WWE Thread (Spoilers)

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

WWE Thread (Spoilers)

Post by Big Boss Man »

The WWF...(whoops)E...what the world is watching~!...

We're now on the Road to WrestleMania and yet nothing's really clicking, most of the roster's on the inactive list and the only angle which I'm intrigued by is Shane O'Mac vs Taker. Could this be on track to be the worse Mania ever, or could they pull out all the stops and turn it around?.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Re: WWE Thread (Spoilers)

Post by Ocelot »

Dean/Brock would be good if they'd let them go straight up megabrawl, but they won't and it'll be a letdown. I am not feeling Wrestlemania at all this year.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

-- Tonight at MSG, in a tag team match featuring HHH and Sheamus vs Reigns and Ambrose, HHH was welcomed with a major pop, while Reigns came out to a mix bag, and apparently the boos got heavier for him during the match. Reigns and Ambrose however did pick up the victory.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

-- Just last week on March 17th WWE confirmed that The New Day vs. The League of Nations at WrestleMania 32 would be for The New Day's WWE Tag Team Titles. They have deleted the tweet making the title match official.

The official match preview on WWE's website no longer mentions the titles being on the line and is now billing the match as a "Battle for Supremacy" between the two teams. The match will still be a Handicap Match with Big E, Kofi Kingston and Xavier Woods vs. King Barrett, Rusev, Sheamus and Alberto Del Rio.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Ocelot wrote:Dean/Brock would be good if they'd let them go straight up megabrawl, but they won't and it'll be a letdown. I am not feeling Wrestlemania at all this year.
Yea, I actually forgot about the Deano/Brock match. Probably for the reasons you've mentioned, because it'll just fall flat. Unless they have them go all out and smash the hell out of each other and have Ambrose do some wacky stunts stuff but as it's PG they have limited options. Plus they've probably save the wacky highspots for the Shane O'Mac/Taker match. If Shane doesn't jump off the Hell in the Cell or of some form of the staging I'll be surprised.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Joan Lunden to receive 2016 Warrior Award at 2016 WWE Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
Joan Lunden, an award-winning journalist, best-selling author and breast cancer survivor, has been named the recipient of the second annual Warrior Award, which will be presented at the 2016 WWE Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony on Saturday, April 2 from American Airlines Center in Dallas, live on WWE Network at 8 ET/5 PT. The announcement was made by WWE Superstar John Cena on NBC's "TODAY."

The Warrior Award is given to someone who has exhibited unwavering strength and perseverance, and who lives life with the courage and compassion that embodies the indomitable spirit of WWE Hall of Famer The Ultimate Warrior. The award will be presented to Lunden by The Ultimate Warrior's widow, Dana Warrior. In June 2014, Lunden was diagnosed with triple-negative breast cancer, which required chemotherapy, surgery and radiation. Lunden made the decision to take her battle public and has since shared her journey through cancer treatment, becoming a prominent voice in the breast cancer community.

"It is truly humbling to be honored by WWE and receive this year's Warrior Award at the 2016 WWE Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony," Lunden said. "After being diagnosed with cancer, my first thought was to survive, but soon after, I changed my focus from my cancer to the fight against cancer and my life took on a whole new purpose. WWE has welcomed me into their family, offering me warmth and support, as have so many of the WWE fans from around the world. It is a privilege to receive this honor."

"On behalf of my family, we are proud to present this year's Warrior Award to Joan Lunden," said Dana Warrior. "Joan embodies all that this award was meant to capture. She is a testament to the strength of the human spirit and the quintessential Warrior woman. It will be an honor to recognize her at this year's WWE Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony."

"Joan Lunden has been an incredible role model to so many people and it is an honor to recognize her as the second annual Warrior Award recipient," said Stephanie McMahon, WWE Chief Brand Officer. "The will and perseverance she gracefully displayed in her fight against breast cancer is an inspiration to millions of women around the world."

An eternal optimist, Lunden decided to turn her diagnosis into an opportunity to inspire others in the breast cancer community. Through her website, JoanLunden.com, and her social media channels, Lunden has created an online community dedicated to people living with and surviving from breast cancer. From her consistent journaling throughout her breast cancer treatment, Lunden wrote her most recent book, "Had I Known: A Memoir of Survival," which documents her battle with cancer and provides a reflective look back at her life and career. Lunden continues to be an advocate for those diagnosed with the disease, making trips to Capitol Hill, and as a special correspondent for "TODAY's" Pink Power series.

Last year, the Warrior Award was presented for the first time ever to Connor Michalek, a Pittsburgh native and passionate WWE fan who passed away from cancer. In his honor, Connor's Cure was created as a fund within Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh Foundation to support pediatric brain and spinal cord cancer research. To date, Connor's Cure has raised $1 million and assisted more than 100 families around the world.

The 2016 WWE Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony airs live on the eve of WrestleMania, Saturday, April 2, at 8 ET/5 PT, only on WWE Network.
Not many people remember she had breast cancer. They know she does ads about how to put your parents in nursing homes every other commercial break and think Stephanie is sending a message to Vince.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

According to the talkSPORT podcast, London-based PROGRESS Wrestling will host two qualifying matches for the WWE Global Cruiserweight Series.

The matches will take place on April 24th at a PROGRESS live event in London. No word yet on who will be in the matches.

As noted, WWE NXT General Manager William Regal revealed at a recent EVOLVE show that they will also host qualifying matches for the tournament.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

There seems to be some rumour about a big scandal that could become news soon. It might have something to do with somebody called Randall, but then again it might not.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

What a disaster go home show.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

They have made me completely not care about Wrestlemania, even Taker/Shane. I am completely apathetic about this show for the first time in decades. I probably won't even bother watching it on the network - I'll just wait and catch whatever few highlights there are - if any - on the replay.

Good job, WWE. That is some TNA-level booking right there.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

-- According to Dave Meltzer of Wrestling Observer Radio, WWE apparently thinks the NXT crowds think differently than the main roster WWE crowds, and officials were expecting Eva Marie to get a positive reaction last night on Raw from fans at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

Marie has been consistently booed by the live crowds during her time in NXT, but last night on Raw officials were expecting a different reaction from the Brooklyn crowd when Marie returned to Raw to team up with Team Total Divas.

“How do you not figure this one out?,” Meltzer asked. “That was an easy one.”

-- Its been reported that Vince loves Strowman’s look and presence. However, he also feels that Strowman is lacking in the wrestling department. While the company will continue to protect his character, his in-ring work is currently hindering him from being put in a top-level position at this time.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Ocelot wrote:They have made me completely not care about Wrestlemania, even Taker/Shane. I am completely apathetic about this show for the first time in decades. I probably won't even bother watching it on the network - I'll just wait and catch whatever few highlights there are - if any - on the replay.

Good job, WWE. That is some TNA-level booking right there.
We're going to see what would have happened in 1994 if the ending of Mania 10 was Crush winning the title (which Vince considered in December '93 before coming to his senses.) Except Crush was more over.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

The only way they can salvage WrestleMania is if they let Hunter go over and Roman wins the fans respect by putting on a great match, then you put the belt on him down the line when the fans want him to be champ, but that's unlikely to happen. Outside of Reigns there's no one really on the card who are ready for the #1 spot yet. Even if Cena comes back and he beats HHH then people would boo him out of the arena too. What WWE are doing is almost anti-booking, they have some talented wrestlers on their roster yet they don't know what to do with them. If they fast tracked Styles to the belt they'd be a ton of critics, Ambrose would be hit & miss. I like Dean but he's too outside of the cookie-cutter WWE champion mold for them to do anything with. Kinda like a D-Bry 2.0 type. They might bring Seth Rollins back but again I think he was the lowest drawing champ since Big Kev so really outside of Cena & Hunter you don't really have anyone on the roster who's at the level where they have the credibility and the charisma to draw. Yea the PPV buyrate aspect is kinda a moot point now but you still need talent who sell tickets, merchandise, get fans to tune in etc. and above all - connect with the audience. Which is why Roman Reigns is falling flat, they feed him cheezy lines - tater tots for example, they make him then cut promo's when he's not the greatest talker, he has that cheezy grin, he's like a Cena 2.0. They should have him with a manager, or maybe have him with Dean & have Ambrose do most of the talking and have Reigns be the silent bad-ass.

But going back to what they should do right now with the belt, maybe if they put it back on Brock but he's a very one-dimensional character he just smashes thru the opposition and you can only see that a few times before it gets old quickly. But again he's on a short term deal, Hunter's management really so he can't keep carrying the ball, Reigns isn't no where near ready in actuality, Rollins fell flat, Bryan's out of the equation, Ryback's over to a certain extent but I'd imagine he'd be crapped on if they put the belt on him. Jericho - he's not really in a position to be seen as credible right now, Styles - not ready yet and I'd imagine he'll be a midcarder, Ambrose - maybe, for a certain term Mankind type pop but long term - nope. Kane - nope, Show - nope, Henry - nope, the Wyatt boys - nope, Taker - I'd imagine he'll retire in the next year or so, maybe even at this WrestleMania, The New Day guys - nope, Dolph - nope, Owens - nope, Social outcast crew - nope, Sheamus - probably, Rusev - that time's been & gone I think when he was getting over as a heel with Lana they could have put the belt on him then, Wade - nope, Del Rio - I'm guessing he might have a title reign written in his new WWE deal so it could happen down the line. Zayn, Lucha Dragons, Neville, Ascension guys - nope. So yea it's really thin on the grounds who they'll pass the title too next. They desperately need a new star making machine and NXT might be the IWC's favorite no one has really broke out and become a star out of NXT...yet. Even the lower card WWF guys were more over than most of the talent they have now.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

If WWE let guys come up with their own stuff, the main event next year would be Rusev vs. Big E. Because on Twitter they're the two guys who clearly get how to be over as a pro wrestler. The match would be the shits by Mania standards, but the crowd would absolutely love them. Rusev somehow absolutely knows how to be a great heel despite being held down forever. He doesn't even need Lana, because he's written some of the best heel lines to people saying they like him I've seen in 15 years. And Big E comes off like the cool funny dude you want to hang out with. He could be funny and not be a cornball unlike Cena. And they're both freakishly muscular (especially Rusev, who standing next to Rock made him look like Gillberg his arms are so freakish), so there's no excuse from Vince the Size Queen not to push them.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

If someone ever gets over on their own accord they put the brakes on almost immediately which is why although Big E has a big personality & is charismatic he's shoe-horned in with the other New Day as almost an afterthought. They have took a wacky gimmick and managed to run with it where the odds were stacked against them that they'd be curtain jerkers/job guys. That was I'm assuming the original intention when they didn't originally get over.

If they ran with Rusev still with the Russian gimmick you could have gone with an old school Russia vs USA angle. I wonder whether they went with Big E as a Hogan-esque character whether that would work?. I mean not go OTT with the Lex Express type patriotism, but have him as the guy who stands up for the USA and goes up against the bad guys. I mean, it couldn't be any worse than what they are doing now. I think the New Day schtick now means his future options are kinda limited in a sense that unless they turn him heel, or they step away from the OTTness of New Day he'll be saddled with a comedy gimmick forever. I'd like to see them go out in suits and cut a heel promo on the crowd saying they pandered to the crowd for cheers but now they are going to keep it real and be like a cool heel stable ala the original nWo.

But yea, they are too guys if they push them right and they build strong characters they might have some mileage. But again you'd need to change the fans mindsets a great deal for them to accept Big E as the #1 Babyface & Rusev as the #1 heel. I think it would be much easier for Rusev because you have more options being heel and you also get the fans who get behind the anti-hero. Nowadays the 'face is often seen as uncool and you need to be able to connect with the audience but there's a long record of those who were pushed to the moon but never really clicked - Ahmed, Bobby Lashley, Mark Henry to name a few. I don't think you can really teach charisma and being able to get the fans behind you, fan support is very fickle though and some fans get behind stuff just to be awkward and derail the product. I mean if they listened to the fanbase Mania's main event would have been the Woo Woo Kid Zack Ryder vs Fan-Dan-Go!.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Forgot to mention this the other day, it was kind of odd that Cole called Shane a young man. A 46yo lad with youthful grey hair. He does look young compared to UT though.

-- Say goodbye to WWE’s “Divas” division and the purple butterfly belt.

WWE finally caved and the decision has been made to rebrand Divas division as the Women’s division. The official announcement will be made on Monday’s WWE RAW from Dallas, the night after WrestleMania. The news was first reported by PWInsider and we’ve since verified it independently.

A new WWE Women’s Championship belt has already commissioned. From what we’ve been told, the new Women’s Championship bares a strong similarity to the WWE World Heavyweight championship belt – but it’s mounted on a white leather strap and is smaller.

Charlotte will defend her Divas Championship against Sasha Banks and Becky Lynch this Sunday. We’ll find out on Sunday night which of the three competitors will have the honor of retiring the Divas Championship and ushering in the new era of Women’s wrestling in WWE.

-- Some may have noticed a fresh gash on Ric Flair's forehead recently. Apparently Flair was filming for the upcoming ESPN "30 For 30" special on his life and career, and he bladed to show how it was done during a segment on all of his bloody matches.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

Flair is the most queer for the blade mofo in wrestling. He will gash his forehead open just for the hell of it. He will gash his forehead open at your child's birthday party. Dude does not care.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

WWE® NETWORK TO PREMIERE HOLY FOLEY THIS AUGUST
Docu-Series Produced by Trooper Entertainment in association with Lionsgate

STAMFORD, Conn., March 31, 2016 – WWE Network continues to add to its robust slate of original programming with the newly green-lit show, Holy Foley, which will offer viewers a comedic, behind-the-scenes look into the life of WWE Hall of Famer, husband and father Mick Foley and his unique relationship with his daughter Noelle. Produced by Trooper Entertainment in association with Lionsgate, this 10-episode, 30-minute family reality series is slated to premiere in August 2016.

"I am excited to give fans a behind-the-scenes look into the Foley family life," said Mick Foley. "Holy Foley will be filled with surprises, lots of drama and moments that will make you laugh out loud."

"It's an honor to be working with WWE Hall of Famer Mick Foley, and I'm very happy to be collaborating with WWE on this series," said Executive Producer Dave Caplan.

"As a leader in supplying premium content to digital platforms, we are very pleased to once again partner with WWE and bring this fun family series to WWE Network," said Jennifer O'Connell, Executive Vice President, Alternative Programming, Lionsgate Television. "Holy Foley is an exciting way to give the WWE Universe a unique behind-the-scenes look into the Foley family."

Show Synopsis:

At the Foley household on suburban Long Island, Mick Foley simply sees himself as a stand-up comedian and Santa-loving dad to his family of five, including wife Colette, sons Dewey, Mickey and Hughie, and daughter Noelle, with whom he shares a picture-perfect, father-daughter relationship.

However, unbeknownst to Mick, Noelle has decided she wants to follow in her father's footsteps, and has been secretly training to join WWE. Just when Mick thought he was out of the ring, Noelle is leading the charge to pull him back in.

As if Noelle's aspirations weren't enough, Dewey, Mick's oldest son, recently landed his dream job as a writer's assistant on the WWE creative team.

In Holy Foley, real-life antics and laugh-out-loud moments will unfold as cameras follow two generations of Foleys trying to make it in life – and at WWE.
Foley Knows Best. Just please don't have shots of him limping to the shower in a thong like VH1 had Hogan.

And who is going to be his Brian Knobbs comic relief? Al Snow? Mideon? Maxx Payne?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I am incredibly excited for Wrestlemania.

April Fools!