The Simpsons turn 30

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Bandit
Wrestling Mod

The Simpsons turn 30

Post by Bandit »

I feel so old I need a room at the Springfield Retirement Castle.

It's still probably my favorite show ever even though it's been terrible all century. But in the 90s no one could touch it. (And yes I know ian is going to say Futurama, but personally I liked the first 10 Simpsons seasons better.)

Hawq
Site Admin

Re: The Simpsons turn 30

Post by Hawq »

in honour of the fact I present todays hymn In the garden of Eden by I. Ron. Butterfly

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

I tried to watch a newer episode of The Simpsons on Hulu recently. I turned it off after a few minutes. It is terrible.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Bandit wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:32 am still probably my favorite show ever even though it's been terrible all century. But in the 90s no one could touch it. (And yes I know ian is going to say Futurama, but personally I liked the first 10 Simpsons seasons better.)
I'm not going to argue... From the beginning of human history untill March 28 1999, The Simpsons was the single greatest show in the entire world, BAR FUCKING NONE. And in the 90's no one COULD touch it. The Simpsons had a great 10 season run...
But from the first 5 minutes of Futurama, the king was dead.
As SOON as Futurama existed, the Simpsons became entirely pointless.
If Futurama NEVER existed, the Simpsons might even be relevant today... But Futurama does exist.

You are technically correct (THE BEST KIND OF CORRECT) that in bigger Raw number of good seasons, the Simpsons is better...
I have 7 seasons of the Simpsons in it's prime to enjoy.. And 7 is a bigger number than 4.

Season 3-9 of the Simpsons is the best thing EVER... 4 seasons was Futurama's prime... But the Simpsons now has 30-31 seasons????
so 7 out of 30 something is a worse percentage than 4 out of 7...
Futurama hit the ground running, and was fucking incredible till it got shit canned.

Not many shows start off incredible, and stay incredible until their end... And at that end, come back THREE more times :olol:
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Calavera wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:04 pm I tried to watch a newer episode of The Simpsons on Hulu recently. I turned it off after a few minutes. It is terrible.
I know which one you're talking about. It was that one where Marge was basically cheating on Homer with Moe. It seemed really out of character.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Goes to show how important a writing staff is to a show. It's especially true for the Simpsons, it was eye-opening when I learned more about the writers.

I try to be diplomatic with new Simpsons because I really don't like it. Julie Kavner and Harry Shearer sound like they're near death. The jokes and storylines don't land with me at all. It's not the same show as the "golden era." There are new writers and a new audience. The recent episode that retconned Homer into a nineties grunge band was divisive amongst us older fans. I saw a lot of rants about it on the shitposting groups I follow on Facebook.

But the funny thing is: I would've been totally oblivious about that episode had I not seen those rants. I live my own little hermit life far removed from the new episodes, so I don't let them bother me in the slightest. I choose not to let it all bother me like it did years ago. But those episodes made during the movie era stunk to high heaven, probably more so that the current run.

I wish it was more common for writing teams to create new shows/ideas every few years than have a monothetic show run for 35 years.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Oh my god the Sadgasm episode drove me nuts. 25 minutes of cringe.

I understand that they want everyone to be the same age and right now with Homer at 36 that means he was born in 1988 (making him 5 years younger than Bart was at the beginning), Marge at 34 would be born in 1990 (making her younger than Maggie), Bart was born in 2014, Lisa 2016 and Maggie 2023. Grandpa Simpson would have been born in 1937 instead of 1900, which means he's no longer a WWII vet and either didn't see combat or went to Vietnam.

But, they can just make the show timeless and not bring it up. There's no need for anymore high school flashback scenes since they did a ton of them.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I can appreciate why they did the Sadgasm episode, but the execution sucked ass. At this point they should go full tilt and make something wholly new with the Simpsons. Do something like that dumb Rugrats: All Grown Up show or some shit.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

pixel wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:10 am I can appreciate why they did the Sadgasm episode, but the execution sucked ass. At this point they should go full tilt and make something wholly new with the Simpsons. Do something like that dumb Rugrats: All Grown Up show or some shit.
Bart would have followed in Homer's footsteps and impregnated his high school girlfriend Teri. But he doesn't have Homer's charmed baby boomer life and instead works at a job he hates to pay child support. Milhouse would be the one who lucks out at a good job and Bart basically becomes his Barney Gumble. Lisa would be a more progressive version of Leslie Knope in state politics. Maggie is in high school and only communicates with emojis.