Anyone know much about Switch modding? Have I somewhat bricked mine?

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Skynet
Site Admin

Anyone know much about Switch modding? Have I somewhat bricked mine?

Post by Skynet »

Hey guys, I know I'm probably better off asking this at GBAtemp or somewhere, but just wondering if anyone knows how to help with my odd situation.

I have an older switch I had modded for some time. It was running 6.2.0 as a clean firmware and 9.2.0 CFW. I stuffed it up a bit and now the fuse count doesn't match the firmware/nand. FW 6.2.0 apparently is 8 burnt fuses, but my burn count is 12, which 9.2.0. The problem is I can boot into my CFW on 9.2.0 but OFW doesn't exist. I cannot boot to it (black screen on start) and hekate won't give it to me as an option.

I can literally only boot to CFW 9.2.0 only, OFW doesn't exist.

I think if I can force my switch to OFW 9.2.0 firmware it should in theory fix my problem, but I have no idea how to do it as I can only update the CFW.

Anyone know how I can go about this?

EDIT: So not showing any boot options was a config issue, which I've fixed. So I've got listed CFW and 6.2.0. I also restored Boot0/1 and nand from backup. When I boot into OFW I get Error Code 2002-2634 "An error has occurred" at the bottom it then lists my serial and 6.2.0

Also posted on GBATemp to see if anyone knows what I should do. :olol:

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Anyone know much about Switch modding? Have I somewhat bricked mine?

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I've never modded a Switch so I'll be of no help.

Hope you get it fixed up.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

So it's a combination of user error (I fucked it up beyond what I was intending to do) and config issue.

Long story short, this is how I had it, how I wanted it, what happened, how I fixed.

What I wanted:
- To be able to boot the Switch without the hack into normal FW 6.2.0
- When hack enabled, choose between stock FW or CFW
- Have CFW be a higher revision than stock

What I had:
- Basically the above, when loading without the hack it goes straight to stock 6.2.0. When hack enabled, I can choose updated CFW at 9.2.0 or stock FW 6.2.0

What I did:
- When enabling the hacked FW to a higher revision, I de-selected an option to keep the fuses intact. This meant the fuse was burnt assuming the Switch was running FW 9.2.0 (12 burnt fuses) but the switch ONLY has FW 6.2.0 (8 burnt fuses) enabled. So I flat out couldn't boot to the stock FW
- In many attempts to resolve not realising what the problem was, I somehow ended up with a blank hack config file so it didn't know what to boot. This made sense because I could force boot into the CFW but that was it

What I did to fix:
- This was multiple things, actually. I fixed the config so I could choose both CFW and stock
- Stock still wouldn't boot properly but it was progress and I could see it trying. With that I got an error code. Looked up the error code and found it was related to the game card slot
- I read at some point the FW I upgraded to on CFW actually upgrades the game card slot too, as part of the fuse burning. This meant if I tried to boot into FW 6.2.0 the slot wasn't upgrade didn't match the FW it was running
- I ripped out the game card and stock boots up perfectly. This means stock can never use the card slot, unless I upgrade it to 9.2.0 but that doesn't matter because I never intend on doing that. I have a legit Switch for everything official

I think I spent probably 12 hours, maybe more, trying to resolve this since Wed/Thurs or so. What a pain in the ass! My incompetency didn't help, but it's working.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Oh well, at least you got it working again, even if it did take ages.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Things are now installing again in the firmware too, which is a good sign.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I’ve wanted to hack my switch, but I use the online features too much and I don’t want to get banned.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

That's why I run both CFW and OFW side by side, so that way if there's anything I need to do online I boot to OFW. For anything else I can use the CFW.

I also do own 2 Switch consoles, one exploitable and one not.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I've got the jig and dumped the files needed for Yuzu, but I'm with melancholy don't like the risk right now :olol: When/if they release a New or Pro Switch, I'll probably buy one and hack the older one.

Except the 360, this is the longest I've owned a post-DC console without using homebrew/hacks.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I don't use my Switch as my primary gaming platform. For me it goes: PC > XB1X > Switch >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS4 so I had no problem modding my first one. Then Tetris 99 cameo out a couple years back and I had to play it, so I bought a new Switch just for that :olol: