UK Politics Thread (Brexit)

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Matisfaction
Global Mod

Re: UK Politics Thread (Brexit)

Post by Matisfaction »

The SNP stance has never made much sense, really.. they want independence from the UK, but still want to be tied in with the EU.

They also want to keep the pound 🤔
I can't get no...

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

It comes across very weird when you think he's working his gimmick as the bumbling buffoon when in actuality he's cunning and calculated.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

:rofl:

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Parliament shut down for five weeks for the conference season as it usually does every year, yet people are losing their minds because it's been suspended for an extra four days... 🙄

Looks like Boris is trying to shove through a reheated version of May's shitty deal at the last minute. If it came to that or staying in on existing terms, then I think I'd rather tear up article 50.

It's only ever been about in or out, remainers have managed to completely muddy the waters with this half way house of a deal that was never really on in the first place. Parliament have wasted four years debating about something that we were never going to get. 👍
I can't get no...

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Matisfaction wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:00 pm
General Election inbound... Remain Tory MPs leaving for the Lib Dems weakens an already fragile majority held by the Conservatives + DUP.

Everybody wanting a "Peoples Vote", will have it in the form of a General Election, each party has a clear position now, even Labour (only took four years to decide 🙄).
I can't get no...

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

BoJo wants to call a "snap election" but Corbin and co are going to vote against it apparently unless No Deal Brexit is blocked

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... t-19316162

If I'm correct if Labour do get in they'll still have to deliver Brexit if I'm correct as the general public in the UK voted for it.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

The truth is that no one else has a plan, other than delaying Brexit. I guess at least BoJo was trying to do something proactive.

The Greens and Lib Dems have both said publicly that they wouldn't respect the result of a second referendum if people voted to leave, yet still call for one (what's the point?) and Labour STILL have no position, because they can't make their mind up, so we'll just keep getting more delays and extensions because nobody has the balls to commit to anything regarding leaving the EU.

So essentially, Parliament is going to be stuck in debate, while the pound continues to fall due to uncertainty in the economy caused by endless delays. Genius!

The longer this goes on, the more ammunition it gives to Farage and the Brexit party, what a depressing thought that is...
I can't get no...

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea all the seem to be doing is arguing with each other with nothing proactive actually being done. BoJo is saying the UK will be gone from the EU October 31st but it seems the wheels aren't even in motion and nothing's been set in stone. Jeremy Corbin is against a general election so they are just going around in circles. Just incompetence all around really. What a total fiasco this whole Brexit thing has been.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Big Boss Man wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:14 pmBoJo is saying the UK will be gone from the EU October 31st but it seems the wheels aren't even in motion and nothing's been set in stone.
Barnier offered May a free trade deal and she turned it down, the three deals that were voted down would have given more concessions to the EU.
This whole exercise over the last 3 years has been about remaining, now that no deal had been made illegal, we have nothing to negotiate with, so it's pointless.
Big Boss Man wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:14 pmeremy Corbin is against a general election so they are just going around in circles. Just incompetence all around really. What a total fiasco this whole Brexit thing has been.
Corbyn doesn't need a GE, he's already in power basically. They can spend forever just blocking everything.

The EU get to set the length of the extension, which could be years as we're legally bound to pay membership fees during this time.

We'd be better off just tearing up article 50 in my opinion.
I can't get no...

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

As immature as US politicians act, it still amuses me when I see the British Parliament act like they're the audience for The Steve Wilkos Show.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49580185

MPs have backed the bill in his first stage to stop the no deal Brexit. If it passes in full then BoJo will have to ask the EU for yet another extension. Why they don't call another referendum and let the public vote again I think some of the Leave voters might be swayed to remain if its true there will be food and medicine shortages. Say they call a GE and Jeremy Corbyn does get in as PM can he overule Brexit as it isn't in the countries best interests or does he have to concede to what the public have voted?. May invoked article 50 so to my knowledge they can't really turn around and not leave now though. I think really they should overrule the vote and say because the Brexit process has become so badly mismanaged its for the betterment of the country to stay in the EU and renegotiate certain terms if necessary.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Looking on from the outside, it seems like the conservatives had the perfect campaign in 2016 to whip up fervor and discontent about the EU. But three years of mulling it over has led to an emotionally draining debate and buyer's remorse. Polls aren't everything, but one outlet shows how much people stopped caring about immigration once Brexit was in full swing:

If two prime ministers and three years are enough to come up with a definitive vision for the UK, it's time to have another referendum and see if people want to end this craziness.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

A second referendum is pointless, especially as Parliament didn't respect the first vote. Imagine the shit storm if people vote to leave again. 😬

We'll end up with a general election.
I can't get no...

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

The government has said a bill to stop a no-deal Brexit will complete its passage through the Lords on Friday.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49588186

Interesting article from the FT looking at Europes viewpoint on Brexit and the UK leaving the EU

https://amp.ft.com/content/110207f2-cea ... 4456540ea6

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Warnie!

Bowled, Shane.