WWE Thread (Spoilers)

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Skynet
Site Admin

Re: WWE Thread (Spoilers)

Post by Skynet »

I only use the Network for a handful of PPVs per year, I really need to ditch it. I can't watch Raw or Smackdown because it's a month behind, so why bother?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Skynet wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:53 pm I only use the Network for a handful of PPVs per year, I really need to ditch it. I can't watch Raw or Smackdown because it's a month behind, so why bother?
They have really half-assed it with the modern wrestling on the Network, so unless you want it for the old stuff it's not worth having, especially if WM & RR aren't live on it.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Dave Meltzer was saying he doesn't think the Network subscriptions drop would be too dramatic and made a comparison to UFC & Fight Pass. But to my knowledge the UFC never offered live PPVs as part of their Fight Pass so the fan base was already aware they'd need to pay $64.99.

But for the past like 5/6 years when WWE have pushed the everything (plus the PPVs) for 9.99 they will lose a ton of goodwill by moving away from that business model. Only the most super loyal fans will shell out $70+ for WrestleMania and even then if it doesn't live to expectations it'll be one and done for a lot of the fan base too.

WWE are riding the rights fees for live sports wave but I can't see it being wise or sustainable long term. I can see a drastic drop in subscribers if they drop the live PPVs as part of the Network. They put NXT on USANetwork to compete with AEW and NXT was a big draw for a lot of fans. Now they don't need the Network to see it. So it's only really the long time fans who are signed up to watch the archive content. If they move that to a free tier then there's going to be even more fans cancelling since a lot just watch the older stuff.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:19 pm
Skynet wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:53 pm I only use the Network for a handful of PPVs per year, I really need to ditch it. I can't watch Raw or Smackdown because it's a month behind, so why bother?
They have really half-assed it with the modern wrestling on the Network, so unless you want it for the old stuff it's not worth having, especially if WM & RR aren't live on it.
I was planning on cancelling it anyway, so this is a good excuse to do it now.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bryan brings up an interesting point, which I haven't heard elsewhere and that was WWE potentially selling the rights for WrestleMania to Fox so it's like the Super Bowl. He also stated that subscribers to the Network had fell 15 million since 2018.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

So they are moving them from a 9.99 service to a 10 dollar one :rofl2:

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

:olol:

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Do you smell what Bezos is cooking? Amazon could buy the WWE, analyst predicts
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/02/07/do- ... dicts.html

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

They may buy the rights to stream the PPVs on Amazon Prime Video, but I can't see them buying the entire WWE. They'd have to deal with Saudi Arabia, and Bezos is in a huge beef with the prince for murdering his Washington Post writer Jamal Khashoggi and also possibly being behind the hack of his pictures.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Vince McMahon owns 41% of shares and 83% of voting power. Class B family shares give him 10x voting power versus Class A shares.
If Bezo put a big enough offer on the table I don't know if the remaining 59% of the shareholders could over rule him and make Vince have to accept the offer. He has 83% of voting power still and he's to my knowledge still Chairman of the board so he'd still have the final say I presume.

I don't see Vince selling WWE but if it was an offer which is too good to turn down, then that might change things greatly. I also see him more so selling to Disney than Bezos/Amazon though.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

https://whatculture.com/amp/wwe/possibl ... 2020-class
Spoiler
Apparently Justin Thunder Liger & The Bellas will be inducted this year

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Smackdown's great leap forward.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

It's WWE, so it's expected it will be revisionist history :olol: If they broke down the name change and how they had to re-edit their video archive, take merch off the shelf with WWF on it and HAD to rebrand the company that could have filled an episode of Ruthless Aggression on its own.

I watched the first episode and it's OK. For me it's an era of WWE I usually skip as after WrestleMania X7 things went downhill.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

And this was posted an hour after the angle. Which is weird because he should either be selling it or building suspense that he's coming back at the end if he's staying in WWE at all.

Pencil is a wrestling term for creative control, so it sounds like he's saying he's going to have creative control like TNA again.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Davey Boy Smith will be inducted this year.