Gears Of War Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Gears Of War Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Gears of War 4’s Release Date Announced by Microsoft

If you were eager to know when Gears of War 4 will be released, the wait has now come to an end, as Microsoft and The Coalition announced that the game will launch worldwide on October 11th.

If you want to get a taste of the game early, the beta will begin on April 18th for anyone eligible for early access (you need to have played Gears of War: Ultimate Edition on either Xbox One or PC before April 11th). All Xbox Live Gold members will be able to play starting on April 25th and ending on May 1st.

If we wanted to be nitpicky, the official announcement doesn’t mention a platform. This may or may not mean that Windows 10 gamers might hold some hope of getting their hands on the game, but for now the game has been announced only for Xbox One, so we’ll have to wait for more info on this.

Source: Dualshockers

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Gears of War 4’s Release Date Announced by Microsoft

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Gears Of War Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

BIG DICK DAVE~!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Sinbad from The Board: How big is Batista's gun?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Games like this are why I don't understand the retro craze.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I enjoy both. SNES on Switch :boing:

This does look very nice though.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

YT description:

It's the real deal. This is an Epic-made build of Gears of War 3 for PS3. This build is dated May 19 2011, and is the only build of this ever located. As far as I know I'm also the only person with a working build of this particular data as well. I don't know why it exists, I dont know why it was made. All I can do is speculate.

This is distinctly different from the January 2011 build, as that build was rebuilt from source by an unknown party. As a result, theres 2 builds on PS3, one being unofficial (Jan 2011), the other being this one (May 19 2011). There's a lot of differences from final, as well as a lot of changes from the January data, but I'll skip over them for now.

Important notes

It's currently running on a PS3 Devkit. These have additional RAM that is available and without it you cannot play this.

RPCS3 is not fully able to play this either, but small parts can be loaded under specific conditions.

Splitscreen works, as does multiplayer with the right commands.

Network play is not available as far as I know, as it cannot connect to Xbox Live, nor can it connect to PSN. If it's able to connect with other systems, I cant test it.

Buttons still show Xbox 360 buttons, as well as tries to read storage like the Xbox 360, but if you select a profile it will softlock the system.

I'm keeping the fix for the data private.

No I wont share it.

How well does it run?

Performance wise, better than the unofficial build remade from source, but not free from flaws. Anya is the biggest performance loss during all of this due to her hair.

Control wise, it has the same issues as the unofficial build. Fully horizontal and vertical aiming movement is quite poor, so you must include slight offsets to your aiming, which in turn makes actually shooting things really difficult.

For levels playable, everything is playable outside of 2 specific cases. Convoy (Act 3 Chapter 3) is unplayable due to an unavoidable RSX exception.

Normally you could skip this by loading a specific checkpoint, but the checkpoint system is broken. In turn this leaves it impossible to play the level.

The other level is the finale, where the boss gets stuck on a scripting issue. It leaves the level impossible to finish, but is almost complete.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

This is a video retrospective and critique of the Gears of War franchise, from its initial trilogy on the Xbox 360 to the latest DLC for Gears 5. The video tries to use a lot of fancy words to get to heart of why these straightforward and simple games are so creatively fascinating. Spoilers throughout.