Does anybody remember an Acer Win95 GUI?

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Does anybody remember an Acer Win95 GUI?

Post by Calavera »

Back in the mid 90s we had an Acer PC. I can't remember all the specs but I do know it had 16mb of ram. Anyways it had this Acer desktop thing on it that was kind of like a frontend for Windows 95. You could use the standard Windows 95 desktop or you could switch to this special Acer Desktop that had it's own shortcuts and categories. I don't think I ever used it much because it was pretty pointless. I've looked online for some mention of it but haven't found anything. That is probably partly because I don't know exactly what is was called and searching Acer desktop is just going to give you millions of Acer PC listings.

So does anybody remember this? The only place it can probably be found now would be on an old system restore CD for a mid 90s Acer.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Does anybody remember an Acer Win95 GUI?

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I've never heard of it.

Did you start that Reddit topic about it? Someone posted this:

https://archive.org/details/ACERSRCCD

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:38 pm Did you start that Reddit topic about it? Someone posted this:
I don't think so, unless I asked about somewhere awhile back and just forgot about it. You would have known if it was me though, the username would have been very similar to Calavera.

That image does look somewhat similar to what I'm talking about only it was fancier looking. Kind of gold and black if I'm remembering correctly.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I know Acer laptops of the time had all the bullshit you are talking about Cal (late 90's and expensive) 1997-2007 but I can't comment as to the desktop situation...

In fact Acer laptops of 2008-2014 had similar bullshit software that really didn't do anything, but was always there unless you did a clean OEM or disc image install.

better off without it either way LMAO
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Yeah it looks like "ACE Desktop" is what I'm remembering. The two pictures Zoid posted look pretty similar but I think they are a couple of years older than what I'm remembering.
better off without it either way LMAO
Yep it was totally pointless. If you really need all your programs separated into communications,hobbies,learning etc just put the shortcuts in folders on the regular Windows desktop!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:59 am Image
Oh man, After Dark and Photoshop 4.0? :heart: