The Red Dead Thread (RDR1 coming to Switch/PS4 Aug 17)

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: The Red Dead Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Red Dead Redemption 2 Is Having A Rough Launch On PC

Red Dead Redemption 2 is out on PC today. A lot of players, myself included, are already having some issues. Here are some of the problems you might be running into and some possible fixes that have been discovered so far.

First things first, you should get the latest graphics drivers for your card, which is usually a good place to start when you’re having issues. I’m running the game on mostly “High” settings on a GTX 1080, and I’m getting between 50 and 60 frames per second. I’m getting some weird freezes at random places, during which time the video pauses but the audio keeps playing. Upon advice from this reddit thread, I switched from the game’s default Vulkan to DX12, which fixed a freeze I consistently got in an early cutscene but hasn’t prevented a bunch of other ones. My freezes happened especially frequently during an early quest in the “Enter, Pursued by a Memory” mission. Some players report seeing their CPU spike when the game freezes; my CPU is a somewhat creaky Intel i5-4570, so that could be the culprit, but other players with beefier specs than mine are also reporting issues. It’s not gamebreaking for me yet, but it’s definitely annoying.

Many players are reporting not being able to start the game at all, with it either crashing on the intro or giving them a message that the Rockstar launcher won’t launch. Some folks are having luck fixing the intro crash by disabling their anti-virus software. Other players are getting a message saying “activation required” when they try to launch the game, with some reporting that logging in and out of the Rockstar Launcher helps.

Other players aren’t getting any audio. Some had luck by switching their audio output.

Several players are reporting getting stuck in an infinite load screen, though there doesn’t seem to be a fix for that yet.

I’ve been a PC gamer a long time, so I know better than to expect a perfect launch, but I’m not alone in feeling a little frustrated. Hopefully we’ll be seeing some patches sooner rather than later. Rockstar sent Kotaku to a link advising players to update their graphics drivers to solve unexpected crashes and wrote, “We’re actively looking into any other issues as they arise and we’ll continue to update the Rockstar Support pages with more information as it becomes available.” The support page for PC issues is fairly sparse so far.

Source: Kotaku

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Rockstar explains stance on Red Dead Redemption 2 PC mods

Red Dead Redemption 2 has been out on PC for 5 days now, so the inevitable influx of mods on the nexus is already well under way. Ultrawide fans can enjoy custom field of view settings and cinematics without black bars, while people who have played the game previously on a console can use custom save files to skip straight to the parts of the game that interest them most. With GTA V, Rockstar’s stance on PC modding became a bit muddy but the studio is making things clear from the start for Red Dead Redemption 2.

Rockstars official stance on mods is clearly visible to anyone who has already tried them, as they will result in a rather ominous warning in the Rockstar Launcher that reads “Use of unofficial modifications to the game is not supported and may result in being banned from online content”.

Using mods in online looks to be a good way to get banned pretty quickly, however using them for the single player game shouldn’t cause any issues, as Take-Two have posted the below on Rockstar’s support site:

“Rockstar Games believes in reasonable fan creativity, and, in particular, wants creators to showcase their passion for our games. After discussions with Take-Two, Take-Two has agreed that it generally will not take legal action against third-party projects involving Rockstar’s PC games that are single-player, non-commercial, and respect the intellectual property (IP) rights of third parties. This does not apply to (i) multiplayer or online services; (ii) tools, files, libraries, or functions that could be used to impact multiplayer or online services, or (iii) use or importation of other IP (including other Rockstar IP) in the project; or (iv) making new games, stories, missions, or maps.”

Mods that don’t touch the online functionality in the game shouldn’t cause any issues, so if you want to run a sepia reshade for that old western film look, or use Marty McFlys raytracing shader to hurt your graphics card (for now at least) you should be all good.

Discuss on our Facebook page, HERE.

KitGuru Says: Much of these current modding rules came into place after a lot of back and forth during Grand Theft Auto V’s PC launch. With that in mind, the mods that were allowed for GTA V should continue to be fine with Red Dead Redemption 2 and vice versa, just as long as you aren’t trying to play online with them.
source

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

last day for these but why not check em out

Iced Coffee Man
Global Mod

Post by Iced Coffee Man »

Am I the only one who hates the snow in these games? I abandoned my 32 daily challenge streak because I am so annoyed looking at the constant snow.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Iced Coffee Man wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:11 pm Am I the only one who hates the snow in these games? I abandoned my 32 daily challenge streak because I am so annoyed looking at the constant snow.
I'm at about that myself, I fucking hate the snow. I'm putting up with it so I don't lose my streak.

Iced Coffee Man
Global Mod

Post by Iced Coffee Man »

It's even snowy in Saint Denis wtf🤔 I'll play again after the snow melts.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

the snows even down south, at least it started there the othe day when I was playing, at least its not as bad as GTA snow which turns the streets into ice rinks, the horse can at least move & control on it unlike GTA's cars (always reminds me of trying to drice well in GTA 4)

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

if you prefer to read about it try this site also has footage of the graphic enhanement mod

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Red Dead Redemption remake rumour, so may be real or may be bull who knows?

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

some nice discounts on gun & free gun oil, not bad

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

wow the stuff this week is a massive step back from the discounted panplets & ammo from what it seems, the free haircuts are a joke, guess the %50 off ability carts might be OK though

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

well that didnt take long after it was talked about

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

well RDR 2 online is rather broken since the new role came in, crashed twice on Thursday after doing events & then last night crashed upon loading once got into the game & managhed a daily challenge to kep the streack going but god knows if it actually registered or not as when I tried again it crashed out every time I tried to load it. Shame as when the new role was working it looked decent, hope they fix it soon for now I've been alternatinmg between getting either error 0x20010004 or error 0x40003002, who new fixing animal spawns for the new role would breack the game so much?

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

gotta love the latest break in the game, so far I've seen horses running on the spot heading into trees (or it would if it was moving forward), players levitating while being frozen & a return to no animals, well done rockstar you've returned the game to its pre hunting state (well actually a bit worse). Thank god some of the daily challenges workd for me, madam navarro still doesnt appear (still) & now harriet has vanished, oddly gus the trapper is still there for me or at least was earlier