Wrestling questions thread

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: Wrestling questions thread

Post by Big Boss Man »

Could be. I think it's him indirectly saying to Vince that he's grabbed the brass ring with both hands and he's playing the company guy to appease him. He's been at Mox yet again but I doubt he even cares what Seth's saying. He's found a new lease of life with NJ and AEW and I think Seth's really salty about that. I found it amusing he's saying that the best wrestling in the world is in WWE when it's crystal clear that's in New Japan. WWE has a very talented roster of wrestlers but they don't even utilise them to their best abilities.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

You can't use wrestlers to their best abilities where you script how many punches they're gonna throw at 11:50 in the match and god forbid they throw one more or less because they might get heat with Vince or a writer or an agent or who knows. Seth Rollins is so much better than being a mouthpiece for Vince.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I agree Seth is better than parroting on how great WWE is. But he's been taking shots at Will Ospreay, Mox and saying fans are jealous of him and Becky if they are critical of the product. The buck stops with Vince so if he's serious about WWE being the best wrestling in the world how about he goes about getting in Vince's ear about changing things. The Kliq , especially Shawn seemed to dictate the pace, so maybe he could do the same but not selfishly but for the betterment of the product. If they were serious with the roster they have, a WWE G1 style tournament could be really cool too if they put their best talent in it and tear up the script and just let them go out and wrestle.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I was thinking, with AEW starting TV in October could they or WWE ever go back to the old formula were its name talent vs enhancement and one big match per show like they used to do on Wrestling Challenge, Superstars etc. It would keep talent fresh and made PPV matches more important and more must see.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Don't think so, but there's no reason why they couldn't have a 2 or 3 name talent vs enhancement talent matches per show to pad things out a bit.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It's a dead formula. Fans haven't had it for almost 25 years so they wouldn't watch a new promotion doing it. Plus TNA tried it in 2004 when they were on Fox Sports and it flopped.

What they can do is make Jobber To The Stars guys like Brandon Cutler, Nakazawa, The Librarian and others. But doing a "here's Johnny McJobber having 1 minute and 45 seconds with Cody before we pitch to a pre-tape of Shawn Spears and then Van Vliet pitching the next PPV" show is over. Full-on jobber squashes are reserved for a Strowman killer heel type once a show.

I used to think WWE could do it, but not with the new TV deals.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Thanks. I think if they signed like Brian Cage or Ryback and you put them up against 2 or 3 enhancement guys to showcase him that could do a lot in terms of character development without "feeding" them the higher echelon talent. But like you say Brandon, Mike Nakazawa and The Librarian can fill that role.

Ditching the old formula was more so out of necessity with WCW and WWF having to put marquee matches on up against each other. Majority of TV wrestling was built on name talent vs enhancement for years. I do think like Zoidy says it would pad the show out and also be something different if they did a match or two to showcase some new talent. The formula seems antiquated but it does still serve a purpose to a degree as with AEW they could cycle through some indie talent as enhancement to keep the product fresh and they don't have a huge roster like WWE does so that would break up seeing the same talents against each other multiple times as it lessens the demand to see them again on PPV.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

When Roddy left the WWF after WrestleMania III was he going to be gone for good or was it Vince just giving him some extended time of to film They Live and Hell comes to Frogtown?. Before he came back did Crockett/AWA etc consider bringing him in and what was the story behind him coming back in 89 since you'd have thought John Carpenter could have come up with some more movie roles for Hot Rod, perhaps if he did a sequel to They Live. I read Pipes book years back but can't remember if he talks about that in it, thanks

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Wrestlemania 5 was supposed to be a one-off appearance. Then hosting Prime Time was just a once a week gig for good money.

He returned on house shows to fill in for Jake Roberts for some big shows in the summer of 1989 and I think he realized he missed being in the ring. He was only 35 then at a big money period in WWF so people probably told him he was crazy for walking away from a wrestling boom.

I doubt he was offered much in the way of acting after They Live. No Holds Barred came out a year later and killed off the idea of hiring a wrestler until Dwayne Johnson a decade later. They tried to give he and Jesse Ventura a sitcom and it went nowhere.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Thanks. Not sure how true this is but on IMDB someone says in the comments ABC greenlighted the sitcom (I believe a pilot was made and did air) with Roddy and Jesse but ABC pulled out in the last minute before the first episode.
According to Jesse Ventura, the show was originally guaranteed a 13-episode run, but Carolco Pictures and Disney (who co-produced the show) got caught up in a lawsuit with each other that was unrelated to the program. It was put on the back burner while the lawsuit was ongoing, and the project was abandoned. The pilot was burned off on a Saturday night in January 1991.
I think Hot Rod had potential as an actor if they found the right role for him. The episodes of Prime Time he co hosts with Gorilla are well worth checking out as he's feuding with Bobby and Rick Rude. Some of it comes across as a bit cheesy in hindsight but parts of it are really good and he cuts a very good promo in one episode where he ditches the comedy stuff and is more like the old Hot Rod.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It wasn't Roddy's fault. But a combination of wrestling bring disrespected in the mainstream, NHB being a box office bomb ruining it for all wrestlers until Scorpion King, plus the WWF scandals that started in 1991. Roddy was implicated as someone getting steroids from Dr. Zahorian. So it was just bad luck, not that he wasn't good. But I think he was going to go back to the WWF even if he did get regular acting roles because there was so much money. He'd be infrequent like Cena has been, but he was always going to wrestle again. He retired when he was 33 and still a big draw so it was inevitable.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

They actually used an episode of Prime Time to build to a really, really good cage match between Piper and Rude that you can find on YouTube - I *think* it's one of the rare matches from this time period with blood but don't quote me on that. Watching two master workers have it out and struggle to do anything with that big ass blue clunky cage is a treat. God DAMN I wouldn't want to have to work around that monster.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Wow WWE doing things on their TV that made me want to give them money. Ancient history.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

That's the match. God damn I would *NOT* want to work in that blue beast.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

Also, that's at least a **** match.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Thanks guys. I'm not sure if it's the exact same match with Hot Rod and Rick Rude but I believe one cage match between the two was on one of the Coliseum tapes (I forget which tape it is though).

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

I believe it is, yeah. I remember some of the spots.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Thanks Oce. Something I noticed though is some matches are the same almost verbatim. There's three I think BBM v Hulk steel cage matches which are near identical. One is the big SNME match with Zeus, another one is a house show match I believe on a Coliseum tape and there's another one which I think where it's from but is on one of the Hulk comp tapes. Each has that big spot where Boss is suplexed from the top of the cage. I wonder if the other two are later than the SNME match or whether they predate it to see how it gets over with the crowd.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Hogan and Boss Man did cage matches off and on on house shows from November 1988 to May 1989. The SNME one on May 27th was the last one. But they did 13 total.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

The WWE were infamous, particularly when it came to Warrior and Hogan, of having guys do laid out matches and just having guys do the same routines with little if any change or improvisation, even at house shows.That's one of the reasons why they were able to fly big names all over the place during boom periods, have them do their set routine, and then just fly them to the next town. I hate the preplanning-everything deal but in fairness to the talent today, it's been done for about 35 years now for main and semi-main matches.