Mega SD - Flash Cart with Mega CD FPGA support

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Matisfaction
Global Mod

Mega SD - Flash Cart with Mega CD FPGA support

Post by Matisfaction »

https://shop.terraonion.com/en/products ... ridge.html

On a technical standpoint this is an amazing achievement. I find the prospect of future homebrew and hacks more exciting than the actual Mega CD library if I'm being honest. Not that it wouldn't be cool to play Mega CD games on this thing.

Pre Production cart in action. Stream highlights include the guy saying that the Mega CD library is one of the best ever, how much money he's spent maintaining his OG Mega CD, three people asking for 32X support and YouTube censoring "Android Assault" in the super chat.
I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Mega SD - Flash Cart with Mega CD FPGA support

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It's pricey but looks good. It's cool that it works with the Mega Sg & the Nomad.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I watched the MVG video on this yesterday, looks pretty cool but I'll never buy one

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

If you really, really want Mega-CD support, it's not as pricey as it sounds as you're getting essentially the equivalent of an Everdrive X7 (£120) with Mega CD support for an extra £100?

The Mega SD is also way more convenient and reliable than a real Mega CD that will at least set you back around £120 + constant maintenance (even the model 2s aren't that reliable).

Just depends on how attractive the Mega CD library is to the individual. 90% of the small library of games tend to be average ports or enhanced Mega Drive games.
I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

There's some good stuff for it (Dark Wizard, Shining Force CD, Popful Mail etc.) but because I never owned one I'm fine with emulation with it's games.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

It's definitely worth it, especially for preservation sake. It's too expensive for me because I also don't scoff at using an emulator. But as FPGA tech becomes more powerful, things like the Mega SD will go down in price and will have more features.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

If you don't already own a flash cart, you're potentially getting access to every MD, Mega-CD and Master System game. Which isn't bad at all really.
Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:49 am There's some good stuff for it (Dark Wizard, Shining Force CD, Popful Mail etc.)
I forgot about Shining Force CD, I sure a lot of people would pick up a Mega SD just to play that.

Also, if someone ever gets around to translating Cpt. Tsubasa into English, I think I'd probably have to pony up and get one.
I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »