Well known popular games that you've never played

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Well known popular games that you've never played

Post by Calavera »

Seeing that a new Half-Life game was recently released gave me the idea to start this thread. What are some really well known super popular games that you have never played? The first one for me is the Half-Life series. I've not played any of them. I don't know why really, I'd probably enjoy them but for some reason I've just never gotten around to playing any of them. Had the Dreamcast port of Half-Life been officially released I'd have probably played it. I was huge into the DC back in the day and played many great games that I otherwise would have never tried had they not been on the Dreamcast.

My second one is a pretty big one. Zelda. I have never played any of the Zelda games. Well I did actually buy Wind Waker for Gamecube since at the time I had hardly any games for it and everyone was saying Wind Waker was amazing. I don't remember much about it at all. I didn't get very far into it. I probably only played it for an hour or so and just wasn't feeling it. It also came with the extra disc that had Ocarina of Time and I never even bother to play it. Ended up selling it years later for a decent profit. :olol: Somehow I missed out on the Zelda series. I would have probably really enjoyed Link to the Past back in the day but honestly I wasn't even really aware of Zelda back then.

Those are the main ones I can think of right now. I guess I could also include Pokemon. I was in the age range for it when it came out I just didn't care about it at all because it was only on Gameboy. The first Pokemon game didn't come out until 1998 and at that time I was into playing cutting edge N64 and PS1 games. I had no interest in playing a game on an outdated black and white portable system. I've just never really been into portable gaming is the main reason I never played it. When I'm sitting at home yeah I'll play some games but when I'm out and about I have no interest in gaming.

So how about you? What are some well known games that you have never played?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Well known popular games that you've never played

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Fortnite
Counter-Strike
Left 4 Dead
World of Warcraft
Kingdom Hearts

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:10 pm Counter-Strike
I read that, then took a sip of my drink, then while I was sipping I read it again and then spat drink everywhere.

I can understand all the other games, but for ANYONE over 25 to have not played any iteration of counter-strike is unfathomable. Much less someone who owns 99.99999% of all the games ever made.
LITERALLY NOTHING could come as more of a shock as that revelation.
If any member on here or DCE claimed to have never played any sonic game, it would still be less shocking than a no counter strike game... :olol:

I'm actually having trouble thinking of games that I've NEVER tried... I usually try something and give up pretty quick, rather than have never played it. I would actually have to look up a list of critically acclaimed games(series) that I have NEVER played.. Leave it with me.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

looking at the highest rated on metracritic:
World of Goo
Baldur’s Gate series
Any of the 10 trillion NFL games
Rock band
those are games/series that I have NEVER even tried.

But that's ignoring the game series that people love that I've not played more than a couple of hours of ONE game after getting bored. like:
Mass Effect
Uncharted
God of War
Yakuza
Devil may cry
Timesplitters (this will be a sore point for a few, but they're a 3rd rate Goldeneye, and a 2nd rate Perfect Dark AT BEST)
ASS creed
The witcher
Modern batman games
Any Resident Evil after 0
I tried them, and they were shit.

And Cal, don't panic about not playing Zelda games... There has only ever been TWO of any interest (links awakening and Breath of the wild) and Nintendo fucked up the legacy of one of them very recently. from all the other games, you're really not missing much fun at all.
-Two Interactive.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Screw individual games, I can lump the games I haven't played into entire genres.

-MMORPG-
A friend bought me World of Warcraft in hopes I would join him on raids. It came with a month free. I played maybe 20 hours, met up with the friend only once, and played until the free month was up. That was the first and last MMO I ever played.

-RTS-
Played about two stages of the original Command and Conquer back in the 90's, and that was about it. I can't think of a single RTS game I've ever played since.

-TRPG-
I tried several times to play Final Fantasy Tactics, but never made it past the intro stages. I logged several hours into FFT Advance, but the fun stopped once I kept losing on a stage that took 30 minutes. And that was it, I never picked up another TRPG again.

-Hack and Slash-
Oh I've tried several of these games (God of War, Metal Gear Rising, Devil May Cry...), but none of them I've played more than 30 minutes before being bored to tears. A common theme through this list is that I get bored with any game that's non-stop action.

-Third Person Shooter-
There is only one TPS that I ever played to completion, and that was the Mass Effect series. The combination of it's story and long segments of non-shooting was enough to allow me to enjoy my time with it. But I can't think of a single other TPS game I've even bothered trying.

-Online Games in General-
The typical rule-of-thumb is that if it's online, I probably haven't played it. Having said that, I've put a combined 100 hours into the Splatoon series. I also find myself playing Smash Bros and Mario Maker online sometimes (though I'd say that accounts for 3-5 hours at most). And if you want to count it, I used to participate in LAN parties playing Quake 2, Unreal Tournament and Worms. Beyond that, though, I can't think of any other game I've played online.

-Horror Games-
I played the first two Resident Evils, and even that was a miracle. I hate anything horror, both video games and other media.

And finally, here's a list of some big games I've never played from genres I do play:
  • Call of Duty series
  • Battlefield series
  • Halo series (except the first one, but I've never beaten it)
  • Forza series (except Horizon 4)
  • Rock Band series
  • Animal Crossing series
  • Any Tomb Raider game that didn't release on the PSX
  • Most games made by Bioware (exception is the aforementioned Mass Effect series)
  • Games made by Platinum (except maybe 30-60 minutes of Metal Gear Rising)
  • Games made by Blizzard (except my aforementioned time in WoW)
  • Games made by Epic games (except the original Unreal Tournament)
  • Damn near every Pokemon game (exceptions include Blue, Emerald, Stadium, Snap, and Go)
  • And like Ian, Timesplitter series

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

Mel what games have you played?

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:10 pm Fortnite
Counter-Strike
Left 4 Dead
World of Warcraft
Kingdom Hearts
I've not played any of those either! Well I did play the first Kingdom Hearts when it was first released on PS2. I recall not liking the fighting system so I only got a couple hours into it. So it is almost like I didn't play it.

I've also never played Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2. I even have them on my Wii but for some reason have just never played them.
melancholy wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:52 am Screw individual games, I can lump the games I haven't played into entire genres.

-Third Person Shooter-
There is only one TPS that I ever played to completion, and that was the Mass Effect series. The combination of it's story and long segments of non-shooting was enough to allow me to enjoy my time with it. But I can't think of a single other TPS game I've even bothered trying.
Whaaaa? You used to be huge into the Dreamcast and never played the amazing game Headhunter? :oshocked:

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Calavera wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:22 pm
melancholy wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:52 am -Third Person Shooter-
Whaaaa? You used to be huge into the Dreamcast and never played the amazing game Headhunter? :oshocked:
Good call out. I not only played Headhunter, I own the European copy of Headhunter for Dreamcast. However, I don't remember playing too much of it because I wasn't a huge fan of the genre (as I stated before). I remember storming a warehouse and then driving the motorcycle for an hour, and that's about it.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

OrangeRibbon wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:42 am Mel what games have you played?
I was gonna say. :olol:
-Two Interactive.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

ian wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:45 am
OrangeRibbon wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:42 am Mel what games have you played?
I was gonna say. :olol:
Well you sarcastic little bastards, for your information there are a lot of game genres in the world beyond the ones I listed. And to be honest, I could have made my list even longer by not just adding genres, but categories like Games That Primarily Focus On Shooting Guns (I can count the number of FPS games I have played to completion on 2 hands, and the number that were release after the N64 on 1), Games That Rely On Procedural Generation For Its Levels (Minecraft, Terraria, anything listed as Roguelike...if it even lists the word Procedural somewhere in the description I stop reading), or Casual Mobile Games (Angry Birds, Plants vs Zombies, and so on). Of course there's even exceptions to those categories (No Man's Sky being the most blatant exception), but seeing the main character wielding a gun in the screenshots or reading that a game is procedurally generated is a good indication I'm not going to like it.

But I digress. You asked what I do play. And here is your answer.

-Platformer-
2D, 3D, doesn't matter. If it's a platformer, I've probably played it and probably loved it. This genre has the most games I've played by far.

-RPG-
I've played a LOT of RPG's in my time. I tend to focus on ones with turn based combat and small number of party members, but I've definitely played a fair share of action RPG's as well.

-Action Adventure-
This one is a little sketchier since Action Adventure covers a TON of games, but the general rule of thumb is that if I use a gun less than 50% of the time, it's has potential to be something I might play.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I'd say I've played a lot of popular games, but only for an hour or so before quitting. Sometimes, I have played one entry in a series with many reiterations:

Action/Adventure/FPS
  • Any Playstation exclusive (Last of Us, Uncharted)
  • Call of Duty (excluding Modern Warfare)
  • Fortnite/PUBG/Apex Legends
  • Assassin's Creed
RPGs
It's probably easier to list the games that I actually finished:
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Illusion of Gaia
  • Golden Sun
  • ... Pokemon Blue/Yellow/Let's Go? (If Illusion of Gaia counts, so does this :olol:)
The only JRPGs I've played were back in the SNES days, and I never finished any of them except for the above. I am playing through FF8 Remastered right now, which might lead me to playing the others on Switch.