New Japan/Puroresu Thread

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: New Japan/Puroresu Thread

Post by Big Boss Man »

I was watching some of the NJPW On the Road about Jay White and he started out in the NJ dojo. He also did the tasks the other trainees did too but I'm assuming the fans are more receptive to him, Juice, Dave Finlay et al who came up through the ranks and are respectful of traditions.

I think these videos were from 2014 so to become IWGP World Champion in 2018 is a big achievement. Gedo did hotshot book him, but that was out of necessity I think when Kenny left. If he has a good showing in the G1 that can open up opportunities for him again.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Brilliant match between Kota and Will. If they were 100% that match would have been even better. I'll check out the other matches too. Lance has been a big surprise during this G1 so far.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Meltzer has deemed this The Greatest Wrestling Tournament Of All Time. Funny how people never thought this could happen when Kenny left. I knew that people would step up. And Ospreay and Ishii did and then they signed KENTA and Moxley. And now Moxley had a 5 star match with Ishii and Ospreay and Okada deserve 6 stars as Ospreay is the new Omega.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

That's a huge accolade as we're only 7 days in so far of this year's G1. There was some murmurs of discontent among the fanbase when they fast tracked Jay, but the roster definitely has stepped up to the plate, not just the top guys, but everyone. I think Dave said Gedo will be in the WO HOF as booker and rightly so. He's done a tremendous job with New Japan. Yea Will Ospreay really has stepped in the position that Kenny vacated. I won't be surprised if he wins the G1 or at least challenges for the IWGP in the near future.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Apparently TV Asahi wanted Chris Charlton just to do translations but he's back as the third man in the booth now. I think he's good bringing up historical facts etc and I like the dynamic he, Rocky and Kevin have. That's what AEW should go for and just go to Alex Marvez for some historical info and/or stats.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Yes, they got lots of e-mail complaints after it was talked about on Wrestling Observer Radio so changed their mind in a day.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

NJPW G1 Climax 29

Day 18
B BLOCK -- Sunday, Aug. 11 -- Tokyo -- Nippon Budokan
Juice Robinson vs. Jon Moxley
Tomohiro Ishii vs. Taichi
Toru Yano vs. Jeff Cobb
Hirooki Goto vs. Shingo Takagi
Tetsuya Naito vs. Jay White

Day 19
- G1 Finals

FINALS -- Monday, Aug. 12 -- Tokyo -- Nippon Budokan
A Block winner vs. B Block winner
https://www.cbssports.com/wwe/news/njpw ... m-matches/

Official G1 website

https://www.g1climax.jp/en/

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Moxley had a great match with Takagi and he's over so big in Japan. Most fans were only vaguely familiar with Dean Ambrose since WWE isn't that popular in Japan. But he does the exact character they love from Americans and he hasn't had a bad match yet. I don't know how many dates he's going to be allowed to do but they'll absolutely want to keep him.

Naito and Ishii was also great. And they didn't even do anything crazy which surprised me because Ishii will take crazy top rope bumps like that top rope Razor's Edge right on his neck from Elgin last year that would have killed most men. But Ishii is a beast so he was wrestling the next day.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Spoiler
So Mox is undefeated thus far in the G1. If he's not full time does it make sense for him to win the B block and even the final?. As if I'm correct he is signed to AEW and NJ is more of a tour there. If they were working together, have him winning and using that to say I won the G1 too Kenny etc might be an interesting story dynamic where he wants to better him etc. So far I'm thinking a Mox v Okada final. But again, if there was a partnership you could go Ibushi/Mox and have him beat down Kota for Kenny to make the save.
Some classic NJ~!

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It's not something I'd do, but it's not a bad thing.

1) He's over huge so no one is complaining. He's not forced down their throats like a lot of gaijins were in the past under Inoki.

2) He's helping to get over Shota Umino, who they're expecting to be their Ace in the 2020's. They haven't had a "popular gaijin helps Young Lion" angle before so it's fresh.

3) He's set up big rematches when he comes back for big shows. You don't need to bring him back for an attack angle like Jericho has to. Just have Naito say he wants another match for Wrestle Kingdom.

4) When he is defeated it might be special. When Ibushi or Ospreay beats him the crowd may see it as defending New Japan. Or they may not because they like Moxley. We will see.

5) Jericho will probably win the AEW belt and become unavailable for some time since he can't lose. So this makes sure they have the big ex-WWE star for WK and Dominion to get new New Japan World subscribers.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Thanks. I was thinking more longterm with Mox going over everyone he's faced so far and being the US champ its like they are fast tracking him up the card but come October he likely is spending say 90% of the time with AEW so on NJs part if you're pushing a guy who isn't full time over your established talent it's questionable booking. Hes been great so far in the G1 and drawing a lot of non NJ fans to the product (which is clever business wise) but in the overall picture unless there's a big payoff it seems that they've wasted the push on a current full time talent who could be elevated in this years G1. Say they gave this push to say Juice or Lance that would make them be see as real credible contenders for the IWGP title. But I guess Gedo has a plan but this is reminiscent of Switchblades fast tracking where it set New Japan back somewhat as they were reeling after Kenny left and had to push him out of necessity.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Juice and Archer aren't at Moxley's level for drawing. Like I said they are looking at spiking international subscriptions for the big shows. Jericho and Omega did that, and since Kenny won't be back anytime soon and who knows about Jericho, but I'd be shocked if he was at Wrestle Kingdom. AEW doesn't have a good enough relationship with NJPW right now to risk their champion being hurt for their benefit. He's almost 50 so you have to be careful with him if you want him to perform in a big match.

But they think they can get Moxley 3 times a year. And in that time keep building Ospreay as Omega's replacement.

So they can have Moxley drop the title to Juice on his way out or even just lose to him in their G1 match to set up a rubber match. Or have Naito want revenge. Or run Okada vs Moxley at Dominion next June.

If Juice gets a win back then they did build him. And Archer is being used very well to be rebuilt from scratch since DBSJ is gone and he was the star of their team. Plus Juice is kind of restarting since he's serious now without the hippie gimmick talking about his Juice Babies and rizats in promos anymore.

And when you look at it, Juice is #2 in the B Block and Lance is tied with Ospreay. So it's set up to be good for everybody IMO. I don't doubt Gedo, everything he does makes sense in the end. He books like a good movie.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

No spoilers but Archer was made to look like a superstar heel by Okada. Okada was like Ric Flair in the 80s where he worked hard to make his opponent who isn't as good as he is look like a million bucks. So they're definitely going to do something with Lance Archer. He's still not a top level worker, but he's trying. So in a few months of him being put in bigger matches to learn a little more he could be very good and become a draw. Which, having followed his career since he was tagging with Kid Kash 15 years ago, is kind of surprising. But then again, Prince Albert once went to Japan and quickly became a top level heel. I didn't see that coming either.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Yano and Moxley was what it was. It's just tradition.

Taichi and White sucked because Taichi sucks.

I loved Juice and Naito. That was probably Juice's best match.

Ishii and Goto was also great as usual. Ishii just doesn't care at all about head bumps, he's crazy. But still Katsuyori Shibata needs to talk to him.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Speaking of Shibata, the LA Dojo New Japan doc is well worth checking out. The one on the NJPW English language YouTube has subtitles (where applicable).

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Night 17 today will feature the A Block final between Kota Ibushi and Kazuchika Okada. Kota has 12 points, Kazuchika has 14. B block is looking more neck and neck with Mox, Switchblade, Goto and Naito all on 10 points.

As Okada is current IWGP champion, logic suggests he doesn't need to win the G1 since he'll most likely be champion going into WrestleKingdom anyway, so I'm thinking Kota will win Block A.

Block B is tougher to predict, Mox maybe, it could tie in with his AEW storyline with Kenny if he beats Kota. They might be rebuilding Jay up again and have him win the G1 would cement his position as a top guy. Goto is an outside bet but out of the four I'm going with Naito so we see him against Kota in the finals. Then if Gedo and NJ are solidly behind Kota he's going to WK, otherwise it'll be Naito v Okada. Or and dependent on his NJPW commitments I wouldn't rule out Mox vs Okada which would definitely be a main event worthy of Wrestle Kingdom.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Spoiler
Kota beat Okada to win A Block

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The entire show was great. I don't know how the entire roster isn't severely injured, killing their bodies like this for a month. Everyone probably needs off until October at this point.