SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis Mini + Clones Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis Mini + Clones Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

:boing:

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Found this thread quite interesting about the Darius port...

I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I hope it's hackable :( I need some Segagen

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

I need me some Darius!!!
I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

EB have posted my Mini. Not long to go now! :cow:

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

pixel wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:20 am I hope it's hackable :( I need some Segagen
I'm freakin' tellin' Darc!

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

the add on models are hitting the US as well

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

If I could buy that for $50, I'm really scared that I would. But it sounds like the U.S. edition of the Tower Mini is a limited run :(
NintendoLife wrote:Back in June, when Sega revealed the Sega Genesis Mini / Mega Drive Mini and its library of games during a Famitsu live stream in Japan, it continued to surprise viewers by showing off additional non-functioning components for the device.

This included miniature-sized versions of the Sega CD / Mega CD, 32X add-on, a Sonic & Knuckles-style lock-on connecting cartridge and a normal cart. This entire package is better known as the Sega Mega Drive Tower Mini and it's currently exclusive to Japan.

Despite the limited release, Sega is now sending out the Genesis Tower Mini version to select media within the west, and our very own video producer Zion Grassl was lucky enough to receive one – so he's decided to an unboxing!

Sega of America senior communications manager Jacob Nahin also made the following comment over on Twitter:
Play-Asia has an import model for $56 US, which would be about $30 more than I spent on my 32X back in the nineties :olol:

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

It seems like a massive mistake that Sega doesn’t offer these in any form. I would want it too just because it’s all version 1 stuff, and my Genesis tower is all version 2. Which I still have all hooked up and on display in my retro room right now (I was playing Chaotix on it a few weeks ago).

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I cancelled my Amazon preorder because it wasn't going to be here until Monday. I preordered one through Gamestop, but I'm apprehensive about whether they saved me one or not. My store hasn't emailed a confirmation yet, but they've only been open for a little while.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

My brother pre-ordered the Japanese version, so I'll get to play a bit of Darius at some point.
I can't get no...

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Well, I was wrong to be worried about the stock at Gamestop. The guy said I was the fourth person to preorder, and their store got 40 consoles delivered today. It's a hot take, but if every Gamestop got that amount of stock, these babies will be on discount soon.

But I'm glad I got my wonky 3-button USB controllers, those will be fun to have :)

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

pixel wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:11 amIt's a hot take, but if every Gamestop got that amount of stock, these babies will be on discount soon.
Probably, but I don’t care. I’m playing mine all weekend, so it’s worth full price to play it now.

Though I’m already hoping it gets hacked soon just for Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

melancholy wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:46 pm
pixel wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:11 amIt's a hot take, but if every Gamestop got that amount of stock, these babies will be on discount soon.
Probably, but I don’t care. I’m playing mine all weekend, so it’s worth full price to play it now.

Though I’m already hoping it gets hacked soon just for Sonic 3 and Knuckles.
I've heard that the storage inside is about double the Nintendo minis, which is good. With space, here's to fitting Sonic CD on there too

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

The controllers feel great, can't wait to play some General Chaos with them

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

It sounds like a shipping delay in Europe is holding back the hacking effort:
A lot of people are coming in to chat and asking about the progress of the SEGA Mega Drive / Genesis Mini hacking. We thought it would be helpful to list out the progress, the facts and any information that we currently know and what our intentions are.

Before we begin… Can it be hacked? Yes (In theory). Just give us some time to create something that is end user friendly and doesn’t require soldering wires to the board like Frankenstein.

What’s happening right now?

Development on the hack is difficult due to the European shipping delay so not all of the devs have their hands on the device yet. We have effectively been working remotely on the hack with only 2-4 of the devs physically having the device. However we are approximately 48 hours in and we have full access to the console, decrypted the internal data packages and learnt a lot already.

A user friendly hack is possible in theory and work has started on it as we speak. We are currently codenaming the hack project within MMC “Project Lunar” named after SEGA M2 codename for the mini “Project Moon”

How powerful is it, what is it capable of?

The SEGA Mega Drive mini is a near identical copy of the (S)NESC in terms of specs and SoC. Meaning anything the (S)NESC is capable of running. The SEGA Mega Drive mini will run it at similar performance.

https://modmyclassic.com/2019/09/20/seg ... ck-update/