Anyone have experience with Rapsberry Pi on 4K TV?

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Skynet
Site Admin

Anyone have experience with Rapsberry Pi on 4K TV?

Post by Skynet »

I have a 3B+ and a 4. The 3B+ worked fine on my 4K and the 4 4GB worked fine in my arcade, but I ended up switching them so the 3B+ runs the arcade and the 4 is on my TV for emulation.

The problem is everything runs slow. I'd read that's because by default it outputs to match screen resolution, so in this instance 4k. The problem here is nothing runs. Emulationstation runs at about 10fps. According to retroarch it runs at about 3fps in menu. In game it's more like 30-40. It's not unplayable, but it's basically unplayable.

I'm in the process of reinstalling retropie on it now and mucking around with settings, but I just can't get retropie to emulate like I've seen it do in videos. I suspect it's because of the 4K output. I did set config to ignore 4K and manually edited the config to force 1080p, etc. but retroarch still runs like poo.

Anyone have experience with this setup?

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Re: Anyone have experience with Rapsberry Pi on 4K TV?

Post by Roofus »

I have a 3B+ Retropie plugged into a 4K tv and it runs fine. I haven't had to mess with any settings on the Pi to get it to run either, so I don't know what the problem might be. :/ Maybe the hardware is defective?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I haven't tried it on a 4k TV yet.

Maybe grab an image off ArcadePunks and see if that works better?

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Roofus wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:01 pm I have a 3B+ Retropie plugged into a 4K tv and it runs fine. I haven't had to mess with any settings on the Pi to get it to run either, so I don't know what the problem might be. :/ Maybe the hardware is defective?
Running retropie specifically?

Apparently retropie/emulationstation in 4k, along with retroarch, causes frame issues.

So I figured it out, turns out there was a setting I must have had a typo on because I put it back to default, re-entered the settings I had before and it runs fine.

I had the following video options set:

Code: Select all

hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=16
Then I added this to the bottom of the config:

hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080
I must have had 1 too many or too few 0s in the mix. From what I understand you can do one or the other, but one is preferable to the other. I just used both and it's running at 1080p 60hz now, which is what I wanted. So... I guess it's sorted? :dontknow"
Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:23 pm I haven't tried it on a 4k TV yet.

That's where I got it from :olol:

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Grab 2!

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Also I overclocked it to 1750 as it does have heat sinks and a fan on the case. So we'll see how we go.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:06 pmGrab 2!
I did, the other is on my 3B+ :olol: I thought I talked about it in this thread, apparently it was this thread.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Grab 3!

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:08 pmGrab 3!
I have a spare Pi Model 2 sitting here doing nothing...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Good for 8-bit.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

Skynet wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:04 pm
Roofus wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:01 pm I have a 3B+ Retropie plugged into a 4K tv and it runs fine. I haven't had to mess with any settings on the Pi to get it to run either, so I don't know what the problem might be. :/ Maybe the hardware is defective?

Apparently retropie/emulationstation in 4k, along with retroarch, causes frame issues.

So I figured it out, turns out there was a setting I must have had a typo on because I put it back to default, re-entered the settings I had before and it runs fine.

hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=16

I must have had 1 too many or too few 0s in the mix. From what I understand you can do one or the other, but one is preferable to the other. I just used both and it's running at 1080p 60hz now, which is what I wanted. So... I guess it's sorted? :dontknow"

Yeah. I got my retropie image from the official site though and set it up myself so that could well be the problem. :olol:

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Roofus wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:34 am
Skynet wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:04 pm

hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=16

Yeah. I got my retropie image from the official site though and set it up myself so that could well be the problem. :olol:
Yeah none of my pie builds are from the official site as I'd rather download a 128GB than scrape everything myself. :olol: