Movie Thoughts/Reviews Thread

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Hawq
Site Admin

Movie Thoughts/Reviews Thread

Post by Hawq »

Pretty sure there used to be somewhere to stick such thoguhts but cant find it, if someone does then just stick this in it

Well I watched Earwig and the Witch last night & it has some good & bad points, some slight spoiler(ish) thoughts at least about the ending:
The main good is that it feels kind of right despite being the first CG Ghibli film & definately better than Goro's first film (Tales from Earthsea not being a great starting point) the art did fit into the general style & feel.
Unfortunatly the big issue is how it kind of cuts itself off at the end just as things start to look like they are really getting going, fills in some stuff over the end credits but really could have done with more film to do them more fully, if they go back to it maybe they can but its unlikely they will go back.
I've seen some comments about the CG mainly from those that think if it aint hand done its rubbish but it seemed fine once I got used to it which didnt take long at all. So basically its worth a watch though you may be left wanting more by the ending

ian
Null Dream Team

Re: thoughts on Earwig and the Witch, didnt we have a thread for movie thoughts once

Post by ian »

“CG Ghibli”

I won’t let you down Hawq:

Ewwwww!!!!
Literally the only single studio in the world I NEVER wanted to see use CGI, and never want to see them use it ever again.

I don’t care if they move all the animation to Korean or Chinese slave kids. As long as they never, ever use CGI again.

I’m not saying it has to be hand drawn to be good or that CGI is rubbish, far from it... but there’s a time and a place for everything, leave the CGI To anyone else who wants to make a film, and keep the charm and the most distinctive part of your movies in tact.

I’m sure I’ll be roped into watching it eventually, but it’s not something I’d actively seek to watch.

If I want to watch a brilliant CGI movie, Pixar has existed for a long, time.. Pixar is to CGI what Ghibli WAS to hand drawn.

(Now count the days till Pixar hand animate a film in Japan or do something equally uncharacteristic like rotoscoping) :rofl:
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Movie Thoughts/Reviews Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hawq wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:45 am Pretty sure there used to be somewhere to stick such thoguhts but cant find it, if someone does then just stick this in it
Well we've got one now!

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

I dont think the experiment worked, probably why they gave it to Goro (shame as the story isnt really bad, apart from the aforementioned not a lot happening until the end) dont worry though his old man is hard at work on a traditionally made film. Just wish they'd blown the experiment with CG wad on some shorts instead

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

watched the Snyder Cut last night & at close to 4 hours (when not counting the credits) it took a fair bit of time, I dread to think what its gonna be like when it finally hits a channel with ad's in it. As I was getting a bit tired by the end this is not a comprehensive review/set of thoughts, also the order is not great just when things come to mind as I type

Now then where to start, lets see well that entire locals around Steppenwolfs base plot is gone & his base seems to start being built up a lot earlier & we get introduced to Desaad wich is nice.
A fair bit is juggled around really, Aquaman has a rejiged introduction for example & the Flash is introduced with a new bit that also gives us Iris (presumably in redines for the Flash film)
The look at the battle between Darkseid & the forces of Earth is now longer & improved, the GL doesnt go out like a punk for one thing (always felt the first version of the film killed hom way too fast) the Steppenwolf v amazons fight at the start is expanded as well, also I dont recall it being there in the older version
Supermans death kicks things off with his dying seting off the Mother Box's alerting Steppenwolf to come to Earth
Martian Manhunter is here! no sign he exists in the old version but here he helps get Lois into place & goes to Bruce with kinda leads to the end of film bit
Bruce has a vision/dream earlier in the film about a post apocolyps (pun not intended) Earth where several JL members are dead & theres some odd aliences & someones gone very bad as warned about earlier, we do get to see Joker in this though so if you like him thats something
In all the epilouge bits I noticed what could well be the moment that connects the Flash TV show as well as the Flash disapears while running at one point which could be connected to him showing up in the TV show briefly during Crisis, possibly

As I said its by no means a detailed review of it but overall its better than the first version, the only thing is that its in 4:3 with it possibly being that a 16:9 version is being held back until it can go into cinemas maybe

List of new charecters in this cut

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Watched Godzilla vs Kong last night & its a damn fun monster-em-up, at just under 2 hours you aint gonna have your arse fall asleep like Justice League Snyder Cut (as previously stated good but long) but you will be smilling if kaiju fights are your thing.
To kick things off we get Kong being studied on Skull Island, not an action packed start but I guess fair enough as he works out whats going on starting to set things in motion
Next up soon after Godzilla does his thing & as you'd expect things get trashed & yes we get to see him do his thing properly, always nice to see they havent slid back to only glimpses of him & we see a glimpse of what he's doing there, well regular Godzilla fans will reconise it anyway
I have to say the Kong Gozilla fight on the ship from the trailers I thought at the time was gonna be very one sided seeing an only one of them can survive underwater but it actually turned out rather good
Hollow earth loonies will love the film as the humans take Kong there but obviosly Godzilla finds out, cue another punch up
Towards the end we get something no-one who say some of the trailers will be shocked by Mecha-Godzilla! & its a nice looking design for this version, no bright chrome or anything, of course something goes wrong & if you get to this point watching the film you'll know exactly what to expect.

Overall I'd say this one is well worth a watch guys, you wont regret it, oh & dont bother waiting for any post credit bits as there arent any

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Spent last night watching Thunder Force, its an OK way to kill 1h 46min, I wouldnt say its the best but its fun enough & better than I was expecting. Admitidly what sticks in my mind the most is the use of some classic rock on the soundtrack as the plot isn't anything to write home about but hey, its no ghostbuster remake so at least you know you get something that you canm sit & watch without needed to reach for the eye bleach. If you have the runtime to kill give it a go it should do the trick

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

well after Thunder Force the other day I needed a pallete cleanser & I picked a damn good un by watching Nobody.

I already had a damn good idea I was gonna enjoy it from the trailer with the bus fight but seeing that fight in full was even better, I'd probably describe it as a mix of Falling Down & anything where a 'company' man is trying to live a quiet life though as the Falling Down comaprison suggests it dont quite work. Amusingly that bus fight from the trailer is what kicks the story off proper, sure theres some stuff before it where we see a glimpse of what the guy can do or at least hints of it but when one of the guys he fucks up on the bus turns out to be a russian modsters brother, well I dont need to finish that sentence really.
Cue a lot of fights & many bad guys dying in a glorious throwback to an 80's action flick, maybe with some 70's Deat Wish thrown in & a huge smile on your face as you watch it, if you're anything like me that is.
If you were at a loss for something to watch & have 90 minutes to kill you could do a hell of a lot worse than watching this, hell even if you dont have the time to kill find it, you wont regret it.

Now to await Mortal Kombat if its on time so I have something to watch next weekend

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

From what I've seen of Thunder Force it doesn't look too good, although I'll probably check it out.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

given who is in it it was better than I expected, I'd still say watch Nobady & leave Thunder Force for when theres nothing else, then watch Nobody again to cleanse the pallete

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I watched Mortal Kombat on Friday, it was pretty good all things considered. The pacing was messed up, and the new lead character is a block of wood, but it was a few shades better than Annihilation. I trust everyone here understands how cheesy and stupid this movie is :olol:

I'll give it a solid C+ on my scale.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

There was definitely still the cheese factor, for sure. I liked it more than any other MK movie so far, not that there's a high bar.

What is cool is that it was shot in my home state and the warehouse scenes are down where I spent a bit of time as a kid, so some of the exterior locations are places I've been before. In fact, a week ago I drove down the roads they're driving on at one point, so for me it was cool to see the part of Adelaide I grew up in on screen (well, TV) in a movie about a franchise I've played since I was a kid :olol:

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

About the new character:
Spoiler

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

Scorpion and Sub Zero stole the entire movie. I was into them and their story more than every other character in the movie combined.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Ocelot wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:35 pm Scorpion and Sub Zero stole the entire movie. I was into them and their story more than every other character in the movie combined.
Definitely, I really hope they do something, anything with just the two of them. Scorpion's story made the movie feel rushed.
Spoiler
I don't know if I missed anything, but the only foreshadowing for Scorpion was the first scene and those random flashes that Cole saw. All of a sudden, he showed up at the end saying something about getting Cole's help to escape Hell. But they didn't really explain that? It felt rushed, but it's definitely a badass way to set up the rivalry and I really hope they spin something off.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

gotta say after watching MK on friday, then totally forgetting to add any thoughts in here, I enjoyed it. OK it was moe of a set up a proper tournament if a sequal happens kind of thing but it was fun & unlike the first film didnt misdeclare flaslass victories, it even gave some nice fatalities & I have to say I loved Kano's self commentary for his (well come on, we all know thats probably what Kano would have thought in the game when he did it). Easily the best game based film I've seen for a few years at least (Monster Hunter was also good but I never played any of the games so cant really compare it the same way between game & film).
I get why they deicded to add a new guy in as everyone already knows the main roster & what to expect, also this way they could have killed the main guy if they wanted to & nobody would really care. Clear sequal bate at the end but as long as it doesnt do a 'MK Anihilation' then it should be OK & I look forward to more assuming it des well enough to get a sequal, overall bloody good fun though

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

that feels like it needs the 'toastie' face to appear & say "but at least it aint Anihilation"

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Hawq wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:00 am that feels like it needs the 'toastie' face to appear & say "but at least it aint Anihilation"
:olol: