The Open Handheld Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: The Open Handheld Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The Retroid Pocket 2 is finally here with some of the most-requested changes and updates. With extra buttons, beefed up specs, and better ports, how does the Retroid Pocket 2 stack up to the original? In this video, I showcase some of the new things that this device can do well, along with giving the first developer interview from a lead engineer at Retroid.

Currently on presale: https://bit.ly/2BYtkEf (non-affiliate)

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The Retroid Pocket has never been a Dreamcast powerhouse. The first device was limited to a selection of 2D/3D games, with some of the most popular ones completely out of reach. With one tiny change in emulators, both the Retroid Pocket 1 and the new Retroid Pocket 2 can finally play a lot of Dreamcast games!

In this video we take a look at and test out the all-new PowKiddy RGB10 Retro emulation Handheld console.
Powered by the RK3326 and backed by 1Gb of ram this is nod ought a clone of the ODROID Go Advance but it defiantly feels like a more refined console.
We test out some SNES,NEOGEO,CPS3,Sega GBA,N64,Dreamcast and PSP.
So should you skip this one or buy it? Let's find out.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Damn, the Retroid Pocket 2 is only $80 US. I really like the purple one:

And the website says it supports Moonlight, which is definitely nice. But I wonder how well that works on B/G/N connections.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Yeah it's a decent price and it does look good.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

In this video, we take look at the all-new Retroid Pocket 2 and I’m very impressed so far!
Powered by a quad-core 1.5GHZ 1GB of Ram and all the buttons you need for retro emulation!
The 3.5” IPS screen is beautiful and I personally love the layout and form factor.
It's able to play SNES, NES, GBA, N64, PS1 and it even handles DS and some Dreamcast and PSP games really well. Oh and by the way it runs Android and has the google play store installed!

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

The reviews are good, it runs Android 6, and it plays all the systems I want. But I have a Switch that I never play, and I rarely go anywhere to justify a handheld.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It will be running Android 8.1 soon.

You don't need to go anywhere to play a handheld. Play it while relaxing in bed. Play it while binge watching Netflix. Play it in the backyard under a tree on a nice day. And most importantly: Play it on the toilet!

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:25 amAnd most importantly: Play it on the toilet!
:olol: All very good points, especially the part about gaming while watching TV. I think I will order one with the next paycheck because it costs about the same (if not less) as a good USB-C Android controller.

It would be a no-brainer if it was about $100 with a beefier CPU/GPU and full Dreamcast support out of the box. But PSP gameplay looks really good on non-God of War games:

And Dreamcast is just oh so close in terms of framerate

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

There's a new contender for the best small form factor emulation handheld and it comes with Famicom colors!

In today’s video we will be testing the new Beta version of Batocera specifically made for the RG351P it’s good thing as there is not much out there for it at the moment Emuelec was ok but I do like Batocera...so let’s see how good the emulation is, I will be doing another video on a few emulators that did not work...but should be a easy fix.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Here's a new Chinese handheld with a Ryzen 4500U in it.

AYA is currently available for a limited time at a special price in China, with each machine having its own unique code. To prevent scalpers from raising the price, shipping overseas is not supported at this time. For overseas users, we may take a crowdfunding sale on IGG, so stay tuned! We'll be here soon!
The 512GB version is $600 and the 1TB version is $680.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

:oshocked: Not bad considering that a 4500U can run CEMU

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It is highly probable that the SN30 will be powered by an AllWinner A33 (aka R16). The prototype units have been built with this CPU already, and it’s the same chip found in the NES Classic. The A33 is an efficient ARM Cortex-A7 chip from 2014 with four 1.2Ghz cores and a Mali400 MP2 GPU. Whilst this chip is leaps and bounds faster than the JZ4770 found in the RG350 and its kin, I believe it doesn’t perform quite as well as the RK3326 in handhelds such as the RG351P. The SN30 is currently configured with 512MB of RAM.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Just a quick heads up video, The ODROID Go Super was just announced and it's coming soon!
This new version has a 5 Inch Screen with a resolution of 854x480, Dual ANolog STicks, and a 4000Mah battery! priced at $80 and coming at the end of January 2021 Powered by the RK3326 with a Mali G31 GPU and backed by 1GB of ram this might be the emulation handheld to look out for!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I watched this today, and thought it was helpful to understand the 2020 slate of handhelds. The best part is that he showed the software differences, which was something I didn't consider beforehand:

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:40 pm Image

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »