Shenmue thread: Do you know where I can find some sailors in HD?

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
ian
Null Dream Team

Re: Shenmue thread: Do you know where I can find some sailors in HD?

Post by ian »

Actually, changed my mind.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

So I’m balls deep in the mixed bag that is shmoo 2.

As most of you know I never played more than 10 minutes of 2.. when I first got it I played till my bag got pinched and never bothered to play anymore.
But now the story has somewhere to go.
FINALLY TIME TO PLAY!

For every part where there’s a fight or awesome chance to explore and learn, there’s 10 QTE bits.

When I was a kid playing shmoo1, QTE was great for action, as an old man though, it’s an annoying exercise in saving every 4 seconds, waiting for a stupid QTE to happen for no reason, remembering the pattern and then loading again to pass it..

Fuck off!!!
I’ve just climbed a billion story building by doing one QTE section at a time, saving then the next... right left right right down up. Fuck up, back to save to avoid starting again.

They’re really taking all the fun out of an otherwise enjoyable game.

Aside from that, for an 18 year old game, it’s held up really well, even if the controls and camera are a little... stiff compared to modern examples.

Shenmue 3 is on the way! So I finally see what everyone has known for nearly 2 decades!

Shenmue 1 is still a great fucking game, shenmue 2 I’d love a hell of a lot more with less QTEs and cutscenes when I could be running around with an OPTION to skip.

I look forward to sharing my thoughts on 3 in 18 years when 4 is out.
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Just remember, burn all your money on Zippos so they can't steal your money. Get your back bag and sell them all. Win win!

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I really need to play Shenmue 2 now that we are close to 3. Having thoroughly enjoyed my time with Shenmue 1 last year (holy shit, was that really a year ago?), I wish I would have just immediately jumped into 2.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Skynet wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:47 am Just remember, burn all your money on Zippos so they can't steal your money. Get your back bag and sell them all. Win win!
If only I could have done that on capsule toys before I got the Hong Kong money in the first game... BUT NO....
I should get the ticket first!

Fuck you! I’m missing some toys and damn the expense!
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Well it’s finished!

I want to say the fighting improved over 1, but it got worse...
Instead of kicking your way through 2 like you had to in 1, you simply punch your way through with the exception of the final fight, which was punch 3 times, then dodge, then punch 3 times. Until you win.

But what really wrecked the fighting was QTE in the fights.. UGH... I beat the piss out of someone cause I want more story I’ve waited 17 years for, but because I hit 2 buttons I now have to beat the piss out of the same person from scratch?

There was one section where a QTE actually worked, when I failed it, instead of it starting me again down the road of pattern memory, Ryo said “I’ll have to fight them” and then gave me the ability to punch the fuck out of them!

WHY IN THE FUCK DON’T ALL QTES DO THAT FOR FUCKS SAKE!!!

That was the most amazing, exiting, surprising and rewarding moment in all of fucking gaming.. oh wow I DON’T have to fucking repeat myself for the 8 millionth time, I can fight them. AWESOME!!

And then, just as it was getting good, and Lan Di was within my reach, it completely forgot to be a game and spent 4 hours as an interactive movie... or choose your own adventure book Um... OK!

I totally get why everyone lost their shit about shenmue 3 with that ending though and you had people at e3 screaming and running around.

All up, worth it for the story and exploring alone.. even if as a game 2 was pretty average.

They really should have wrapped it up with 3 though, so we don’t get another cliffhanger for 20 years when it sells poorly.

Not even half way through the story makes me tempted to just say: and ryo kills lan di and lives happily ever after until lan di’s son kills him as revenge, the end!

Will play through it again though to see what I missed (I’m missing one arcade game :()
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

So the wait for 3 is killing me!
It’s been almost 24 hours since I finished shenmue 2.

Apparently my shenmue 3 is due today according to auspost tracking which says “on time”

24 hours to wait to continue the story is too long!

I was disappointed to read I won’t be getting my kickstarter rewards at the same time as the game (I mean they have had more than 4 years to make some forklift toys so that’s a little bit rich that it’s not done, but collectors editions and day one editions, and merch is being sold)

But I’m hoping I at least get my backers exclusive slip case with the game and looking forward to putting the game on my shelf.
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Ian's Shenmue 3 review:

Back the game in 2015 for $120 USD.
You know, back it before it even got to 1 million on the kickstarter...
4 years later, get sent a normal edition of the game, with no kickstarter backer sleeve...
UNAC FUCKING CEPTABLE!!!!!

A HAND WRITTEN, or even poorly photocopied FUCKING SCRAP OF PAPER saying: 'thank you kickstarter backer' would have been enough.
That was too much to hope for after 4 years...
For being a fan, and backing something completely blind (Hell I hadn't even got more than an hour into 2 when I backed it because I was waiting for more story since 2002)
I can see why they wanted the review embargo to last 2 days after launch...
So they could make some sales BEFORE the Shenmue fans they are trying to fuck over caught wind of the scam they were pulling...
You know, the people who waited about HALF OF THEIR FUCKING LIVES TO SEE THE STORY CONTINUE.
But as a rando, I can walk into a shop and buy the day one edition, and get a steelbook case...
ahaha... No.. .Nonononononoonnoooooooo.

Also.. DAY ONE UPDATE?!?!??! UN AC FUCKING CEPTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shenmue 1 and 2 didn't need day one updates to play fucking properly and that was TWO FUCKING DECADES AGO!!!
FUCK YOU!!

I can put my Dreamcast versions of 1 and 2 into the fucking system, and play right away, and I'll get at least properly made games..
back in 1999 and 2001, if you made a buggy piece of shit game, it WAS A SHIT GAME and you got a bad review, and no one bought it, and you went out of business before your next game.

20 years later you can make fallout 76, sell it for full price, and promise it will be good with updates... one day... maybe.. GAME OF THE FUCKING YEAR!!!

If Yu Suzuki flew to my house tomorrow and signed all of my shenmue stuff and gave me a fully working copy of shenmue 3 on Dreamcast it still wouldn't be enough to change my mind.
Don't even buy it on sale...
Sega fans are used to getting fucked over. And I mean REALLY FUCKED OVER... but this takes the absolute fucking cake of being fucked over!!!

If I'd gotten my useless bit of cardboard as a thank you for helping make the whole fucking thing possible, I would have played the game and given an actual review of gameplay...
But no.. Don't even bother.
By all means play the first Shenmue if you haven't already (on dreamcast, remake on Xbox one,Playstation 4 or PC) It's one of the best games ever made.
Shenmue 2 is not as good of a game, but continues the story well.

But when you hold the few people who loved the games with such contempt and boarder on flat out neglect or hatred of them...
Well, that's not really OK...

I said earlier in the year that I was no longer a gamer because Nintendo couldn't make a 26 year old gameboy game play properly.
Well now it's worse... YSnet and partners don't even care about the few people who were actually buying Suzuki games when Sega were on the verge of bankruptcy.

The people who backed the kickstarter.. I bet 99% of US had a Dreamcast.. Way to fuck us again!!!
Thanks!!!

As far as I'm concerned, they owe me $176 AUD for the game and $499 AUD for the PS4 Pro I purchased only to play the game.
The biggest FUCK YOU I have ever received in my entire gaming life... WELL DONE!
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I haven't got mine yet :(

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Skynet wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:41 pm I haven't got mine yet :(
Even more disgraceful.

That kickstarter backers haven't got their copies despite paying for the whole thing FOUR FUCKING years in advance, and the game is on shelves for rando's is just an absolute kick in the nuts.

you got the PC physical copy yeah?

I'll actually be quite happy if you get it in a few days and get the backer slip cover, as that means mine was an oversight and they can somewhat redeem themselves.
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I got the physical collector's PC edition, yeah.

On Fangamer it also says an Epic store key will be available at roughly midnight for me, so I dunno :dontknow"

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

not a clue.
My PS4 version was simple.. Game and cardboard sleeve.. They didn't even get that right.

but here's something that annoys me as well..

Stiupid PS4 case can't be stacked on my shelf with the other games..

And it doesn't belong with my other PS4 games..
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I think it belongs in the garbage

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I got a reply to my polite, but incredibly strongly worded email:
Australian backers will be sent their slipcases separately from their games for logistical reasons. You will be receiving an email confirmation as soon as your remaining physical items have been shipped...

Logistical reasons my fucking ass.

We forgot is the best answer that could have possibly made sense.
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Every time I try to redeem my backer code I get this:

"No Epic Games product code has been entered. To validate rewards, enter your Epic Games product code in the Epic Games store"

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I wouldn't trust critics or users when it comes to reviews. Most fans will probably love it no matter what (like Kojima fanboys) and won't be critical if it's shit. I haven't played it yet but I'm not expecting much. I also don't really ever expect much from critics anyway :olol:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

You can trust my review of 3 and I’ve got the review of 2 up on OCAU. (Mostly what I said on here as I was playing it)

I gave 2 65% and 3 gets a 0 till I get my god damn backer rewards.

You can’t trust someone who doesn’t get it, and you can’t trust a fan.

My review is honest! 0% looks pretty bad though!
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I was expecting it to get around 70% on OC and MC, which is where it's at. It's a niche series.

darc
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by darc »

I am so glad that I took the refund from the Kickstarter instead of holding on.
It's not like I needed the money, but after they said they couldn't guarantee Steam keys would ever be given out -- even after the 1 year Epic exclusivity was over -- I said fuck it, they'll get my money when they actually have the product I want available.

I was a day 0 backer but this whole process really soured me to Shenmue.
Anyone who complains about the long list of issues this Kickstarter has gets shamed by the fanbase.
I'm going to laugh when they run off half of the fanbase and Shenmue 4 won't have the numbers to get made.
Nearly 20 years later and they're just going to push the eternal cliffhanger a little forward.