Nintendo General Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Re: Nintendo General Thread

Post by pixel »

I've gotta buy it, the reviews are too good. But I'm not looking forward to blazing through it in a weekend :olol:

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Maybe I have mush brains, but these later EMMI sequences in Metroid Dread are dogshit. The game's stealth rules seem like they're all over the place. Sometimes I try to evade, don't get caught and try the same manuver again only to be killed.

I don't like QTEs and now Metroid has them. I guess I don't want a game that's stupidly easy, but I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall in Dread.

Checkpoints are different now, death only puts you outside the nearest door in most cases. But that's just making me go for 1-2 minute death runs through the EMMI sequences over and over.

There's a QTE that's supposed to save you from an EMMI killing you, but I land it so infrequently that I'd rather they just skip it.

I wouldn't say the glowing reviews are wrong per se, but what I can say is that there's some jank in this game. And I don't know if it's my fault or the game itself to blame.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

pixel wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:08 amI wouldn't say the glowing reviews are wrong per se, but what I can say is that there's some jank in this game. And I don't know if it's my fault or the game itself to blame.
SHHHH. Don't let Metroid fans hear that over their sucking of the series' dick.

Metroid fans feel neglected. Like an adopted child who's adoptive parents later have a biological kid.
It's not fair that Mario and Zelda have so many games while Metroid gets shunted to the side and left out of the family portrait.

So be careful what you say and who you say it to. This new Metroid is PERFECT, you understand? It only gets more perfecter because the last game was so long ago!

I will probably get around to it eventually as I've always liked the Metroid games, but don't mind missing out on one here or there.

It might even be one of the few games I watch a let's play of. Well, when Nintendo will let someone do a let's play without suing them to oblivion and relegating a person who enjoys their games and wants to share them to homelessness.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

ian wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:41 pm
pixel wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:08 amI wouldn't say the glowing reviews are wrong per se, but what I can say is that there's some jank in this game. And I don't know if it's my fault or the game itself to blame.

Metroid fans feel neglected. Like an adopted child who's adoptive parents later have a biological kid.
It's not fair that Mario and Zelda have so many games while Metroid gets shunted to the side and left out of the family portrait.

So be careful what you say and who you say it to. This new Metroid is PERFECT, you understand? It only gets more perfecter because the last game was so long ago!

I will probably get around to it eventually as I've always liked the Metroid games, but don't mind missing out on one here or there.

It might even be one of the few games I watch a let's play of. Well, when Nintendo will let someone do a let's play without suing them to oblivion and relegating a person who enjoys their games and wants to share them to homelessness.
Hey I didn't crap over Shenmue 3 or the Anime. You leave my baby alone.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

OrangeRibbon wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:37 pm
ian wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:41 pm

Hey I didn't crap over Shenmue 3 or the Anime. You leave my baby alone.
:olol: I'd still give Dread a 4/5, I just got really salty during the EMMI sequences. Luckily, there was a good stretch of the game that didn't feature them.

I like that the 2D series' music and visuals have matched with the Prime games. There's a great selection of power ups and some really clever puzzles that make it feel a little more fresh.

I also think I miss pixel art too, but the game does look good and runs well.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

A guy over on Reddit built a Switch from mostly non-OEM parts

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

That's pretty cool. A waste of time, but cool.

I don't like the look of that dpad.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

More than double the price for Genesis games that most people have multiple times already and some N64 games.

No thanks.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

They've gone totally mental :olol: I still want a couple of those N64 controllers, though

Edit: And I missed the pre order :nono:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Nintendo fans over pay for stuff, so Nintendo charges more.

Surprised Pikachu face...
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

ian wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:25 am Nintendo fans over pay for stuff, so Nintendo charges more.

Surprised Pikachu face...
And in an asbolutely confounding way, too. Expansion pack for an online service? WTF does that mean? They've got brass ones, at this point I have to respect how much they disrespect their customers.

But those damn first-party titles, I tell ya :olol: I've come around on Metroid Dread, the movement options are great but I've got stone hands. Also worth noting too that Nintendo hasn't developed its own Metroid game in 20 years.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I saw an article that said the expansion is expensive due to Sega getting a lot of money for their games. That's cool. Not cool for us though.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:28 am I saw an article that said the expansion is expensive due to Sega getting a lot of money for their games. That's cool. Not cool for us though.
For how much I love the idea of Sega setting the tone and despite how much I love the Genesis/Mega Drive, I would've noped out of those negotiations if I were Nintendo. Paying a monthly fee for Sega's 16-bit games is ridiculous considering that the SEGA Genesis Classics is only $30.

That or Brad Buxer has an iron-clad hold on Sonic 3&K's soundtrack and SEGA is held hostage to spend big bucks to re-release those sweet tunes.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

pixel wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:43 am
He posted another video comparing it to the original on a CRT. There is 5 frames of delay between the two. There’s no way you wouldn’t feel that playing the game.

And of course there’s just bad emulation, like the fog effect.

If this was just another bonus that we got with our Online subscription, I would just shrug it off. But the fact that you have to pay extra for such bad emulation is insulting. They simply grabbed the Mario 3D All-Stars emulator and dumped a bunch of games into it without any concern for accuracy or functionality.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

melancholy wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:09 am If this was just another bonus that we got with our Online subscription, I would just shrug it off. But the fact that you have to pay extra for such bad emulation is insulting. They simply grabbed the Mario 3D All-Stars emulator and dumped a bunch of games into it without any concern for accuracy or functionality.
Agreed, it's just so baffling to me. Nintendo's special brand of arrogance has mutated from casual annoyances to flat-out maliciousness. At this point, I'm convinced Nintendo is just a shell company with no actual developers on staff.