Calavera's Record Collection Thread

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Calavera's Record Collection Thread

Post by Calavera »

I posted a few records I'd picked up a couple of days ago in my Goodwill thread but I generally don't post the records I pick up. Today I decided to photograph all the records I currently own. Since I have them all photographed I figured why not post them here and let people take a look at them. From now on any records I get at Goodwill will be posted here.

As you will see there is really no rhyme or reason to the records I collect. If it looks interesting to me I'll pick it up. If it is something from the late 80s onwards I will usually get it even if it is something I've never heard of. New and old if it has an interesting cover I'll buy it. An example of that are the three "Country Cruisin" records. I bought them because I like the vintage cars on the covers. Sometimes those random records end up having some good music on them. I do actually listen to them although I will admit I haven't yet listened to every single one I own I do plan on eventually checking out each one. But enough talk here are the pics!

Since I posted all my records I might as well post my current setup for playing them.

So there it is. My record collection as of July 22nd 2020. If anybody else wants to post some of their records or retro stereo setup feel free to! This thread doesn't have to be all about me! :olol:

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: Calavera's Record Collection Thread

Post by Bandit »

I want a review of whatever Meet The Moms & Dads is.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

If I'd seen that collection without knowing it was yours, I probably still could have guessed that it belonged to you.

Not a criticism, mind you. It's just the most Calavera thing ever.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Marshall Crenshaw, hell yeah

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I only have like 10 records, but in the interest of the thread, I’ll get some pics of my Dads Records when I can.
(Which I guess are mine? I’ve claimed the record player. But not the actual records)

After Sesame Street Fever, why did humanity keep pressing records?
I mean it’s not EVER getting better than that.

Oh you can tell by the way I move my head I’m a puppet man, by a hand I’m lead
Man off camera, stitched at seams
I’m stored in a box behind the scenes

And now it's alright, it's all planned
And you may use the other hand!
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Sesame Street Fever was the one that stuck out to me as well.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Bandit wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:45 pm I want a review of whatever Meet The Moms & Dads is.
:rofl: That one is actually still sealed. I can't imagine why nobody ever opened it up! Just look it it! Those are the dorkiest looking people I've ever seen. I bought just because I thought it was funny.

Roofus wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:43 pm If I'd seen that collection without knowing it was yours, I probably still could have guessed that it belonged to you.

Not a criticism, mind you. It's just the most Calavera thing ever.
Thanks "thumbsup .....I think :olol:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I got to the 45's:

there's a few good things mixed in there. and some missing.
They might be with the 3rd record player under the house.

All the others are buried behind a trillion tonnes of computer parts, video games, cassettes and VHS tapes.
When I next clean out I'll get some pics then.
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

I'm still annoyed that you guys got 45s with a regular sized hole in the middle while we got the ones with the giant hole that you have to use an adapter for. Or just make sure you place it perfectly centered. Either way it is annoying and yes I've seen the Techmoan video about it :)

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

They should have done them all like the Elvis record in picture 4 (3rd one) That would have made life a lot better.

2 of my 3 record players have that adapter, but they've literally never been used.
-Two Interactive.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Calavera wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:17 am I'm still annoyed that you guys got 45s with a regular sized hole in the middle while we got the ones with the giant hole that you have to use an adapter for. Or just make sure you place it perfectly centered. Either way it is annoying and yes I've seen the Techmoan video about it :)
Was the same here with the regular sized record hole. I have some 45s with the circular hole too, which were either US imports or from a jukebox. It seems the large hole was all due to an early format war

https://www.ajournalofmusicalthings.com ... rd-so-big/

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

ian wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:40 pm After Sesame Street Fever, why did humanity keep pressing records?
Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:59 pm Sesame Street Fever was the one that stuck out to me as well.
I also have Sesame Street Fever on 8-track! Now all I need is the cassette version and I'll have Sesame Street Fever on every format it was released on! :olol: Anyway on to the records!

I picked up quite a few here recently, and here they are.

Obviously the best one is Touch Typing made simple! As with most things I just thought it was kind of neat and why not for $1?

Then there is Ray Parker Jr. The other woman. So I now have two Ray Parker Jr. albums, the other woman and chartbusters.

The 12-inch single of Laura Branigan Self Control is pretty cool. I don't think I've seen a 12-inch single before. Side B has Silent Partners so I guess it isn't really a single even though it claims to be. Both songs are extended versions but they don't take up much of the record at all.

Steve Martin, not much to say about it except it is a pretty cool find.

The one under Steve Martin in the pics is Al Jarreau. I've never heard of him before but it looked interesting.

I found another Don Johnson record! Now I have two. Obviously the reason I bought them is for the name only. :ocool:

The one that isn't in a cardboard sleeve is Dr.Hook.

40 Miles of Bad Road and Keep on Truckin' because I always buy any truck driving related records and 8-tracks.

Floyd Cramer plays The Monkees. I don't think I've heard of Floyd Cramer before but I do like The Monkees so we'll see how good his versions are.

A couple of Christmas albums because its that time of the year so why not.

One very interesting one is the New No Limit Records one. "For hood use only." It is from 2004 and it sounds amazing! I guess that is due to the fact that it isn't that old, well it is 16 years old but for a record that is recent. No surface noise at all, it sounds just like a CD. I am really impressed with the audio quality.

So total here are 19 records. So with tax it comes to a total of $20.33. A pretty good deal imo considering how at Wal-Mart they sell "new" records for anywhere from $20-$30 apiece! I really wonder how many people buy those? I like collecting records but one big reason for that is because they are so cheap. It is fun to discover new songs I would have probably never listened to if I didn't find the record and of course owning the record version of some of your favorites is cool. But there is no way I'd pay $20+ for a record even if it is a brand new re-release.

The only exception would be those game soundtracks that Data-Discs have been releasing on record. If you've never heard of them before check out this link https://data-discs.com/collections/records If I was rich and just had money to blow I wouldn't mind owning a complete set of their releases.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Calavera wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:55 pm A pretty good deal imo considering how at Wal-Mart they sell "new" records for anywhere from $20-$30 apiece! I really wonder how many people buy those?
Newly printed ones do cost a lot. The other month Duran Duran's first LP had a limited edition reissue and it costs AU$110. It even made the UK top 75 for first time in 35+ years.

That white vinyl sure is tempting.
Calavera wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:55 pm Then there is Ray Parker Jr. The other woman. So I now have two Ray Parker Jr. albums, the other woman and chartbusters.
Now you need to find the album for his band Raydio.

Calavera wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:55 pm The 12-inch single of Laura Branigan Self Control is pretty cool. I don't think I've seen a 12-inch single before. Side B has Silent Partners so I guess it isn't really a single even though it claims to be. Both songs are extended versions but they don't take up much of the record at all.
They are singles. 12 inch singles! They were pretty popular in the 80s.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

I've amassed quite a collection in what seems like a short time. It has probably only been somewhere around 4 years.

I've also got a ton of 45s now. My gfs mom gave me a huge box of 45s she had laying around and didn't want for Christmas. I've haven't even started going through those yet.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

I bought about 10 records a few days ago and while I was cleaning them I noticed something odd about one of them.

Side 1 has the wrong label! Side 2 has the correct label of MGM Records Eleven Roses Hank Williams Jr. While Side 1 is United Artists Records Cher Superpak. Side 1 does contain the correct music of Hank Williams Jr. Just the label is wrong. So it obviously was mislabeled somehow at the factory. I wonder if that makes it worth anything?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Don't think it would be worth much extra than a normal version of the album.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:34 pm Don't think it would be worth much extra than a normal version of the album.
I looked into it and apparently it isn't all that uncommon for records to be mislabeled. Oh well I guess I'll just have to look at the cover to know which tracks are which when I'm jammin' to some Hank Williams Jr. :ocool:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

In no order real order:

Clearly the Bad Religion, Daft Punk and Sega ones are mine.
But I've taxed certain other ones like CCR, the Stones, Sabbath, Deep Purple, Dire Straits etc etc. One of my Christmas records looks like yours Cal. I will literally never play it.
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

ian wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:39 pm Image
I've never seen that Megadrive and Dreamcast record before! The only videogame records I was really aware of are the one from Data-Discs

www.data-discs.com/collections/records

I have seriously considered getting either the Shenmue or Shenmue 2 record. In the end though I decided I really don't need it. The price isn't really too bad. It is 20 British pounds which is $27 USD. So about the price of the new records they sell at Wal-Mart. If I ever saw it in a store for around that price I'd probably pick it up, but with having to order it online from out of the country eh I don't really need it.
ian wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:39 pm One of my Christmas records looks like yours Cal. I will literally never play it.
I plan on eventually listening to every record I have, even if it is just a minute or so of one side. Sometimes I'll buy them just because I like the cover. So sure I might not end up listening to every single one but hey they were only $1 apiece! It could be worse. I could be one of those youtube game collectors that have a whole room filled with games that cost way more than the $1 a record does that they will never play! I never really got the point of game collectors having to have every game for a system. Why would a person spend $20 on Barbie for the NES? Just to sit in on a shelf so you can say you have it. It reminds me of the time I bought that Mickey Mouse in Numberland NES game for like $5 at a thrift store and ended up getting around $70 for it on Ebay.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Calavera wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:18 pm I've never seen that Megadrive and Dreamcast record before! The only videogame records I was really aware of are the one from Data-Discs
They were Australian Pre order bonuses for the Megadrive and Dreamcast collections on PS3/360. I'm pretty sure Skynet has them too.
I still have the records despite getting rid of the collections ages ago. Literally the best pre order bonus ANY game has ever had, and it's why I don't pre order much anymore. You want me to pre order your game? GIVE ME A MOTHERFUCKING RECORD, BITCH!
Calavera wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:18 pm I could be one of those youtube game collectors that have a whole room filled with games that cost way more than the $1 a record does that they will never play! I never really got the point of game collectors having to have every game for a system. Why would a person spend $20 on Barbie for the NES?
Have to ask Zoidberg that one. I'm pretty sure he has more games than every other BG member combined, including all the barbie games!

I don't mind building up some pretty large collections all the time, but once I've had my fill, the collection is sold and I move onto the next system. At the moment my PS1 and Saturn collections are getting up there and once I play them I'll probably move onto an original xbox or current gen or get myself a new video card with the proceeds much like I did with the SMS, SNES, 64, DC, PS2, PS3, 360, etc.

I've only purchased 1 record in the past few years, and I tend to pay a lot for records because I want them, not because they're cheap. if someone wanted to swap my shitty Elvis records, for Daft Punk or CCR ones I don't have, I'd go for that.
But going through thrift shops, there's never anything good and on the odd occasion there is, it's priced accordingly. I don't wan't 70 copies of Barbara Streisand for $1 each. I'd rather spend that $70 on something good :olol:
-Two Interactive.