Retro Gaming Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Re: Retro Gaming Thread

Post by pixel »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

finally got around to putting Pseudo Saturn Kai on my action replay so I can play backups. lots will be backups, but some will be just so I don't have to buy more overpriced saturn games.

I was just gonna put my backups in a CD wallet, but then thought that once I don't have originals anymore I'd still like to see them, and I have stacks of DVD cases just sitting anyway.
But then I thought that I can fit more CD's on a shelf. It doesn't look as good (all squishy) but I'm probably gonna go with standard CD cases..
DSCF0239.JPG
I'll think it over the next few weeks while I rip more games.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I was expecting a price tag near triple of what that replacement kit actually sells for. I am VERY tempted to do this now.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Same here :osmile: Now if only there was a reasonable HDMI mod for the damn thing :olol:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Problem:
DSCF0235.JPG
Action Replay looks cheap, and doesn't match my lovely black saturns.

solution:
DSCF0279.JPG
Some paint and a bit of photo paper. It's not a perfect job, but it looks so much better in the saturns (which I've used a bit this month)

I also had one of my Saturn games brought back from the dead. Sonic Jam (the definitive sonic collection) disc couldn't be read due to a large oval shaped scratch, so I figured $5 and going all the way to the other side of town was worth a shot.
now it plays perfectly in both Saturns, and I was able to make an image of it with no issues. :cow:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

ian wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:11 am Some paint and a bit of photo paper. It's not a perfect job, but it looks so much better in the saturns (which I've used a bit this month)
It looks great!
ian wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:11 am Sonic Jam (the definitive sonic collection)
And thus began Sega's long-standing tradition of dodgy YM2612 sound emulation :olol: Otherwise they were good ports:

I got a used Saturn for Christmas sometime before 2000, and the only non-sports games we could find locally were Sonic Jam and Virtual On. I get such strong nostalgia for Sonic Jam because that was last hurrah (for me) of classic Sonic. Up until Sonic Adventure, I was a loyal devotee and even had a subscription to the Archie Comics. Once that green-eyed freak showed up with his friend Big the Cat, I was out. :grumpy:

That was over 22 years ago, which is more than twice as long as I was a fan. :olol:

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

ian wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:11 am Problem:
Action Replay looks cheap, and doesn't match my lovely black saturns.
who was ever looking at the AR & not the game they were playing? the thing coulda been fluorescent pink & it wouldnt have mattered, though yes it also looks good in black

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

pixel wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:34 am And thus began Sega's long-standing tradition of dodgy YM2612 sound emulation :olol: Otherwise they were good ports:

I got a used Saturn for Christmas sometime before 2000, and the only non-sports games we could find locally were Sonic Jam and Virtual On. I get such strong nostalgia for Sonic Jam because that was last hurrah (for me) of classic Sonic. Up until Sonic Adventure, I was a loyal devotee and even had a subscription to the Archie Comics. Once that green-eyed freak showed up with his friend Big the Cat, I was out. :grumpy:

That was over 22 years ago, which is more than twice as long as I was a fan. :olol:
I actually have a stronger nostalgia for the Master System Sonic, because it was the first game I ever played and the Super Nintendo was better than the megadrive. but over the years I did get around to the megadrive ones.
I don't have any hint of nostalgia for the Saturn at all. My 64 was the best console of that generation, and I was just waiting for the dreamcast.
I only got my saturns a few years ago, and am enjoying the games I have or not. and now the disc works, I will probably play all the sonics again. I found Virtual on to be like a seizure inducing explosion of rainbows, and I would have loved it a lot more when I was younger.

I never finished Sonic Adventure, it was the adventure parts that just sucked the fun out of it. You could count the Sonic Advance games as the last good ones. I played and loved the shit out of 1 and 3.
if I had to make the definitive sonic collection in 2021, it'd be: sonic 1,2,3, knuckles, Advance 1,2 and 3 and that's it. on PS5 because it's the last console to have a D pad in a primary position.
Hawq wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:25 am who was ever looking at the AR & not the game they were playing? the thing coulda been fluorescent pink & it wouldnt have mattered, though yes it also looks good in black
have you ever seen how any gamer sets consoles up? it's always a high wank factor, and it's more for the times when I'm not playing it, but looking over at them thinking about how I should probably get through more games before the discs rot or the optical drives die.
If the saturn was my only bit of entertainment, it wouldn't need to look good, because all I could do would play games on it... But when I have to see my saturn sitting under my TV next to a PS4, XbOX, and Switch all in various shades of blacks, I don't want this flash of cheap looking white plastic assaulting my senses.
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

ian wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:19 pm
pixel wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:34 am I got a used Saturn for Christmas sometime before 2000 [...]
I actually have a stronger nostalgia for the Master System Sonic, because it was the first game I ever played and the Super Nintendo was better than the megadrive. but over the years I did get around to the megadrive ones.
I don't have any hint of nostalgia for the Saturn at all. My 64 was the best console of that generation, and I was just waiting for the dreamcast.
I only got my saturns a few years ago, and am enjoying the games I have or not. and now the disc works, I will probably play all the sonics again. I found Virtual on to be like a seizure inducing explosion of rainbows, and I would have loved it a lot more when I was younger.
I probably invested all of an hour total into Virtual On :olol:

The Saturn was part of this murky period in gaming for me between the ages 10-14. Gone were all the fun 2D sprites of the 16-bit era and now I was playing all these stilted 3D racers and platformers on the PS1 at home. If I had to generalize the 32-bit era, it was shit for me and I straight up didn't have a fun time except for Ocarina of Time and Star Fox 64 :olol:. To me, that time period and the jump to 3D represents the most jank ever seen in the gaming industry.

I think I got my Saturn thinking that there were all these hidden gems ready to be played on this mysterious system that only true gamers enjoyed. But I never even got a memory card (couldn't find one), and couldn't find a fully fledged game for the damn thing. The whole era left me pretty jaded, but then the Dreamcast, Gamecube, GBA and Xbox all came out and the world was a better place.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

ian wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:19 pmhave you ever seen how any gamer sets consoles up? it's always a high wank factor
My systems lack a quick wipe down feature

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Been playing Saturn all night while more discs burn and print.

Sad to report I think my model 1 power supply has finally died.
It’s hissing and flickering like mental, and usually squealing like that is a blown cap (or a few)
Now I decide if I want to repair it, replace it, get a pico psu, or just stop using it altogether and just live with the model 2 until it dies.

I can’t complain because it’s lasted 25 ish years and I never had a DC go more than 10 years without a power problem.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »