Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Hawq
Site Admin

Re: Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

Post by Hawq »

well so much for the replacement as its doing the exact same thing, is Android 10 just crap or am I really unluckly?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Android 10 has been fine for me. What's the problem with your phone?

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

the sound volume on calls is so low I can darely hear anything, I have to put it on speaker just to hear but if theres any background noise like in a shop I cant hear a thing. Every other sound works, streaming radio is fine, youtube vids are find, my brother used the facebook mesanger to speack to me & that worked, the ringtone sounds perfectly fine at the volume I set it to its just calls that are totally buggered even when tured to max volume

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Oh OK, that sucks.

Stormwatch
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Stormwatch »

My old phone was acting up, so I got a Moto G8 Power. Nothing super high-end, but very good for the price.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Nice.

2dr
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by 2dr »

I have a USB microscope which is 1000 magnification. It is fucking awesome I can see in my own skin cells and have 1 million ideas of things to look at. I will post some images on here some time.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

We don't want to see your sperm :olol:

2dr
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by 2dr »

Well who’s sperm DO you want to see?

2dr
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by 2dr »

Seriously though I am open to ideas for microscopy. Maximum magnification is 1000x.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

a random old timey photo.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

So, I really didn’t need a new computer, but Micro Center had a deal that I just couldn’t resist.

10th gen i9 10850k
Asus Prime Z490-A motherboard

A bundle for $550. That’s less than I paid for my i5/Gigabyte bundle I bought two years ago.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I picked up another Printer.

Saved my last printer from a garbage pile. I normally don't bother with old printers, because problem city, and I don't often need to print things anyway. But that one looked different, was a Canon IP3600 in a box and still had the film around the edges with all documents and empty ink cartridges still in it so I took it home, grabbed some cheap ink off ebay, $7.95 with shipping. (I wasn't spending the $120 on the geniune ink for a garbage printer) and it came up great. Only one single problem with the garbage printer is the bottom paper feed doesn't always feed and when it does, it feeds too much, but the rear feed works perfectly, and even with cheap ink it does beautiful photos and text. Well worth the $7.95 cost, but it is only a printer, not a multifunction.

This new one was expensive though. It's another Canon. This one cost me 10 whole dollars. Canon MG6150 all in one.
This one still had some genuine ink (about enough to do the print head alignments and print a single photo. and it passed all the tests and maintenance, so I grabbed some more cheap ink. (I got 2 sets of ink for this for $14.30) When I was playing around with it, I realised it does Direct Disc printing, even though I'm missing the CD tray. I might pick up a CD tray if I can find one cheap, but the main thing is the scanner.
If this scanner competes with my old ass XP only high end canon flat bed, I will ditch my old scanner, and my old printer, and use this beast.

I used the quick copy function on this, and the result was pretty damn nice... Didn't even set up proper scanning or printing, just hit copy to makes a bordered 6 by 4
DSCF0282.JPG
Think my old XP office PC, old scanner, and old printer will all end up under the house.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

ian wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:44 pm Think my old XP office PC, old scanner, and old printer will all end up under the house.
No, no they won't. Well the printer will, but my old scanner is still an absolute beast.
The new one is much faster and much easier, and does much smaller file sizes, uses much less power and looks better. And has the added bonus that it works on windows 10.

BUT, I can't argue with quality. The old scanner is on the left:
new vs old.png
I did absolutely everything to get the best result out of the new one, including filters, masks and pre and post settings but it still only does 600DPI. The old scanner had nothing done to it, I just scanned at 1200DPI (output a 398MB A4 BMP file) and the glass has some marks under the glass. but even with that, it shits the image quality in... Windows XP era hardware cannot handle editing 400MB files at all, so all scans will be done and then put on a proper computer.

New things aren't always an upgrade I guess.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I got a Sony Discman D-50 MkII (1986) for $5 from the recycle shop. It was Sony's second portable CD player but the first one with the Discman branding.

It's in nice shape for something so old and that was thrown out. It's chunky and fairly heavy. Not that portable.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

nice score!
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I've just broken my HTC One XL (2012) with a drop and my daily iPhone SE is falling apart so I picked up a Motorola E7 for $160.
Going from an iPhone SE to this is like going from a 14" monitor to a 150" projector.

How the fuck do I hold this phone?
It seems nice, and the quality and performance is really good for how cheap it is so far.. but FUCK ME this thing is massive.

My first smartphone was a Motorola, and after checking a few cheapies out I decided this was best bang for buck. But how I would love all these specs in the shell of a Motorola Backflip.

The dual Sim means I can retire both my fucked phones and just use this behemoth till my Telstra plan is up, at which point I will port to Telstra again for a free iPhone 12 mini at JB.

(Telstra pay me quite a bit to become a customer)
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Taken a day for me to crack the shits with my new phone.
The fucking pimple growing into the screen (It's called a notch in marketing, but let's call things as they are... a fucking pimple)
If I look at any display technology from the past HUNDRED AND TWENTY FUCKING YEARS, it's never been a selling feature to PUT SHIT IN THE FUCKING WAY OF THE FUCKING DISPLAY!
ARE THEY FUCKING HIGH?!?!?
I can't wait for phones in 5 years from now...
These 5 stuck pixels in the centre of the screen are always bright fucking green because we determined it was good for the mental health of disabled transgender Karens of colour.

I can forgive the size of phones being 4 fucking metres tall by 1.5 metres wide. I mean bigger is better after all...
BUT WHAT IS THE FUCKING POINT OF SCREEN PIMPLES??

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!

aside from the screen pimple, and Telstra sucking ass, I am actually happy with my phone.
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I bought an old iPhone 4S for $16 shipped on eBay :olol: I must've sold mine back to Verizon, but it was my first smartphone and I figured it'd be cool to keep one around for nostalgia.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »