General Movie News

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: General Movie News

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Kevin Hart will agree to appear in anything.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I braved the public to go see it last night, I'd say it was pretty damn good and give it a B/B+. If you didn't like Inception, then definitely don't see this one because it's convoluted as hell. I'd say Tenet was better than Intersteller.

The biggest problem I have with the movie isn't its fault, the audio was blown out at the theater. The explosions and action scenes sounded fantastic, but all of the dialogue sounds like it was underwater. :olol:

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

The problem I had with Inception is that it felt like an excellent sequel to a movie that was never made. They built this fantastic world that they barely explored before spending most of the movie trying to break the rules of it. I was thoroughly disappointed we couldn’t see the world explored and instead was stuck with what felt like an Ocean’s Eleven heist.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

And Tenet is worse in terms of brevity — the action starts right away and the main character is jumping from location to location. I agree with that feeling about Inception and it's much more of the same in Tenet. Some characters don't even get names because everything moves so fast.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

I feel like movies such as Tenet and Inception would do better as miniseries. Too much is packed into these epic movies without enough runtime to adequately make the movie work. Avatar could have been one of those, but the long screentime helped the film.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Ocelot wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:07 pm I feel like movies such as Tenet and Inception would do better as miniseries. Too much is packed into these epic movies without enough runtime to adequately make the movie work. Avatar could have been one of those, but the long screen time helped the film.
I'd be down with a Nolan-directed miniseries but I doubt he'll ever move over from movies. And unfortunately, I'm not sure whether his cinematic style would work across episodes. I think his movies work well because he has a time limit, so his work is dense with no wasted shots or filler. I'm not sure if Inception or Tenet would be as exciting had they been stretched across a few episodes.

It felt like his Batman movies were starting to run out of steam by the third one, but maybe that was due to factors outside his control.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

I felt that way too - Dark Knight Rises felt like a whole hell of a lot of burnout affecting what could have been a great movie.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

these dont really fir the trailer thread but are connected as its all Dune

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Apparently he went to a George Floyd protest as Borat in one scene and tries to meet Trump in another.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

John Mulaney and Lonely Island are going to make a Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers movie

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

2 New DC Movies A Year Releasing Exclusively On HBO Max

The DCEU is beginning to put in motion plans to greatly expand the franchise, with two movies a year on HBO Max in addition to theatrical releases.

The DCEU is beginning to flesh out plans to greatly expand the franchise, with plans for two movies a year to go straight to HBO Max. The DCEU began in earnest in 2013 with Zack Snyder's Man of Steel starring Henry Cavill as Kal-El. Three years later Batman v Superman brought Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman and Ben Affleck's Batman to the big screen. The franchise has struggled to get off the ground, especially when compared to its most obvious competitor, the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

While the MCU was both critically acclaimed and smashing box office records, the DCEU struggled to keep up. Movies like Suicide Squad and Justice League weren't received well by critics or struggled to make an impact at the box office. 2017's Wonder Woman and 2018's Aquaman changed all that. Both were well received by critics and the latter was the first DCEU film to cross $1 billion at the box offie. Still, plans for the future remained unclear even with a robust slate announced for the coming years.

Now, Walter Hamada, president of DC films, has revealed the studio's plans for the future. According to the NYT, the studio plans to release two DCEU films a year on HBO Max, in addition to theatrical releases (up to four a year). These films will focus on smaller, riskier characters (Batgirl and Static Shock are given as examples). Hamada also says that, in addition to films, television offshoots are possible and those will connect with the larger universe as well.

The larger DCEU universe has been in disarray for quite some time - while the studio has consistently turned out films, their grand plan has remained unclear. At times, it seemed as the studio was rushing out films simply to compete with Marvel, not to create a larger, interconnected franchise. That effort, though, clearly wasn't working - and it became clear Warner Bros. and DC needed to reevaluate their course of action for their comic book adaptations.

The development of an interconnected franchise of smaller movies, television shows, and four theatrical blockbusters a year represents the first effort to synch the franchise across multiple platforms, something Marvel began doing in earnest since some years back. With the recent announcement that Disney+ would have 25 Marvel shows over the next few years, the DCEU was clearly lagging even further behind. Upcoming films like The Flash, Aquaman 2, and The Suicide Squad are clear efforts to get the studio back on track, but they also serve as reminders of the past few years that the DCEU spent spinning its wheels. If the studio ever wants to catch up to Marvel or at least become a formidable competitor, the DCEU needs to solidify their larger plan and get the ball rolling. It seems like Hamada, who took over the studio in 2018, is finally beginning to do that.
source

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »