All Elite Wrestling Thread (It's Wednesday...you know what that means.)

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Re: All Elite Wrestling Thread (It's Wednesday...you know what that means.)

Post by Ocelot »

This company is like ice to the temple after WWE's suckiness knocked me in the head on Sunday, I swear.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Spoiler

Bryan and Mike are saying for fans to not get their hopes up too high. Could they be working together after Kenta/Mox, I think there's a strong possibility they will, because it's mutually beneficial to both AEW and NJPW. It helps in New Japan's US expansion and I believe Bushiroad were unhappy with Harold Meij he didn't fulfill that goal.

Now Harold has stepped down I believe that changed things a great deal too. I think Kenny and the Bucks were unhappy around the time of him being painted as the enemy in the match with Tana. They wanted to work New Years Dash of that year and basically have their curtain call but New Japan weren't in agreement.

However for things to have moved forward in a positive direction is a good thing. I did think they would get together, especially when Tana appeared in a video package on Dynamite for Jericho and both promotions started referencing each other on social media etc.

Going forward, I think once the pandemic is over we will see NJPW guys in AEW and vice-versa. A cross promotional Wrestle Kingdom would be huge and really be how the old WrestleMania events used to be like when they were must see.

I'm not aware of how ROH fits in the mix here but I believe Cody and The Bucks did say they were open to working with them. I also think like with Impact they could send AEW wrestlers to ROH too and vice versa. Which would benefit everybody. I'd also like to see MLW in the mix also.

Wonder if Vince Jr had this type of philosophy back in the day whether the industry would have been stronger instead of AWA, World Class and the other territories falling by the wayside. If this working agreement with Impact, New Japan, NWA etc works out then post pandemic would could see the equivalent of an All In 2 which I think would be great for all wrestling fans and also for the wrestlers and the pro wrestling industry itself.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

Holy crap.

I thought he'd be a lifer with Vince.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Ocelot wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:15 am Holy crap.

I thought he'd be a lifer with Vince.
So did he. But apparently he was tired of waiting for the commentary role he has been promised for a long time and took a deal where he'd be used as more than a cameo a few times a year.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea it seems kinda out of left field that they brought in Show. If they use him right it could be a good pickup for AEW. I would have debuted Big Show during the tag match and had a pull apart with Shaq instead of announcing his signing beforehand so it would have had that surprise factor. I think Tony said there will be more new and old faces turning up in AEW in the interview with Bryan & Mike.

Personally though I would focus more on developing indie talent and guys they already have like MJF, Wardlow, Sammy, Penta, Fenix, Pac etc as otherwise AEW will fall into that same trap WWE has now with the reliance on older stars.

Maybe it was a TNT edict to bring in Sting and Show but Tony has to be very careful they don't veer into TNA territory. Especially when they were touting themselves as being the antithesis of WWE. Top focus really should be building their relationship with New Japan and whilst travel
is an issue right now I would rather we see Okada, Kota Ibushi, Switchblade et al turn up on Dynamite.

The AEW roster is already packed so they need to really only add marquee names. Talent sharing with Impact, New Japan etc would be beneficial and freshens up the roster without a situation similar to WWE where we see the same matches over and over again.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Having older guys is fine as long as they don't come in and beat everybody. If Big Show comes in and puts over Brian Cage and Lance Archer as killers that will be great. If he comes in to do a match with Shaq that's fine too. The problem would be if you get a Jim Duggan situation where he beats Steve Austin repeatedly, or a Main Event Mafia gimmick where the older guys are the stars at the expense of home grown talent. But Tony is a student of the game and surely realizes where WCW and TNA went wrong. Plus I don't think Big Show has an ego like Hogan where he's going to do stuff like No Sell Vader to kill his heat in 1995.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Papa Buck is simultaneously the worst and the best.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Will be interesting to see how AEW uses Big Show. If he's primarily there as an announcer I think they could have considered other options (Mauro for example) and as an on air talent they can't push him to the detriment of the upcoming names.

It's a real out of left field pick up, if this was say Hogan/Bischoff era TNA fans would be crapping all over it. But like you say, Tony should be smartened up to the mistakes that not only TNA made but WCW & other promotions historically too. Mainstream appeal wise I don't know how big of a draw Big Show will be, had it been John Cena then it would be a massive game changer. But it's highly unlikely he'd jump ship, but if he did, that is one guy who would bring a ton of mainstream attention to AEW.

I've read Mox wants Christian in AEW too which again has that former WWE & TNA association. I do think for AEW to grow they need to make their own stars otherwise down the road they are still reliant on older stars like WWE is. Plus like WWE they have a strong roster it should be about pushing them to the moon. MJF should be doing the rounds on talk shows, Inside the NBA etc , even OC just have him act like he does, or Jungle Boy just these three I think could easily grow in popularity and connect with new audience(s). Plus they are essentially home grown AEW talent and can keep improving. Which I think is the route they need to go in instead of nostalgia.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Shaq actually did a great job. I wouldn't mind him coming back, which is probably the only celebrity wrestler since Kevin Greene I'd say that for.