two bins completely filled with unused generic SNES USB controllers for $2 apiece. Like at least 30 controllers. I have no idea how they would end up here, but I bought two of them for my Recalbox.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

melancholy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:36 am Got back from Goodwill. They had two bins completely filled with unused generic SNES USB controllers for $2 apiece. Like at least 30 controllers. I have no idea how they would end up here, but I bought two of them for my Recalbox.
Not bad, I wouldn't mind getting 1 or 2 of those for emulation. Even though I know I'd still just use the 360 controller 90 percent of the time I was using SNES emulation. :olol: I've still got an old adapter that I bought way back in the day, probably around 2002 or so. It is a USB adapter that allows you to use Sega Dreamcast, Sega Saturn and Playstation controllers on the PC. Back when I first bought it I was excited to be able to use the Dreamcast controller on the PC. Before the Xbox controller S USB mod and the 360 controller I didn't really have any good PC gamepads. I believe at the time I was using an Adaptoid to use a N64 controller on the PC. I remember playing Mafia back in the day and using the keyboard and mouse for the on-foot parts then switching to the N64 controller for driving so I could have analog steering. :ocool: Anyways to get back on track. When I got it and plugged in a DC controller I was very dissapointed. There is some issue that causes the DC analog stick to be very inaccurate, to the point it is unusable. It is a known problem with those adapters I found after I purchased it. Since the DC controller didn't work right the only useful function for me was for Sega Saturn controllers. Which I still use it for to this day. I still have a couple of original Saturn controllers laying around and they are great for emulation on most retro systems other than the SNES.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now after that needlessly long story about a controller adapter I can bring you some updates. I don't post every single item I get anymore but here are a few from recently that you might have some interest in.

One goodwill had 3 old Davidson edutainment games from the late 80s. All 3 are complete in box and were just $3 a piece, so of course I got all 3. The 3 games are Alge-Blaster Plus!, Math Blaster Plus! and Word Attack Plus! Spanish.

These are pretty cool but I don't have much interest in keeping them. I prefer to keep games in my old PC collection that I may actually pop into an old PC and play. So I've looked around for prices on these games but the only thing I can find is the Apple II version. On Ebay in both the current and completed listings each of these games only have the Apple II version. I did find one IBM version of Alge-Blaster but it was still sealed and they were asking around $100 for it. I wonder if the IBM versions are more rare? I'd imagine these games were popular with schools and most schools back then primarily used Apple computers. I'd like to know an average price to expect before I list them. It looks like the Apple versions go for around $20 so I'd think the IBM versions would be a bit more than that since they appear to be more rare. Maybe I'll just throw one up for auction and start it at $25 or so. I rarely list items as auctions anymore. I know when I'm looking for an item on Ebay I'd much rather just click buy it now then wait 7 days for an auction to end only to find out I was outbid by $2 in the last 20 seconds.

I also picked up a couple of boomboxes here lately. They were both good models and pretty cheap so I couldn't pass them up. Even though I have many many others. I guess I'm a bit of a boombox hoarder! :ocool:

The first one is a Sony CFD-606. I didn't take a picture of it so this is just a picture of the same model from google images.

The price on this one was around $9 ($9.36 I think). It came with the original remote control and just the remote alone sells for around $10-$15. A feature I think is pretty cool on this one is that it has a 6-disc CD changer. This is the only boombox I have that has a built in CD changer. It is also the first boombox I've come across with a tray loading CD player. I suppose the tray loading is a necessity in order to have a 6 disc changer. I've tested the CD player out and it seems to work just fine. I'm not sure what year it is from. I know it is sometime in the 90s, if I had to guess I 'd say around 1995. The bad news is that the tape deck doesn't work. I can hear the motor running but it seems the belts have failed sometime in the last 24 years or so. I will more than likely replace the belts if isn't too difficult to get access inside to replace them.

Now we have boombox number two. An Aiwa CA-DW635. I did happen to take a picture of this when I had it hooked up out in the barn messing around with it.

This one is a little newer then I'd usually go, but the price was decent (around $12) and I just liked the look of it. Another plus is that both the cassette decks work great! Hopefully those belts hold up for many more years to come. This one is easy to put a year on because it has a date of manufacture sticker right on the back. January 1999. Being from that time I'm surprised it doesn't have some sort of Y2K complaint sticker on it! :olol: Like the Sony this one also has a tray loading CD player but no CD changer. Funny how I'd never seen a tray loading boombox before and now I found two only about a week apart. The only problem this one has is with the CD player, it randomly skips sometimes. I put a CD in and just let it play and it seemed to skip less as time went on. Hopefully the problem is just the laser needs cleaning. If not then maybe it has a screw on it to adjust the power similar to the Dreamcast laser. Although I know that is only a temporary fix. The AM/FM tuner on both of them work perfectly fine and both sound pretty good. The Aiwa has a button to enable Q-Surround. It does certainly sound different with that enabled but I'm not really sure if I'd say it is better than just normal stereo. I've got a couple of boomboxes from the 80s with a similar thing called ambience. I wonder if many people ever used those settings or if it was just a gimmick? In the end I got two decent boomboxes to add to my ever growning boombox hoard for around $20. I say I hoard them but every one of them is for sale. I just haven't put any on Ebay as they are difficult to ship and unless they are worth fairly big money it isn't worth the hassle. Speaking of hassle.......

We move on to the final item I thought I'd post here. Some of you may remember that back in the early DCemulation days that I was a fan of Knight Rider. Some might say I was quite obsessed with it. I haven't watched the show in years but I haven't forgotten it. Which is why I had to pick this up when I saw it in the case at goodwill.

I somehow never even knew this existed. I used to be huge into Knight Rider so I'm really surprised that I had never heard of this before. The box is a little worn as you can see but everything is included and the cards are in excellent condition. I paid a little more then I would have liked to. It was $10 but I just couldn't pass it up. Looking online it is worth at least that much so fortunately I didn't overpay. I've noticed something odd about this particular deck though. The game should have 108 cards included, mine has 109. The included instructions list how many of each card you should have. So I went through them all to see what was up. It seems that even though I have an extra card there is still one card missing. There should be 4 cards that say Start on them but I only have 3. The cards mainly consist of sections of road that you build together as you play. There are two road types where I have 16/15 cards. I truly believe this was a mistake from the factory. Why would the original owner of the deck lose a start card but then somehow add 2 extra road cards from another deck they somehow got their hands on but not replace the missing start card?

That is my update for now. Three old PC games, two boomboxes, a Knight Rider card game and a whole lotta text. If you actually read my entire post and made it this far then thanks! I hope it was interesting to you.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Calavera wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:11 pm The price on this one was around $9 ($9.36 I think). It came with the original remote control and just the remote alone sells for around $10-$15. A feature I think is pretty cool on this one is that it has a 6-disc CD changer. This is the only boombox I have that has a built in CD changer. It is also the first boombox I've come across with a tray loading CD player. I suppose the tray loading is a necessity in order to have a 6 disc changer. I've tested the CD player out and it seems to work just fine. I'm not sure what year it is from. I know it is sometime in the 90s, if I had to guess I 'd say around 1995. The bad news is that the tape deck doesn't work. I can hear the motor running but it seems the belts have failed sometime in the last 24 years or so. I will more than likely replace the belts if isn't too difficult to get access inside to replace them.
My very first boom box was a 5 disc changer that I got for Christmas of 1996. I also think it was a Sony. So your guess is probably not far off.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

If you actually read my entire post and made it this far then thanks! I hope it was interesting to you.
You're welcome :) and Yea I did find it interesting. Have you thought of doing like a YouTube channel about your Goodwill/Thrift finds?.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Have you thought of doing like a YouTube channel about your Goodwill/Thrift finds?.
I've thought about it and not much more. I've got enough items to give me years worth of videos if I did decide to do it though. :olol:

I had another post all typed out a few days ago but must not have hit submit! Oh well I'll just give a quick rundown of those items in that lost post.

A Phillips CDR-778 Audio CD Recorder ($9)

I had actually never seen one of these before I found this one. I didn't even really know they existed. It has two drives, one for playback and one for recording. You can put a disc in the playback drive then copy it onto a blank CD-R in the record drive. Or you can hook up any other audio source you may have with RCA audio connectors and burn that to a CD. So in the early days of burning CDs it could have been a useful device for copying cassettes and records onto CD. Although this particular model has a manufacture date of April 2002, so even in 2002 you could have easily recorded you cassettes and records onto a PC and burnt them from there for cheaper. Plus had a drive that could also be used for data files.

This won't record onto just any CD-R. It has to be one of the specifically labeled Audio CD-Rs. I never knew the point of those Audio CD-Rs until now. I figured it was just a way to get people who didn't know any better to buy them at a higher price then standard CD-Rs. And really that probably happened quite a bit. In the early days people who wanted to burn music CDs on their computer probably thought they needed Audio CD-Rs when we all know any old CD-R will work in a PC drive. Audio CD-Rs were specifically made for devices like these. From what I gathered Audio CD-Rs were more because the RIAA got a percentage of each sale. Apparently there is a certain code the deck looks for that is only present on an Audio CD-R.

Anyways this cost me around $9 and it works perfectly. I copied an old Ace of Base CD and it worked with no problem. It has a high speed mode where it only takes half the length of the CD to copy. So if your CD has a length of 40 minutes it will take 20 minutes to copy in fast mode. Kind of like high-speed dubbing for CDs.

Up next is a Superdisk 120MB disk drive. (<$5)

I actually have a brand new 120MB Superdisk laying around somewhere. There was one at Goodwill several years ago and I picked it up just because it was something I had never heard of. Luckily this came with a disk so I don't have to go searching for that one. It was $3 and came with the drive, a disk and the AC adapter. The parallel cable was $0.99 for a brand new one. I just tested it out today on an old Compaq 500mhz Celeron running Windows ME I had laying around. I was interested to see what was on the disk. I got the drive hooked up and installed the drivers. It showed up in My Computer as Superdisk L: I clicked on it and......the disk was blank :dontknow"

I wrote some files to it to make sure everything was working ok and it seems to be working with no problems. I think this is the first time I've ever had to install a parallel port drive. The only parallel device we had back in the day was the Disney Sound Source. Besides that it was only printers, never had any kind of external parallel drive. Not much use for it but I think it is a pretty cool device with it being not all that well known, and for less than $5 it is a great addition to my old PC stuff. There are some expensive ones listed on Ebay but for ones actually sold a non-boxed looks like it goes for around $30. If I can get $50 or more I'll sell it but for only $30 I'll hang onto it for now.

The last item for this post is a Sony Mavica MVF-FD100 Floppy Disk/Sony Memorystick Digital Camera. ($5)

I now have 4 Sony Mavica cameras total. :ocool: Two of them are earlier models that only take floppy disks and are black instead of silver. I'm not sure of the model numbers without getting them out. 1 of them powers on but has some sort of error that won't allow it to take pictures and the other one works great. The third one I have is the same model as this one and powers on and takes pictures but they come out horribly blurry. This newest one I bought powers on and takes pictures and video just great! The pictures are actually pretty decent quality.

I had a Kodak DC215 digital camera back in the day and I'd say this takes just as good pictures as that did. The Kodak used a compact flash card, it came with a 4MB card that could hold 12 pictures at the highest quality. :whoa: And the pictures had to be transferred to the PC using the serial cable. The Mavica can hold 6 pictures at the highest quality 1280x960 setting on one floppy disk. It can hold around 50 seconds of video but the video quality is absolutely terrible. It is 116x112 with no sound. That is odd because on the older model it could hold maybe 5-10 seconds total video but it was decent quality with sound. I didn't see a setting to increase the video quality on this one but maybe I missed it.

This particular model of Mavica is just one below the most high-end Mavica they made. This one can use floppy disks or a sony memory stick and is 1MP. The highest end model is exactly the same except that it is 2MP. The DC215 I mentioned is also 1MP. I still have it so maybe I'll take a picture of the same thing with each camera and see which one produces the best quality. If you are interested in seeing the quality of the Mavica FD-100 here is a picture I took earlier. This was before I realized how to turn the date stamp off :olol:

For a digital camera from 2002 that used cheap floppy disks for storage I think the quality is pretty decent.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

That picture does look nice. Good quality.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I had a Kodak DC215 digital camera back in the day
I swear, everyone owned that camera at some point back during its prime. Whenever I talk about old digital cameras with people, this one always comes up. Which is weird considering how expensive they were. I remember paying $200 for mine.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Haven't updated with any sales in quite a while. Here are 2 from my recent posts.

The 3 Davidson Blaster games. All 3 purchased by one person for $18 apiece plus $18 shipping.
Total with shipping $72
Total without shipping $54

The Phillips CD-R 778 Audio CD Recorder. $68.95+$31.05 shipping Total with shipping $100

darc
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by darc »

Calavera wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:11 pmOne goodwill had 3 old Davidson edutainment games from the late 80s. All 3 are complete in box and were just $3 a piece, so of course I got all 3. The 3 games are Alge-Blaster Plus!, Math Blaster Plus! and Word Attack Plus! Spanish.
Word Attack Plus! Yes! In my elementary school gifted classes, when we'd finish our work we'd be able to use the computer lab we had to play Word Attack Plus, I used to love that game! The English version, though, haha.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

darc wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:30 am
Calavera wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:11 pmOne goodwill had 3 old Davidson edutainment games from the late 80s. All 3 are complete in box and were just $3 a piece, so of course I got all 3. The 3 games are Alge-Blaster Plus!, Math Blaster Plus! and Word Attack Plus! Spanish.
Word Attack Plus! Yes! In my elementary school gifted classes, when we'd finish our work we'd be able to use the computer lab we had to play Word Attack Plus, I used to love that game! The English version, though, haha.
I don't remember many edutainment games from elementary school. In 1st and 2nd grade there was an old Apple II in the classroom but I don't recall using it much. Our computer lab was full of AppleII GS machines. We learned typing on a program called "Paw's Party" which I've never been able to find much info on. Besides that we had KidPix,Carmen Sandiego and Mario Teaches Typing. What was stupid was that we were only allowed to play Mario Teaches Typing if we finished our lessons on the boring ass Paw's Party. I mostly messed around with KidPix as I never found Carmen Sandiego to be much fun.

Looking back it is such a shame that no schools ever used The Typing of the Dead. We would have learned so much better and faster. We would have had a reason to want to improve, to see what the next level was. Sega really should have made other typing games. I'm sure they could have come up with something awesome that schools would approve of.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Picked up a couple of old Trackball mice.

The Mouse Systems PC Trackball (Model TB-305) and a Logitech Trackman Vista

I paid $3 each for them. They aren't worth a lot around $15-$20 each but a trackball is my favorite kind of mouse and it was cool to find 2 older ones in the box. I'm not sure of the exact year but the Logitech has to be somewhere from late 1996 to early 1998 since it mentions Office 97 but still only mentions Windows 95. The Mouse Systems one I'm guessing from the mid 80s, probably around 1985. One the front of the box it mentions the IBM PC,XT and AT. The original IBM came out in 1981. The AT in 1983 and the XT in 1984. They were discontinued in 1987 which is why I'd guess 1985.

They really had no idea how to design a trackball back in 1985, I have no idea how you are supposed to properly use this thing. There seems to be no good way to hold it. I guess they expected you to roll the ball however you wanted then remove your hand from the ball anytime you needed to press a mouse button.

The Logitech is much better but still wasn't perfect. The way I hold it is my thumb resting on the left button, my index finger to move the trackball then my middle and ring finger on the left and right mouse buttons. It doesn't have a scroll wheel but I'm guessing the left button can be used as same function as when you click down on the scroll wheel on a modern mouse then you use the trackball to scroll. It is usable but I think I'll stick with my Logitech M570. :osmile:

I've recently been messing around with an old Compaq computer from 1999. Maybe I'll use the Trackman Vista with that. The Mouse Systems one I'll probably just add to my collection since it is still in the box. Nowadays it seems better used as a decoration then an actual mouse. :olol:

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

I usually don't really ever buy DVD players. I'll pick up a nice DVD recorder but a player I have no interest in. That is until I came across an interesting looking one the other day. The Vocopro DVG-480K Multi Format Digital Key Control Karaoke Player.

So at first glance the interesting part is that it also acts as a karaoke machine. I've personally never seen a DVD player with karaoke functionality built-in. They probably exist but I don't recall ever seeing one for sale back in the day. So that is all well and good, a DVD player that does karaoke. Interesting but not all that exciting. What I found more interesting was the outputs it has on the back.

All the standards, RCA,S-video,Component but in addition it also has VGA and SCART. This is the first item I've ever seen in person a device with a SCART output. I know in Europe it was very common but it is non-existent in the US. As far as I know no consumer TVs ever included a SCART input in the US. This is an NTSC machine so the inclusion of the SCART output is very unique. I've only tested the machine so far with the VGA output on an old Dell 17" CRT monitor. It worked fine and the video was good quality. It outputs VGA at 640x480 so while it looks good on the old Dell CRT hooking it to a modern LCD via the VGA input probably won't look as great. Although I do plan to try that out. It is too bad it doesn't have a 3.5mm output for audio. Then you could hook it up to your PC monitor and speakers, although I realize that isn't the purpose for the VGA output.

The only one I can find for sale anywhere is one auction on Ebay. It is a new open box and they are asking $125 shipped for it. I don't think they will ever sell it for that much though. I paid $10 for it which honestly is more than I usually like to pay for things like this but it was unique and I'm sure I can get more than $10 for it.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

The scart could be for the Japanese market maybe?

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Big Boss Man wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:07 am The scart could be for the Japanese market maybe?
Could be, I thought SCART was a European thing only but I looked it up and apparently there are two kinds of SCART. EuroSCART and JP21. So yeah it is more than likely a JP21 style port.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

How about this? 50 sticks of "1GB DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz CL5 240pin Hynix HYMP112U64CP8-S6" ram!

I can already hear a lot of you saying "Why?! Why would he buy this? Who needs 50 1GB sticks of DDR2?" Well let me explain. I only really needed 3 sticks of 1GB DDR2. While looking on Ebay for some I came across an auction of these 50. The auction was at something like $10. So I bid around $25 on it thinking there was no way I would win it for that much as that would only be 50 cents per stick. I check ebay a few days later to see I've won the auction for $20.50. Damn, I didn't really want 50 of these! I looked around and saw many other sales of the exact same ram for around $5-$10 per stick. So I figure I'll keep a few of them for when I come across an old PC that either has no ram or could use a little more and sell the other 40 individually. Even if I sold them for $2 per stick I'd only have to sell 10 of them to get my money back. So while I originally didn't want 50 of them 41 cents apiece is a pretty good deal.