The Open Handheld Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: The Open Handheld Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

In this video, we take alook at the all-new ODROID GO SUPER! With a 5 Inch IPS Screen Dual, analog sticks, and a quad COre 1.3GHZ CPU this handheld is could turn out to be amazing in 2021!
We do an unboxing, Go over the Specs test out some Dreamcast Neogeo and PSP, and finally do a tear down to see what's inside!
This new version has a 5 Inch Screen with a resolution of 854x480, Dual Analog Sticks, and a 4000Mah battery! priced at $80 and coming at the end of January 2021 Powered by the RK3326 with a Mali G31 GPU

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Wow, wonder how much that thing is.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:36 pm Wow, wonder how much that thing is.
It's around US$600.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

This is going to sound dumb, but I wish there was a keyboard dock for this to be used as a netbook :olol:

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Tencent Patents “PC Video Game Console,” Hardware Images Revealed

Do you have room for more gaming devices in your life? It appears multi-billion corporation Tencent might be eyeing to enter the hardware video game market, as the company has obtained a patent for a “PC video game console” today.

The console itself looks like a Nintendo Switch hybrid though running on Windows platform.

Note that gaming handhelds and even home consoles that run Windows and Android is nothing new. But given this is Tencent, which has war chest that could rival Microsoft, and has its hands in a lot of video game companies, it’s definitely worth noticing. Tencent is also the distributor for the Nintendo Switch in China, so take from that what you will.

Also, Tencent filing a patent for this doesn’t mean we’ll see this come out with 100% certainty. That said, I wouldn’t be surprised to see one.

https://mp1st.com/news/tencent-patents- ... s-revealed

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:36 pm
How wildly impractical and uncomfortable :olol: But it's nuts that PS1 games are "running" on that

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Ars Technica wrote:On Thursday, Valve took the wraps off its new Switch-like portable PC, now dubbed the Steam Deck, confirming that it is indeed the hardware Ars Technica wrote about earlier this year. The device will begin shipping later this year at a starting price of $399.

The hefty-looking console, which is 11.7 inches long (compared to 9.4 inches for the default Switch with Joy-Cons), will launch at three price points, differentiated by built-in storage capacity, higher SSD speed ratings (jumping from default eMMC storage to a pricier NVMe protocol), and differently tempered glass on its screen. Those upgraded versions will cost $529 (256GB) and $649 (512GB, "anti-glare etched glass"). Both pricier bundles include a carrying case.

All models will have the same AMD-powered combination of a four-core Zen 2 CPU and a RDNA 2 GPU, which Valve describes as a "custom" APU. Each model also includes 16GB of LPDDR5 RAM, a 40 Whr battery (guaranteeing "2-8 hours of gameplay" on a single charge), a microSD card slot for expandable storage, and a 7-inch, 1280x800, 60 Hz touchscreen LCD.

Valve promises that "your entire Steam Library shows up, just like [on] any other PC," when you load up your Steam account on a Steam Deck. The device will run on a "new version" of SteamOS, itself a Linux distro, with Valve's Proton compatibility layer used to ensure that Windows games function properly. Valve has been bullish about testing and expanding Proton compatibility over the years, and Steam Deck will be the initiative's biggest proving ground yet. If you'd rather roll with your own OS, Valve chief Gabe Newell has indicated that Deck owners can wipe the device and start with whatever they choose, including their own licensed copy of Windows.

The console looks nearly identical to the prototype hardware that Ars Technica was made aware of earlier this year, complete with an Xbox gamepad-like array of buttons, joysticks, and triggers—and a pair of thumb-sized touchpads. The touchpads are similar to the ones in the Steam Controller, only smaller this time around. Finally, there are "grip" buttons where a player's pinky might brace. As we reported previously, the Steam Deck does not include removable controllers. In terms of audio support, Deck owners can expect Bluetooth 5 headset functionality and a built-in chat microphone.

None of the bundles includes a Switch-like dock to connect to televisions, though Valve says it will sell a USB-C dock with HDMI-out functionality and a variety of PC-like connections (which you can see in the above gallery). That device doesn't have a release date yet, but if you'd rather not wait for Valve's version, the company says your own "powered USB-C hub" will work as well.

If you want to preorder a Steam Deck (beginning at 1 pm ET on Friday, July 16), you'll need to use a Steam account that has "made a purchase on Steam prior to June 2021 for the first 48 hours of reservation availability." A one-time $5 deposit will also be required, though exactly how that payment process will work remains unclear as of press time.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I'll try to get a $5 reservation in because it's refundable. This thing sounds like everything I've wanted in a handheld, especially with the Windows support.

Build quality is maybe the one thing that I'm concerned about. I do like my Steam controller, but it does have a strange feel to it. That and the screen might be a little underwhelming.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I want one.
But I doubt they'll come here, and like an index you'll pay the Price for it then add in 10 trillion dollars shipping and tax, and then if anything goes wrong with it you're fucked.

Whole steam library, combined with my aging desktop, and any decent desktop GPU costing a billion dollars, this is something I would seriously consider if I could try before buy.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

This is the exact device I wanted 5 years ago. I LOVED handhelds because I did 80% of my gaming at night in bed. But then I got a Surface and an arm mount for my bed, and it has changed my life. Now I can remote play anything to the bedroom on a big ole 12” screen. Ironically the only console I can’t play in bed with my new setup is the Switch. I plan to get a capture card so that I can soon, but for now my Switch hasn’t been touched in like a year because I just like gaming on the Surface so much better.